• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Pacers let the media scrutiny best them in 2014

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pacers may have taken the Heat to six games this year, but it really didn't feel like it was that close.

For those of you that hadn't followed this team over the last decade like I have, the Pacers during the Jim O'Brien era were a notoriously soft jump-shooting team, with the likes of Danny Granger, Brandon Rush, and Troy Murphy. No one was a bigger critic of this particular era than myself. The CBS guys know this.

One key holdover from that regime was Frank Vogel, O'Brien's top assistant who took over after O'Brien's firing during the 2011 season and has held the job since. As some of those players had moved on, the Pacers had started to experience greater success and ultimately battled the Heat to seven games in 2013. The team played with a chip on their shoulder with nothing to lose.

That series was the official coming-out party in terms on being on the radar of the national media. This was the team that was supposed to dethrone the Heat. The fairweather fans were bothered by this. Suddenly, these Pacers were supposed to win.

After a hot start this season, the pressure was mounting down the stretch. These guys had never before faced this kind of media barrage as a group. The players had lost their edge, and forgot how to have fun with the game.

Even as the team battled through the scrutiny and got through the first two rounds against Atlanta and Washington, you always had the sense that this team just didn't have the pedigree to win a title. That's why in my view that the time is now to officially turn the page on the prior regime. Remove Vogel. He has done some great things for this team, but sometimes you've just got to move on in order to take the next step to win a conference championship and possibly beyond.

Lionel Hollins is #1 on my personal list to replace him, followed by Mark Jackson at #2.

The worst thing this team could do is break up the core of the team, even if changes to the bench and to the coaching staff are inevitable. The East will always be considered the weaker conference, and we were in a position that 26 other teams could only dream of.

As far as tangibles go, the Pacers' big men didn't give us the same edge as last year, while Miami was able to spread the ball and not rely entirely on LeBron, unlike last year. Those were the difference in the series.

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!!! We'll get 'em next year...

Go Spurs Go!

(Popovich was a graduate from here in Merrillville, Indiana, among other reasons:laugh3:)

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of this but 2 questions for you regarding the Pacers.

1) You think Vogel is gone or will Bird give him another chance because they made it to the ECF again?

2) Will they go all out to bring back Lance?

3) How is the cap situation for them? Will they be able to bring in a true PG?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) If you could tell by Bird's body language at the games he hadn't been happy with the team's play. Hopefully he saw what I saw last night. No real strategic gameplanning, on either side of the ball but especially on offense. Guys were dribbling all over the place, no ball movement.

2) Regardless of what the media makes of him, the Pacers should absolutely do whatever it take to keep Lance long-term. He gives us that "nasty" factor. Can't beat the Heat with a bunch of choir boys.

3) The cap situation is not ideal, as I've said a couple weeks ago in my Mahinmi thread. The Pacers may have to give up another draft pick just to shed some salary and secure keeping Lance. I don't think a true PG is mandatory as long as Lance is here. With their ability to knock down open shots, Hill and Watson are more than serviceable at the position. I was definitely more satisfied with George Hill's performance this year over last. Last year he played as if he was afraid of LeBron.

I don't like to make excuses, but Bird probably made one move too many mid-season and it created too many uncertain roles. I don't think he would have signed Bynum had he known he was going to make the deal with Philly...

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality of it. This team is simply not that good.
They are good. They are not great.

They are a 49-53 win type team that played well over their heads early on.
They were never a true 60-65 win type team.

It brought unrealistic expectations and smothering media attention.
It was probably unfair pressure.

In some ways, they might have been better off starting out 26-14 instead of 33-7.
That became an unrealistic burden.

This season is not a failure.
Vogel likely needs to go, but overall it was a successful season for Indiana's talent level.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't buy this. George and Stephenson are both only 24 and still have plenty of room to grow. I just think this team was all too accustomed to the mediocrity of the O'Brien regime (and its holdover).

Bring in a coach with a more winning pedigree.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In some ways, they might have been better off starting out 26-14 instead of 33-7.

Vogel likely needs to go, but overall it was a successful season for Indiana's talent level.

In fairness they brought a lot of the media attention on themselves.

I think the pacers are sort of damned if they do, damned if they don't with lance.

Without him, this team would have serious holes to fill and not much cap room.

With him... well you deal with the antics and immaturity. only now he has his payday. and you have even less cap flexibility.

They overpaid hibbert, west and hill. That is going to cost them in the next few years.

My two cents

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy this. George and Stephenson are both only 24 and still have plenty of room to grow. I just think this team was all too accustomed to the mediocrity of the O'Brien regime (and its holdover).

Bring in a coach with a more winning pedigree.

This is laughable. You are blaming the coach from 3 years ago?

You also can't blame the media scrutiny, it doesn't have a jersey. You CAN blame the immaturity of IND as players though. Not cooperating and Kobeing teammates at every chance is not good for team chemistry.

I agree about George and Stephenson can grow into making this team better than good but by then how old will West be and where will Hibbert be good?

:agree:

Vogel needs to go because of his offense. He would make a great co-coach with D'Antoni.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is official that Vogel will return per CBS SPORTS

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness they brought a lot of the media attention on themselves.

I think the pacers are sort of damned if they do, damned if they don't with lance.

Without him, this team would have serious holes to fill and not much cap room.

With him... well you deal with the antics and immaturity. only now he has his payday. and you have even less cap flexibility.

They overpaid hibbert, west and hill. That is going to cost them in the next few years.

My two cents

You wouldn't ever be able to legitly back that one up.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Hibbert crying about touches and people being selfish brought media attention to them in the regular season? And when you're a top team and starts to struggles as they did that will catch the media attention

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Hibbert crying about touches and people being selfish brought media attention to them in the regular season? And when you're a top team and starts to struggles as they did that will catch the media attention

I think Hibbert at that time was looking to light a fire under the team during a slump. I don't think throwing his teammate under the bus was his intention even though it came out that way and that I wouldn't recommend him do that again.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"we got some selfish dudes on this team"

They also made their quest for homecourt a VERY VERY public matter. Lance Stephenson draws an UNBELIEVABLE amount of media attention with all of his antics including how he handled being snubbed from the all star game

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back on it now...they screwed themselves the moment they said, "if we would of had HC last year in game 7, we would of won"

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back on it now...they screwed themselves the moment they said, "if we would of had HC last year in game 7, we would of won"

Yep and now there's no more excuses. As David West said last night " We just can't beat them"

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"CBS message board legend"