• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The O Line

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the RT debacle currently present. I have not paid attention to the OL play.

Has Reiff been doing the job? I have seen a few sacks, anyone got stats on who they are coming from?

The run blocking is still suspect IMO... Seems Lombardi is a little less pass happy and the run blocking surely needs to be better. Jets will be a good test on rushing.

Was Dom 2013 a flash in the pan? I guess I will pay better attention is game 5. Living through you guys for half the games every season

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't surprised by the difficult time running against NY and Car. They're good run defenses.
Same thing coming this Sunday.
Still saw a team pick up first downs on the ground and run clock late in both games. When it mattered.

And I don't think pass blocking was as bad as some made it out to be at Carolina. Late in the game yes. Early on it was solid.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned not all world in Packers game, but did like late first downs though. Run was enough to let play action also a plus.

I was getting tired of eating snickers on late game sustaining drives.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to need to find a serviceable RT. We made Julius Peppers look like he was 24, instead of 34 years old. He was in the backfield all game. He only ended up with one sack and one forced fumble, but he was reeking havoc all game. Hopefully Lucas can hold down the RT spot going forward.

Reiff has looked good this year. You don't hear his name much during games and as an OL, that is a good thing.

We definitely need to work on our run blocking. It is bizarre though. We won't be able to run the ball all game long -- like our first game against the Giants and our last game against the Packers. Yet when we need to sustain a drive late to put the game away -- we have been able to run the ball.

Not sure if it has to do with the overall condition of the OL and just being fresher late in games or they are all on the same page late in games. But whatever it is -- the offense would be really good if we show we can run the ball before the end of the 4th quarter.

Right now -- teams aren't respecting our run game at all, as there has been no consistency. Detroit becomes predictable when they abandon the run and start passing almost every down. I think once the line has another game or two together under the new scheme -- they will continue to get better. They are learning each game, just like the defense is.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to need to find a serviceable RT. We made Julius Peppers look like he was 24, instead of 34 years old. He was in the backfield all game. He only ended up with one sack and one forced fumble, but he was reeking havoc all game. Hopefully Lucas can hold down the RT spot going forward.

Reiff has looked good this year. You don't hear his name much during games and as an OL, that is a good thing.

We definitely need to work on our run blocking. It is bizarre though. We won't be able to run the ball all game long -- like our first game against the Giants and our last game against the Packers. Yet when we need to sustain a drive late to put the game away -- we have been able to run the ball.

Not sure if it has to do with the overall condition of the OL and just being fresher late in games or they are all on the same page late in games. But whatever it is -- the offense would be really good if we show we can run the ball before the end of the 4th quarter.

Right now -- teams aren't respecting our run game at all, as there has been no consistency. Detroit becomes predictable when they abandon the run and start passing almost every down. I think once the line has another game or two together under the new scheme -- they will continue to get better. They are learning each game, just like the defense is.

You know our starting RT is hurt, but not on IR, right? It sounds like he's going to be expected to give it a go this weekend.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sack fumble was on Stafford, or the coaches, whoever let Peppers go 1-on-1 with a 3rd string RT with no help. Once Stafford saw that, he should've changed the play, or at least secured the ball better knowing the circumstance.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you noticed or not -- Peppers was 1 on 1 with our RT the majority of the game. Peppers is still a solid player, but he isn't the Julius Peppers from 5 years ago.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know our starting RT is hurt, but not on IR, right? It sounds like he's going to be expected to give it a go this weekend.

I know, but i thought I read he damaged ligaments in his foot? If that is the case -- I'm not sure how effective he will be when his mobility will be limited. Maybe they made it sound worse than it actually is.

I truly hope that is the case though. Our RT's were horrible against the Packers.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you noticed or not -- Peppers was 1 on 1 with our RT the majority of the game. Peppers is still a solid player, but he isn't the Julius Peppers from 5 years ago.

Still doesn't excuse not giving our RT some sort of chip/help from a TE/RB, at least something. In 10 years Julius Peppers will still probably be better than a practice squad RT.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still doesn't excuse not giving our RT some sort of chip/help from a TE/RB, at least something. In 10 years Julius Peppers will still probably be better than a practice squad RT.

