• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA was not tougher in the 'old days' the way you think

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was actually kind of fun. Especially if the guy missed the first free throw. The pressure would build up and if it was a road game, the crowd would louder with each free throw. Place would explode on those occasional times when someone would miss all 3. lol
Meh. Pass.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer it the current way. But 3 to make 2 did have it's fun elements. Guys who had missed the first 2 would get really nervous trying to get at least 1.

What was it like when the auto was invented

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer it the current way. But 3 to make 2 did have it's fun elements. Guys who had missed the first 2 would get really nervous trying to get at least 1.
Just don't see a need for MORE free throws

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't see a need for MORE free throws

I agree. Like I said, I like this way better. 3 to make 2 was what we had back then, so you had fun with it the best way you could.

But literally the only thing I miss from that, is when guys were at the line sweatin' that 3rd free throw after missing the first 2.

Of course, as a Lakers fan, I sweated that 3rd free throw out a a few times when they had Wilt. lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Like I said, I like this way better. 3 to make 2 was what we had back then, so you had fun with it the best way you could.

But literally the only thing I miss from that, is when guys were at the line sweatin' that 3rd free throw after missing the first 2.

Of course, as a Lakers fan, I sweated that 3rd free throw out a a few times when they had Wilt. lol

One of the main drawbacks with center dominated teams in many cases.

Wilt should've stuck with the granny shot....

M1Kop5.gif

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started coaching basketball in 1975. To get certified you had to know the rules and understand them. Coaches in those days "taught" kids the correct way to play the game. In those days, a player was allowed one step forward without the other foot lifting or it was a travel. Placing a hand uder the ball and turning it was called 'palming'. Today LeBron is allowed three stepss and i watch nearly every player in the NBA carry the ball while dribbling. The game has certainly gone from deliberate movement to hyper-speed. In the old days, kids learned to play a disciplined game. Today, they get pissed if their game is called out as incorrect or a 'turnover'. But what can you expect? These players today don't attend school except to play ball and go to collegefor one year and never attend a class. We're not dealing with intellect.

The e superstar step began in the 80s. This is not some new development.

Stars have gotten preferential treatment from NBA officials for a long time because that is who the fans pay to see.

I actually think today’s stars get less advantage from officials.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The e superstar step began in the 80s. This is not some new development.

Stars have gotten preferential treatment from NBA officials for a long time because that is who the fans pay to see.

I actually think today’s stars get less advantage from officials.
It’s a sham and trash like that trickles down to lower levels

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a sham and trash like that trickles down to lower levels

You think so?

I have not ever felt that way in my area.

At the high school level you certainly have to deal with some home cooking from officials when playing on the road at times, but I can’t recall ever noticing what I perceived as preferential treatment for stars.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilt should've stuck with the granny shot....

Funny story, I've shared before that when I was a kid my aunts had Suns season tickets and when we'd visit during basketball season, they'd always take me to at least 1 game.

One year we're there when the Suns are playing the Lakers. I guess Connie Hawkins and Wilt were friends. Before the game, they're out on the court and Hawk is working with Wilt on his free throws. Wilt proceeds to hit something like 13 for 15 from the line that night.

Suns fans were so pissed at Hawk after that game. But they couldn't really complain to much because they all loved guy. I remember my Aunts on the drive home saying how mad they were followed by how much they love him. lol