• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. Everything you say can be said about players from all the sports that dont bring in a dime. These players participate in a sport that everyone is cashing in on. Coaches and administrators in yachts and living like movie stars and the NCAA people making bank, networks spending and getting billions. But these athletes are being told they are amateurs.
The graduation rate minus the ones who really didn't earn the degree but showed up so they got passed and you have way less players who were able to get something out of college. More typical is the kid who never had the grades never had the tools but was at practice when the regular kids who did have the grade had to spend time studying and somehow he got a degree. And you're thought is. He can work for someone who did study did make something and that's enough and he should be happy because I didn't get that opportunity. But what that kid had that you didn't have is talent in a sport that people pay a lot of money to see. And they reward that talent with the same thing some guy on the rowing team gets.And it's just my opinion. I know you disagree.
You keep speaking in circles and ignoring the financial reality. Not that I'm shocked by this of course.

I don't care if the school brings in shit loads more for what football players are doing on the field than kids there playing soccer. It really has no meaning at all to me. None. Zero. They are amateur athletes that agree to play a game they love in exchange for an education. Just like the kids of every other scholarship sport. I don't believe the kids who play volleyball should get chumped out of of making what football players do simply because of how many fans are/aren't in the stands for them.

There are a lot of people making huge sums of money. Of course there are. The TV networks alone make a fortune. You keep getting hung up on how much those coaches are making, but given how much they are bringing into the universities it's money well spent. It takes money to make money.

Those kids are at higher risk of injury than most other sports and that is a valid point of discussion. It's why they should get medical for anything that happens to them there for life. Not lifetime medical, just medical that covers anything that happened while playing.

They are not allowed to work side jobs and therefor should be allowed a stipend that covers what a typical college part time job would. That's as far as I'd go. Period. I really don't give a flying rip how much money is exchanging hands based off their play. Not even one tiny little bit. It has no relevance to me in any way, shape, or form. That money belongs to the university and is used to fund a whole lot of programs. I have zero problem with this and thankfully, most of those in positions to do anything about it agree with me.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep speaking in circles and ignoring the financial reality. Not that I'm shocked by this of course.

I don't care if the school brings in shit loads more for what football players are doing on the field than kids there playing soccer. It really has no meaning at all to me. None. Zero. They are amateur athletes that agree to play a game they love in exchange for an education. Just like the kids of every other scholarship sport. I don't believe the kids who play volleyball should get chumped out of of making what football players do simply because of how many fans are/aren't in the stands for them.

There are a lot of people making huge sums of money. Of course there are. The TV networks alone make a fortune. You keep getting hung up on how much those coaches are making, but given how much they are bringing into the universities it's money well spent. It takes money to make money.

Those kids are at higher risk of injury than most other sports and that is a valid point of discussion. It's why they should get medical for anything that happens to them there for life. Not lifetime medical, just medical that covers anything that happened while playing.

They are not allowed to work side jobs and therefor should be allowed a stipend that covers what a typical college part time job would. That's as far as I'd go. Period. I really don't give a flying rip how much money is exchanging hands based off their play. Not even one tiny little bit. It has no relevance to me in any way, shape, or form. That money belongs to the university and is used to fund a whole lot of programs. I have zero problem with this and thankfully, most of those in positions to do anything about it agree with me.

So it's not just me who feels like the conversations and arguments go in circles and only cater to a narrow part of the argument when talking with Jim?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the people getting fat paychecks agree with you for sure. No need to upset the apple cart lets keep getting those kids playing I have my eye on a nice house on the water.lol. Gotta love amateur sports.
Oh and you being ok with it really makes it all ok. lol

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's not just me who feels like the conversations and arguments go in circles and only cater to a narrow part of the argument when talking with Jim?

Yeah, only you believes Ducks have accomplished more than being fashionistas with nothing to show for it.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, only you believes Ducks have accomplished more than being fashionistas with nothing to show for it.
well when every other pundit and magazine call them a contender year after year, call them a national power, call then an elite team, I tend to go with them over fans from other/opposing/rival schools.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let CFB remain as an amateur sport and the unpaid minor leagues for the NFL.
I agreed with everything but the bolded part. It is not (and should be be) the responsibility of college athletics to provide a developmental league for the pros. Let them provide their own developmental leagues (as is done in baseball and hockey.)

