• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet if you looked at the average margin of score differential UW has been trending up. Wins are all that matters, but there are other ways of looking at how a team is trending. Rebuilding their defense to the point of leading the Pac and turning the first ever true freshmen QB in school history into a viable threat in the same season their feature back was also a freshman was quite a feat.

Surprised more people aren't talking about WSU. Falk put together a hell of a season last year and I'm sure he and Gabe Marks will take another step forward this year.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to direct myself back over here. I'm probably annoying the living piss out of all my real life friends who don't give a shit about college football. It has been all I've been talking about the past few months. I think this is probably the most emotionally invested I've been in CFB in my life. Huskies have sucked pretty much my entire adult life and I strongly believe this will be the best season the Huskies have had since I've been old enough to care.

I'm surprised the UW forum isn't more active. Might just start annoying people on here about college football instead.
UW board has never been that lively, but I'm sure once camp opens up and there's something to talk about beyond the hype we've covered here things should pick up.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised more people aren't talking about WSU. Falk put together a hell of a season last year and I'm sure he and Gabe Marks will take another step forward this year.
They are talking about them. The media hype machine has them picked somewhere between 2nd and 4th, with a lot of them taking WSU over Oregon. And it's been discussed up here quite a bit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW board has never been that lively, but I'm sure once camp opens up and there's something to talk about beyond the hype we've covered here things should pick up.

It's incredible, and almost a little concerning how much hype there has been. I would've expected threads based on that alone.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are talking about them. The media hype machine has them picked somewhere between 2nd and 4th, with a lot of them taking WSU over Oregon. And it's been discussed up here quite a bit.

All I hear about in the media regarding the Pac-12 surprisingly is UW. The biggest story lines I've seen are UW emerging, can Stanford recover after losing so many players and will Oregon be able to sustain itself without a proven commodity at QB. Don't really seem to hear much talk about any Pac-12 teams aside those 3. But then again, that could just be what I'm focusing on.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random side note: Surprised there have only been 4 of these threads. Seems like this the Pac-12 thread has always been super active since I've come here.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's incredible, and almost a little concerning how much hype there has been. I would've expected threads based on that alone.
Most of us have been quite reserved in our views of the hype. A 7-6 team that hasn't won 9 games in a very long time and has so many key players still underclassmen is suddenly the sexy pick to be a dark horse for the playoffs, more or less take the Pac. We have been saying up here we love the attention, but aren't buying into it until we see it. Mostly because it feels like the love is as much about what the media thinks of Petersen as much as facts of the team itself.

UW needs to learn how to win big games on the road before you start anointing them. Same thing happened back with the James era. You aren't elite until you can go on the road and beat tough teams that you aren't favored to beat. Petersen doesn't have many updates under his belt here. Even beating drunk Sark wasn't really that impressive considering the timing of it and where their HC was at then.

They do get Stanford and Oregon at the right times if they are going to upset them, but until they go show they are up to the task everyone should be guarded IMO.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I hear about in the media regarding the Pac-12 surprisingly is UW. The biggest story lines I've seen are UW emerging, can Stanford recover after losing so many players and will Oregon be able to sustain itself without a proven commodity at QB. Don't really seem to hear much talk about any Pac-12 teams aside those 3. But then again, that could just be what I'm focusing on.
The Pac12 media polls had WSU either 3rd or 4th behind Stanford and UW with them flip flopping with Oregon.

I've been quite surprised at just how far down they have been listing Oregon. I mean sure they are breaking in a new DC and yet another QB, but it feels like they are being listed a bit low.

Stanford is getting a lot of love and it's mostly Shaw and McCaffrey. They are returning 1 staring O lineman, breaking in a new QB, AND lost most of their receivers of any experience? Reload? Maybe, but go prove it.

