• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The "I don't want Kirk Cousins" Thread

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the off season continues to rumble along, we are quickly approaching free agency and this Broncos fan does not want Elway and Company to go all in on the Cousins sweepstakes. