• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Manning Slide

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that I'm a little surprised about following the Broncos win over the Steelers is the insane amount of attention given to Manning's "slide." We all know the one: He avoided the sack but slipped, or depending on who you ask, he slid and gave himself up. Manning jumped back to his feet and connected with Sanders for a 34 yard gain. That would be the Broncos longest play, but the drive ended in a punt anyway, so the amount of attention this has gotten is comical.

A lot of people are saying he gave himself up. I disagree. Looking at the film in slow motion it's obvious he doesn't have his footing as he tries to avoid the sack. Plus we Broncos fans have seen Manning curl up many times to save himself a big hit: he goes into the fetal position and stays down until the play subsides. He didn't do his standard "self-sack" as it has come to be called, indicating to me he didn't intend to go down.

But again, on a play on a drive that ended in a punt, why is this being singled out as a such a pivotal play?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because it's pretty humorous. I know that Steelers fans were complaining immediately that he gave himself up, but that's not what the ref ruled and that's not challengeable anyway.

But yeah, ultimately it didn't matter because Denver ended up punting. Now it's more of a humorous footnote than anything.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is not humorous so much as it is symbolic of Manning's effort to succeed.

I'll buy that angle; I've seen a couple write-ups that have suggested such. I've also seen a lot of debate about if he gave himself up or not. It looked like a big play when it happened, but in the grand scheme of the game it really wasn't. The Roethlisberger fumble and the "touchback" were far bigger plays in terms of potentially affecting (or sealing) the outcome and I've seen little to no dialogue about those blown calls. It really is interesting what the media latches onto.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is not humorous so much as it is symbolic of Manning's effort to succeed.
Not like last year 3rd and 5 with 40 yards of green in front of him.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone notice Miller dropped the ball on the 1/2 yard line and started dancing . Glad the ref called the play dead. Ward didn't even notice .

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt in my mind that he gave himself up - he has done the same thing countless times before, but this time, when realizing that no one touched him, he sprung back up, ready to throw - much to his credit and awareness of the situation ..

CEH predicted it with the "self-sack" over and under :)

Manning has been thru so much, and his body has taken more hits this season than I can recall in the past - he's basically like the abused kid who, while sitting at the dinner table, flinches every time his abusive father reaches for the salt

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone notice Miller dropped the ball on the 1/2 yard line and started dancing . Glad the ref called the play dead. Ward didn't even notice .
That's because the refs were already blowing the play dead as Miller was running towards the end zone. Seriously doubt he stops short of the goal line if it were a live play.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My cable went out right after Big Ben tried to toss the ball backwards so I didn't see the reason they tried to explain away why that wasn't a touchdown. Everybody watching the game was screaming when we saw that and then when the cable came back on there was nothing...Did they say the play was already blown dead?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My cable went out right after Big Ben tried to toss the ball backwards so I didn't see the reason they tried to explain away why that wasn't a touchdown. Everybody watching the game was screaming when we saw that and then when the cable came back on there was nothing...Did they say the play was already blown dead?

Yes.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the crowd noise must have covered up that whistle as I definitely did not hear one.

Yeah, I thought it was a TD. Like I wrote yesterday, I have seen the refs keep the play alive numerous times when Ben had defenders draped on him. He is so frequently able to shake them off and make a throw down field. Seemed like a quicker whistle than normal prevented Ben from throwing up field on that play.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I thought it was a TD. Like I wrote yesterday, I have seen the refs keep the play alive numerous times when Ben had defenders draped on him. He is so frequently able to shake them off and make a throw down field. Seemed like a quicker whistle than normal prevented Ben from throwing up field on that play.

Yeah that was what I was thinking of he was still trying to make a play like he always does and I have seen him in situations similar to that somehow escape or have 2 guys on him and still throw the football down the field so seems weird they would blow the whistle that early. Oh well we still won but that definitely would have sealed the victory much earlier.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game the decibel level was 106 . No way Miller heard the whistle unless he was right next to the ref. He was just in a hurry to do his dance.. No harm no foul but he dropped it short of the goal line.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretty obvious on TV that Miller knew the play was being blown dead. It's usually not just a whistle. You usually have ref's waving arms and such too.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretty obvious on TV that Miller knew the play was being blown dead. It's usually not just a whistle. You usually have ref's waving arms and such too.

I think you're right. As I recall, Miller turned around and looked back shortly before he got to the goal line. I figure he heard a whistle or got some other indication that the play was dead.