All 4 of the teams in the north getting love have potential issues or substantial questions.
WSU has to find some kind of defense. Any kind of defense. And their style leaves their QB taking more hits than any other school in the Pac. That's going to be a concern every single year Leach is there.
Stanford has so many new kids taking on key roles.
Oregon has questions on defense and an unknown QB situation.
UW has questions with their receiving corp, pass rush, LB depth, and overall depth behind their stars.

I've been listing WSU high because of their schedule. Seriously, go look at it if you haven't. It sets up well for them. Their road games are BSU (very early), Stanford, ASU, Oregon State, and Colorado. The rest of their meat is all at home. If they can't make it this year when can they?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us have been quite reserved in our views of the hype. A 7-6 team that hasn't won 9 games in a very long time and has so many key players still underclassmen is suddenly the sexy pick to be a dark horse for the playoffs, more or less take the Pac. We have been saying up here we love the attention, but aren't buying into it until we see it. Mostly because it feels like the love is as much about what the media thinks of Petersen as much as facts of the team itself.

UW needs to learn how to win big games on the road before you start anointing them. Same thing happened back with the James era. You aren't elite until you can go on the road and beat tough teams that you aren't favored to beat. Petersen doesn't have many updates under his belt here. Even beating drunk Sark wasn't really that impressive considering the timing of it and where their HC was at then.

They do get Stanford and Oregon at the right times if they are going to upset them, but until they go show they are up to the task everyone should be guarded IMO.

I get where you are coming from, but I do personally buy into the hype. I think a lot of it is predicated on the fact that the team was so young to begin with. Also, many of the big games that they lost were by a very small margin. I believe that the team will improve substantially mostly based on the fact that many of the key players were so young. At 19/20 years old your body is not even close to being fully developed yet, and giving many of those kids another year in the weight room and another year of coaching I believe will be immensely beneficial.

I believe UW will have one of the best defenses in the nation. My biggest concerns for the team are mostly based on offense. Can Jake Browning take the next step? He showed incredible improvement as the season went on. Will someone step up at WR? Will a very young and mediocre offensive line show improvement after another year in the weight room? I believe even if the offense doesn't show substantial improvement, this is a 9 win team. But if the offense takes the next step, that will push them over 9 wins.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW still lost some major pieces of their pass rush last year and left big shoes to fill in that aspect. Doesn't mean they won't, but go prove it.

I'm excited and can't wait, but I always keep it real. We will know a lot more about their progress at the half way point. Come out 6-0 and everyone will believe the hype.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac12 media polls had WSU either 3rd or 4th behind Stanford and UW with them flip flopping with Oregon.

I've been quite surprised at just how far down they have been listing Oregon. I mean sure they are breaking in a new DC and yet another QB, but it feels like they are being listed a bit low.

Stanford is getting a lot of love and it's mostly Shaw and McCaffrey. They are returning 1 staring O lineman, breaking in a new QB, AND lost most of their receivers of any experience? Reload? Maybe, but go prove it.

All 4 of the teams in the north getting love have potential issues or substantial questions.
WSU has to find some kind of defense. Any kind of defense. And their style leaves their QB taking more hits than any other school in the Pac. That's going to be a concern every single year Leach is there.
Stanford has so many new kids taking on key roles.
Oregon has questions on defense and an unknown QB situation.
UW has questions with their receiving corp, pass rush, LB depth, and overall depth behind their stars.

I've been listing WSU high because of their schedule. Seriously, go look at it if you haven't. It sets up well for them. Their road games are BSU (very early), Stanford, ASU, Oregon State, and Colorado. The rest of their meat is all at home. If they can't make it this year when can they?

With Oregon I think that the biggest question is quarterback. When they didn't have Vernon Adams the team didn't look as good as it could've. QB play is a huge variable for Oregon at this point. If they manage to find someone as strong as Adams, they are still a serious threat. If they don't, then this will be a down year for Oregon.

Oregon got pretty lucky landing Adams to begin with. I don't see them winning more than 6 games without him. I think it is understated the impact he made for that team. He was a damn good quarterback and I'm surprised that he didn't receive more NFL interest, but that is a different conversation.

