• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Little Mermaid (2023)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The live-action remake of The Little Mermaid will star Halle Bailey and be released on Friday, May 26, 2023. Teaser trailer:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full trailer, released during the Oscars:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beeeeaaaa eeeeaaaaa eeaa

Yah no. Sorry but all these Disney 'CGI' remakes suck ass, and despite the main actress being a singer, it's not as good. Sorry, it's just not. HARD skip here, along with all the schlock Disney has come out with in the last 5+ years.

Jodi Benson still owns it:

And then Melissa McCarthy as Ursula? Give me a fuckin' break. This would be straight to video/NETFLIX/Amazon Prime if it wasn't Disney... predicting this film bombs hard... and of course Mr. Mouses peons will say it's because everyone is racist/sexist, lmao.

Not to mention Flounder, Sebastian, and the gull sound like absolute crap. Gotta get that diversity quota up, though... lmao...

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Under the Sea" promo clip:

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brothers girlfriend got into Marine Biology due to seeing the original Little Mermaid so she wants to see the new version in theaters so he was gonna surprise her and take her to the movies.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brothers girlfriend got into Marine Biology due to seeing the original Little Mermaid so she wants to see the new version in theaters so he was gonna surprise her and take her to the movies.

I hope he gets a blowjob afterwards.. God knows we all agree he deserves it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say for a live action movie to do well with the Disney formula, at minimum it needs exciting actors. Jungle Cruise, for example. Its the Rock and Emily Blunt and stuff happens and its decent. This has Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, a newcomer as Ariel, and a relative newcomer playing Eric. The girl playing Ariel was probably around 22 at filming and not 16 which...is a bit weird, I guess. Is it weird that with a black Ariel, I'd also expect more black characters? They made the movie much longer and current and that sounds a bit like the Batman movie from last summer but then you look at the cast in that movie and its just better.

The animated Little Mermaid is basically the 'modern' movie Frozen is making fun of. I still watch Pocahontas on occasion with the kiddos and thats one of the worst written movies Ive ever seen. Its also great looking with a couple of good songs. The Little Mermaid is great looking with a bunch of good songs. The remake looks dark and every live action movie with animals just doesn't work. All of the animals lack charm.

I haven't seen this but I suspect it continues the tradition of the live-action not being as good as the animated version. I'd say the closest live action that I know of is Aladdin and even then its mostly because it has Will Smith.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good, really liked it. Much better than I expected

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love when they make these movies and call them "live action". Unless you find a crab that can actually sing with a Jamaican accent it's just a different kind or animation. Hopefully the families that checked it out enjoyed themselves, I never could stomach movies with a lot of musical numbers.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This movie had a good opening weekend in the US, but it's bombing internationally. It's annoying that everyone is just taking the most politically convenient conclusion: people from the right claiming that it's failing because international audiences are tired of the "go woke" stuff, while people from the left claim that it is the result of review bombing and racist audiences.

IMO, the movie would have bombed harder with a white red headed Ariel. It had a good opening week only because people showed up in support of Halle, but the movie just looks awful and uninteresting. With a conventional Ariel, we would be talking about a bomb similar to last year's Pinochio.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This movie had a good opening weekend in the US, but it's bombing internationally. It's annoying that everyone is just taking the most politically convenient conclusion: people from the right claiming that it's failing because international audiences are tired of the "go woke" stuff, while people from the left claim that it is the result of review bombing and racist audiences.

IMO, the movie would have bombed harder with a white red headed Ariel. It had a good opening week only because people showed up in support of Halle, but the movie just looks awful and uninteresting. With a conventional Ariel, we would be talking about a bomb similar to last year's Pinochio.
Honestly, the political stuff I see online makes fun of Disney's portrayal of men more than the race stuff.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood the outcry of a black Ariel anyway. I mean. The crab has a Jamaican accent. Why would a black mermaid be so bad?? If anything the cartoon was racist for portraying a white mermaid.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood the outcry of a black Ariel anyway. I mean. The crab has a Jamaican accent. Why would a black mermaid be so bad?? If anything the cartoon was racist for portraying a white mermaid.

I don't see the problem with black Ariel either, but how was redheaded Ariel racist?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the problem with black Ariel either, but how was redheaded Ariel racist?

Mostly joking. But if a crab speaks with a Jamaican accent then it should not be far fetched for a black Ariel. Since Jamaicans are black.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You I don't see the problem with black Ariel either, but how was redheaded Ariel racist?

My bigger complaint is the actress’s name. Everytime I hear who it is I think that we went back in time to use a young Halle Berry and get very excited!!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say this but I'd imagine the main reason Ariel was originally a redhead for probably for color contrast. The Little Mermaid has good-to-great art direction imo. All of the characters really pop. One look at CG Sebastian and it makes me wonder if they would've been better off just casting a Jamaican merman instead.

I think it would've been interesting to make things way different. Something like Lady Gaga as Ursula.

I figure if I watch Princess and the Frog enough times maybe Disney will get the hint that its not about demographics. Its about style.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say this but I'd imagine the main reason Ariel was originally a redhead for probably for color contrast. The Little Mermaid has good-to-great art direction imo. All of the characters really pop. One look at CG Sebastian and it makes me wonder if they would've been better off just casting a Jamaican merman instead.

I think it would've been interesting to make things way different. Something like Lady Gaga as Ursula.

I figure if I watch Princess and the Frog enough times maybe Disney will get the hint that its not about demographics. Its about style.

Hate on Melissa McCarthy. But I actually think she is a decent actress. And would think she would nail that role. Haven’t seen it yet so can’t say anything. But I would be surprised if she felt miscasted after seeing it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate on Melissa McCarthy. But I actually think she is a decent actress. And would think she would nail that role. Haven’t seen it yet so can’t say anything. But I would be surprised if she felt miscasted after seeing it.
Its a bit on the nose. I can't say anything, either, because from the movies I've seen her in, she is decent when she is in a serious role. But there is no way Im watching this movie so ill never know