• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Patriots' Dark Days

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was on a Facebook thread and the Patriots "Dark Days" were brought up, to which I replied:

"That's the funny thing... We remember the dark days, but really they were the dark day. 90 to 92 and 93 they were on the upswing. 60's were mostly reasonably competitive, 70's started bad but gained momentum to a couple great years at the end. 80's were up and down but what a year 85 was! I have to admit the Victor Kiam days were horrible, which we circle back to 90-92, then that was over, done, kaput."

Looking back and comparing them to, dare I say, every other team, did the Pats truly have dark days?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on the other thread references to "not having a home" in the 60's and the trash pit Schafer/Sullivan Stadium was. I guess we felt a bit like NFL second citizens, but we loved our team and we had a few good teams sandwhiched with mostly mediocre teams. Certainly not Arizona, Cincy, cough, the Yets, Buffalo and Detroit.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pats were mediocre for most of their history until the turn of the century.

Early on they were entertaining and actually lost to the Chargers for the AFL title one year. They had very sparse years when Billy Sullivan let his two boys dabble with the team. They had their best year in a many in 1985 and sadly had to face the Bears. They hit the skids until Kraft purchased the team and went to their second SB against the Packers and Bill Parcells basically crapped out because he had a deal with the jets and didn't address the team after the game or fly back with them.

Everything turned completely around with the hiring of Bill Belichick. The rest is history.

I, like most New Englanders, lived and died with this team for the first forty years and the last twenty have been a blessing.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pats were mediocre for most of their history until the turn of the century.

Early on they were entertaining and actually lost to the Chargers for the AFL title one year. They had very sparse years when Billy Sullivan let his two boys dabble with the team. They had their best year in a many in 1985 and sadly had to face the Bears. They hit the skids until Kraft purchased the team and went to their second SB against the Packers and Bill Parcells basically crapped out because he had a deal with the jets and didn't address the team after the game or fly back with them.

Everything turned completely around with the hiring of Bill Belichick. The rest is history.

I, like most New Englanders, lived and died with this team for the first forty years and the last twenty have been a blessing.
But looking back, do you really consider any of it as long enough to qualify as "Dark Days".

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But looking back, do you really consider any of it as long enough to qualify as "Dark Days".

Nah. We weren't like the Lions, Bears or Colts during those same years. Or worse, the Browns. There were a lot of teams whose fans suffered much worse than us.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kiam era was dark AF. They were bad on the field and an embarrassment off it, as well.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kiam era was dark AF. They were bad on the field and an embarrassment off it, as well.
but it was so short... I remember those days and the heartbreak and embarrassment, patriot missile and all.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiam was a "Shadow" era, not quite "Dark".

His razors sucked and buying the Patriots didn't make them any better.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been a fan since 78-79’. Living in Idaho, I barely saw them on tv. And there was no internet at the time. Just Sports Illustrated. I’m sure I’d be mad or upset if the Patriots went 2-14 now, since I can watch every game and see interviews. It’s really hard for me to remember those few bad years. Spoiled fan for a long long time. And I’m glad!

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started watching in 85 but was pretty young so didn't care that much. Honestly, my "dark days" for the Pats is when they wouldn't bench Bledsoe season after season. I know I'm in the minority but I really hated that dude. Watching him play was painful. And NO he did not win the AFFCG for us when Brady got hurt. He went on one TD drive. If he had played the whole game we would've lost and who knows about the dynasty.

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem. As soon as Belichick gets sick of AB's shenanigans they'll just cut him loose. :dhd:

PatsFanInColtsCountry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the upside, it pretty easy to get a ticket on gameday, for the privilege of parking my ass on a frozen metal bleacher.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started watching in 85 but was pretty young so didn't care that much. Honestly, my "dark days" for the Pats is when they wouldn't bench Bledsoe season after season. I know I'm in the minority but I really hated that dude. Watching him play was painful. And NO he did not win the AFFCG for us when Brady got hurt. He went on one TD drive. If he had played the whole game we would've lost and who knows about the dynasty.
I was a Bledsoe fan and I grew tired of his shtick. First, he saw himself as a world class passer and lost sight of his other QB duties. Second, he'd go off script to try and save the day, even when the day might be saved fine by the script. Then he'd stand at the podium and act like a man taking responsibility for the loss.... Taking responsibility would be improving your footwork, not pounding your chest saying "yup, that ones on me".

To be fair, he was a good guy who was born with too hard of a head. He's certainly not the first nor last pro athlete to have that affliction.

When I saw Brady was executing well and the rumors started that Tom was staying in, my lone thought was "Coach's call".

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the upside, it pretty easy to get a ticket on gameday, for the privilege of parking my ass on a frozen metal bleacher.
Them seats gave you a good reason to sneak the schnapps in.. though most don't need a reason.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing how those aluminum seats were 20 degrees colder than the winter air.
O, and another bad thing, Rod Rust.

You forgot to mention the trough urinals...

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot to mention the trough urinals...

They had public ones in Nagasaki in 1970. Outdoor, public toilets for both men and women to use near ground zero. I was 20, from Maine and totally shocked seeing a woman about 75 pull up her kimono and squatting over a little river of water flowing through a marble base about the size of a MLB infield.

I hated the drunks in Sullivan who always had to turn toward you in the middle of a piss because they thought they had something worth saying when they pissed on your shoes and pant leg.