Pettigrew should be parked right next to the RT, whoever it is, for the time being. Im not expecting any rookie that couldn't beat out Corey Hilliard to step in an excel. Not right off the bat anyways.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I noticed. Peppers ten years from now is prolly better than that kid.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Lucas even play? I saw Reynolds out there most of the times that I looked. I would like to see what Lucas can do. Would like to see hime take over by next year and make Wadell the swing since he can play both sides decent.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Lucas even play? I saw Reynolds out there most of the times that I looked. I would like to see what Lucas can do. Would like to see hime take over by next year and make Wadell the swing since he can play both sides decent.

Lucas played more than Reynolds.

And is getting the majority of snaps in practice this week.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the RT debacle currently present. I have not paid attention to the OL play.

Has Reiff been doing the job? I have seen a few sacks, anyone got stats on who they are coming from?

The run blocking is still suspect IMO... Seems Lombardi is a little less pass happy and the run blocking surely needs to be better. Jets will be a good test on rushing.

Was Dom 2013 a flash in the pan? I guess I will pay better attention is game 5. Living through you guys for half the games every season

RT has been horrible. Everywhere else pass protection has been decent. Not really good, but decent. The run game has been ok. They've made holes at times, and done nothing at times. Early in games they are getting no push up the middle, late in games they are getting what they need. With teams focusing on our pass attack I'd like to see better from the O line. But they havent lost us any games, and helped close out 2 so thats a plus.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas played more than Reynolds.

And is getting the majority of snaps in practice this week.

it was almost split but Lucas definitely had more snaps.
Pettigrew should be parked right next to the RT, whoever it is, for the time being. Im not expecting any rookie that couldn't beat out Corey Hilliard to step in an excel. Not right off the bat anyways.

Pettigrew played 49 snaps out of 75 plays. I assume as a blocker.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Lucas even play? I saw Reynolds out there most of the times that I looked

Reynolds was benched after the play where Peppers walked right around him and sacked Stafford, forcing the fumble.

Lucas played the rest of the game.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrew played 49 snaps out of 75 plays. I assume as a blocker.

Pettigrew has played the most snaps at TE each week. They move him around. Haven't paid too much attention to him though. Not even sure how often he runs patterns.

The part I hate about our TE's is Ebron only getting 22 or 23 snaps last week. Teams should be getting so much more out of a top 10 draft pick when it is spent on a skill position player.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrew has played the most snaps at TE each week. They move him around. Haven't paid too much attention to him though. Not even sure how often he runs patterns.

The part I hate about our TE's is Ebron only getting 22 or 23 snaps last week. Teams should be getting so much more out of a top 10 draft pick when it is spent on a skill position player.

If the Lions are winning this doesn't bother me. Especially if he is contributing by next year. Some first round picks take some grooming. Get him out there 20 plays a game, get him up to NFL speed. I expect him to take a bigger role by the end of this year, and be a real contributor by next year. Realistically the other players we might have been eyeing at 10 were Donald, Pryor and Dix. And I dont think they'd be making much of an impact at this point either. I am not going to be down on a draft pick 3 games into his career. Give it time.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, but i thought I read he damaged ligaments in his foot? If that is the case -- I'm not sure how effective he will be when his mobility will be limited. Maybe they made it sound worse than it actually is.

I truly hope that is the case though. Our RT's were horrible against the Packers.

No, that was Hilliard, and he's on IR with a Lisfranc.

Waddle injured his calf, not expected to be a long-term thing since he's been pretty much day-to-day since it happened...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynolds was benched after the play where Peppers walked right around him and sacked Stafford, forcing the fumble.

Lucas played the rest of the game.

Well that's good then. Reynolds is more of a guard IMO. I would replace Sims with him late in games when we need to run out the clock.

Its also good that I didn't notice Lucas. That means he probably was not terrible. It might also explain why were able to run the ball better the last couple of drives.