• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The New Ichiro?

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just saying that isn't the case. Just like tonight, he walked once and was thrown 3 or more strikes on every AB. His first out was a 2nd pitch ball at his shoulders he chased. His singles were all on balls he could drive and just didn't. Not complaining about him hitting .320+, but just saying he hits like Ichiro w/o the base stealing ability. For me he is a $15M per player. If I had to spend $24M per on a player, it would be Cabrera or Trout who can influence a game in many ways and with power.

Cabrera or Trout would be in the same boat as Cano in Seattle.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Cano is not "worth" the $240 million dollar contract we gave him. But we're comparing free agent market price (which will always be higher than a player's worth) with our opinion on what a player is worth based on his value and production.

Sure maybe Cano's real value is only worth $15-18 mil a year depending on who you ask. But in the free agent market, every player's value gets driven up. Add to the fact that we are the Seattle fricking Mariners who have not been to the playoffs since 2001. That alone means we have to throw in an extra 2-3 mil a year to any player we want to recruit, especially a player of Cano's caliber.

So when you add it all up...yes Cano is worth that money considering all the factors.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money aside, I'd cringe at the thought of the Mariners lineup without Cano in it. He is really our only capable hitter.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the power will increase at some point this season, but it isn't going to be anything like his Yankee years. As a Mariner, I think he'll be more like 12-18 homeruns and 35-40 doubles.

And as long as he keeps up a good RBI pace, I don't care if he uses singles and sac flies to get his ribbies, as long as he gets them. Who was the last guy with single digit homeruns and triple digit RBI in the same season? Anyone know?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 whiff in a 3-0 count for Cano this year. 8 total whiffs when ahead in the count. Pretty amazing.

When he gets something over the plate, he almost always does something with it. When he's ahead in the count, he doesn't get nearly as much over the plate compared to when he was surrounded by competence. Since the beginning of May, his K rate has gone way down because he swings at less garbage that pitchers throw him.

I realize that the only way to prove that it makes a difference would be to see how he does with protection in the lineup....and I would say we have ample proof because that's exactly what he had for about a decade in NY. All other things being equal (and they are for him in every way, almost to a tee), the explanations I'm giving aren't really very radical.

I'm not even bringing up the smaller ballpark in the Bronx as part of this because as far as I can tell, it's not a huge factor in the difference between his overall driving of the ball.