Stanford is getting a lot of love because it is Stanford. McCaffrey and Shaw are sexy to like. In addition, I think people aren't too concerned about them replacing the offensive line due to the fact that they recruit very strongly there, and at QB it's not like they had tremendous QB play to begin with.

I think UW's biggest question is if the offense can compete with top tier teams. On offense the depth at linebacker is not tremendous, but the starters are solid and they have a ridiculous amount of depth in the secondary and a bunch of really interesting players on the defensive line. I don't think that the defense really warrants much concern, the offense is what would worry me.

I really like WSU this year. I think I would actually pick them to win the Apple cup this year at this point. Hell, I picked them to win the Apple Cup last year. WSU didn't really get the credit it deserved last year after that abysmal loss to start the season. I was surprised, even with a backup QB how poorly they played against the Huskies.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey wait...is this a Huskie fan giving Wazzou a "gummer hummer" right now?

World peace...

How can I hate WSU when they're such an inferior school to us? Academically, athletically, location... The only thing WSU has on UW is the women. And even that comes with an asterisk since they're all brain dead. UW and WSU students both have something in common, they both applied to UW.

I've never disliked WSU for those facts. I dislike Oregon more because they've kicked our ass the entirety of my adult life.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Oregon I think that the biggest question is quarterback. When they didn't have Vernon Adams the team didn't look as good as it could've. QB play is a huge variable for Oregon at this point. If they manage to find someone as strong as Adams, they are still a serious threat. If they don't, then this will be a down year for Oregon.

Oregon got pretty lucky landing Adams to begin with. I don't see them winning more than 6 games without him. I think it is understated the impact he made for that team. He was a damn good quarterback and I'm surprised that he didn't receive more NFL interest, but that is a different conversation.

Stanford is getting a lot of love because it is Stanford. McCaffrey and Shaw are sexy to like. In addition, I think people aren't too concerned about them replacing the offensive line due to the fact that they recruit very strongly there, and at QB it's not like they had tremendous QB play to begin with.

I think UW's biggest question is if the offense can compete with top tier teams. On offense the depth at linebacker is not tremendous, but the starters are solid and they have a ridiculous amount of depth in the secondary and a bunch of really interesting players on the defensive line. I don't think that the defense really warrants much concern, the offense is what would worry me.

I really like WSU this year. I think I would actually pick them to win the Apple cup this year at this point. Hell, I picked them to win the Apple Cup last year. WSU didn't really get the credit it deserved last year after that abysmal loss to start the season. I was surprised, even with a backup QB how poorly they played against the Huskies.
The pass rush was nasty in that AC. That was a huge factor. You take a backup and tell them they have maybe 2 seconds before they have to have their radar on high alert? That's the question this year. Can they be as solid on the rush as last year? We know Victor is going to blow up stuff over the middle, but they need solid outside play and a rush to compliment that back end.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, guys. Hope all of you are having a great summer. Cfb is on the horizon. Can't wait. Hope you all are geared up and ready.

Do you know where I can get any authentic jerseys cheap? :heh:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 wins? Big woop. Don James dominated us for most of his career then quit like a baby once Mike Price beat him up a bit.

Oh no, Price left us for a top 5 program of all time, Don James stomped like a 13 year old girl and took his half a trophy and went home.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WSU people who apply to UW do it accidentally like not pulling out. At least we are nice like when you have a STD and say hi my name is Joe, I applied to UW, then all is forgiven as everyone is allowed one mistake in their life. UW alums always make at least two, going their and taking a job where a Coug is their boss.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, although there are plenty of Bruins fans here on the Hoop, never is there any activity on the Bruins forum.

Outside of myself, I have seen a few Bruins fans poster here on the PAC thread but nothing ever consistent. The dawgs are fortunate to have so many here on the PAC thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.