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agreed with everything but the bolded part. It is not (and should be be) the responsibility of college athletics to provide a developmental league for the pros. Let them provide their own developmental leagues (as is done in baseball and hockey.)
I like the "semi-pro" leagues too. to me that term would indicate a developmental type league but in reality most semi pro guys never even played college but were pretty good in HS.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does it on purpose. Boredom probably.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the teams in Canada eh?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Developmental league for the NFL?

Like there is a shortage of college level programs, including the JUCOs, for players to develop themselves?

The last F'n thing we need a developmental league that pays players.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the "semi-pro" leagues too. to me that term would indicate a developmental type league but in reality most semi pro guys never even played college but were pretty good in HS.

I've said for years that I'd like to see the NFL have a developmental league along the lines of what the NBA has. It would be for guys who aren't necessarily college material, but are good football players.

They could put them in football crazy places where they don't have NFL teams. Places like Alabama, Oregon, Arkansas, etc.

Give them say, 4-5 years max to either earn their way to the NFL or move on to the rest of their life.

The drawback would be that it may damage the quality of CFB.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does it on purpose. Boredom probably.

Maybe a little.
I do believe way to many people are rich because of something that's being called an amateur sport and I see poor kids who should be helped. But I think change is coming. I just find it hilarious that the NCAA can't see to bring themselves to do anything about schools like UNC having decades of academic fraud run by the actual school with phony classes and giving athletes passing grades for not attending the phony classes yet they brought the hammer down on USC because a player and his parents got money on the side. Which proves that the NCAA cares about protecting the money coming out of the trough not the welfare of the students. So any chance I get to bash the NZAA I take it.
Oh and Wiz you believe the same about the Ducks as I do. lol.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well when every other pundit and magazine call them a contender year after year, call them a national power, call then an elite team, I tend to go with them over fans from other/opposing/rival schools.

A contender, yes. Power team, yes.Elite, well we differ on that. But being good and accomplishing something are two different things. You were supposed to be better than we almost won , we won a Rose bowl. The ducks , A&M, Baylor all flashy point scoring in your face teams who in the end never got to the top. But a lot of the Duck fans pounded their chest thinking it was inevitable so they prematurely congratulated themselves and poo pooed everyone else and the ball rimmed out and the clock struck zero.
But life would be boring without you Ducks. So maybe this year when no one gives them a shot they actually win the thing. Thats sports. That's why they play the game on the field.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree, it is not a responsibility of college athletics, but that is what it is and will continue to be what it is.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would the pros even want to consider a minor or developmental leaque when CFB provides the finest coaches and facilities for player development. Then, what's the incentive for all these college programs if they are not making money?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a little.
I do believe way to many people are rich because of something that's being called an amateur sport and I see poor kids who should be helped. But I think change is coming. I just find it hilarious that the NCAA can't see to bring themselves to do anything about schools like UNC having decades of academic fraud run by the actual school with phony classes and giving athletes passing grades for not attending the phony classes yet they brought the hammer down on USC because a player and his parents got money on the side. Which proves that the NCAA cares about protecting the money coming out of the trough not the welfare of the students. So any chance I get to bash the NZAA I take it.
I was referring to your posting style, not the content of it.

I've never denied intentionally stirring up the pot at times and I doubt you do either. Doesn't mean you don't believe in your points. Just saying you do like to kick a little sand while making them.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oly, as you know, it takes two to tango.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Oregon. I really don't care what the national media says about them or what their fans think. As long as they continue to fall flat on the national stage and come up short on title runs I'm entirely satisfied. Anything else is just entertainment.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a little.
Understandable that USC fans have a hardon for the "NZAA". The situation at NC shows the NCAA took full advantage of an opportunity to screw USC.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to your posting style, not the content of it.

I've never denied intentionally stirring up the pot at times and I doubt you do either. Doesn't mean you don't believe in your points. Just saying you do like to kick a little sand while making them.

Yeah a little . I don';t want to get into it but you've had your moments. We can't all be the same. It would be boring as hell .

Status
Not open for further replies.