• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL should get rid of divisions

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's just no need for them other than to preserve some of the long-standing rivalries (and there are other ways to do that) Because of divisions, we're gonna see a couple of teams more deserving of a playoff spot miss that tournament b/c a team from the NFCE "has" to get in. It really just doesn't make any sense, and it's a system that is NOT putting the absolute best teams possible in the post-season.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Me & my buddies was talking about that. While we was watching the Dal/GB game. Bcuz we're gonna have teams with better records. Going on the road in the 1st round of the playoffs. But our division was like that not 2 long ago.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain how scheduling is going to work. 2 divisions of 16 teams? 4 divisions of 8 teams? Would there be any AFC/NFC games except for the Super Bowl?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four divisions still maintain the rivalries as long as the competitive balance/nature of the game....

I get what you're saying but years like this year or better in terms of teams performance doesn't happen that often to warrant a change. I know the NBA is having a horrific year in the EC but that doesn't happen all the time...

Idk if you can say the system sucks where, using an example of the NFC East vs a team like the Cards.. it just happens that the Eagles defeated the Cards head to head, so why disqualify the Eagles? AZ has an excellent record and its unfortunate that 3 other teams, a combo of SF/NO/CAR, are having just as good or better years...

Cards has lost to both SF n NO but defeated NO..... it happens to be that the teams in front of AZ had beaten them(SF gm still play but SF wins tie breaker IIRC)

I'm assuming its AZ that has the misfortune in terms of teams in playoff hunt

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain how scheduling is going to work. 2 divisions of 16 teams? 4 divisions of 8 teams? Would there be any AFC/NFC games except for the Super Bowl?

A rotation, and no, like I said, there would be NO divisions. Just two conferences, AFC and NFC, who play each other based on a rotation.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four divisions still maintain the rivalries as long as the competitive balance/nature of the game....

I get what you're saying but years like this year or better in terms of teams performance doesn't happen that often to warrant a change. I know the NBA is having a horrific year in the EC but that doesn't happen all the time...

Idk if you can say the system sucks where, using an example of the NFC East vs a team like the Cards.. it just happens that the Eagles defeated the Cards head to head, so why disqualify the Eagles? AZ has an excellent record and its unfortunate that 3 other teams, a combo of SF/NO/CAR, are having just as good or better years...

Cards has lost to both SF n NO but defeated NO..... it happens to be that the teams in front of AZ had beaten them(SF gm still play but SF wins tie breaker IIRC)

I'm assuming its AZ that has the misfortune in terms of teams in playoff hunt

Even if it happens once, it still makes it a shitty system. The logistical label placed on the divisions in the first place makes no sense.

A team like the Cardinals is most likely going to miss the playoffs because a team from the NFCE has to get in. That's a shitty system. Just remove divisions. Keep scheduling the same if you need the same scheduling structure, but the actual labels of division winners needs to be completely removed.

Are you confident that the 6 best NFC teams are gonna be in the playoffs this year?

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So i'm asking clyde. Wat about the our division made it wit that 7-9 record? Was u feeling like that then? Again just asking.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So i'm asking clyde. Wat about the our division made it wit that 7-9 record? Was u feeling like that then? Again just asking.

Yes. They weren't a playoff caliber team, and got in strictly b/c of our week division. Granted they did beat the Saints, but they played that game up in Seattle when they never should have. Saints were a better team and had the better record, but had to travel TO SEATTLE to play in a tough environment b/c the Seahawks HAD to be the playoffs because of the divisional alignment.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it happens once, it still makes it a shitty system. The logistical label placed on the divisions in the first place makes no sense.

A team like the Cardinals is most likely going to miss the playoffs because a team from the NFCE has to get in. That's a shitty system. Just remove divisions. Keep scheduling the same if you need the same scheduling structure, but the actual labels of division winners needs to be completely removed.

Are you confident that the 6 best NFC teams are gonna be in the playoffs this year?

I would think the divisions add that extra incentive for teams to win as well as promote football interest. If you disregard the divisions and set the rotations at X, would the rivalry between the Giants/Cowboys, Hawks/Niners, Pitt/Ravens etc still hold as much value as before? there might be a chance that said duos won't play each other in a given season.

Again, it sucks for the Cards if they finish 10-6(loss to niners at the end lol) but clearly show that they are a better team over the NFC East winner... This season, however, the Cards DID have a chance to beat the eagles but lost, had they won vs the Eagles, they'll be 10-4 now and be on stand by if Carolina loses next week.

No, I feel that the Cards are better than the East and maybe on par with North but thats it. One team, the cowboys, bears n packers, all ATM, are flies to me in terms of playoff hunt, is the only victim. Now, what happens if Carolina hits a skid and loses their last two? Would you say Carolina should still be in it?

Were you just as favorable to the demolishment of the divisions when seattle at 7-9 won it?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Just conferences. What's the point of divisions?

So what's the scheduling like? Play each team in your conference once is only 15 games. And alternate home/away games with each team every year? Seems college-like. What other fair scheduling options are there if there were just 2 conferences?

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So the Saints should've kicked Seattle azz. But the Hawks won that game. That's why it's the playoffs & we all know anything can happen. But I do feel what your saying.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that at least they could have it so the division winners are guaranteed a playoff spot but they seed by overall record. Indianapolis is a ok to good team (better with Wayne) but they shouldn't host a game unless they have a top three record of their division. IMO.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the scheduling like? Play each team in your conference once is only 15 games. And alternate home/away games with each team every year? Seems college-like. What other fair scheduling options are there if there were just 2 conferences?

The schedule could be any way they want it. No one said you have to play every team in your conference, or that you can't have inter-conference play. Stop trying to make more difficult that it actually is.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Saints should've kicked Seattle azz. But the Hawks won that game. That's why it's the playoffs & we all know anything can happen. But I do feel what your saying.

Seattle should have never been in position to "kicked Seattle azz". That's the freakin' point. Was Seattle the 4th most deserving team in the NFC of a playoff seed that year?

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The divisions work fine for me. I like the idea that an underdog can shake things up in the playoffs. But I do get what you are saying.

A possible solution would be, The Divisions stand but only a Division champ with 10 or more wins can make the playoffs. If there are not six teams with 10 or more wins then the division winner with sub 10 win record can get in.

Actually, after writing that out, it sounds horrible. Way too convoluted!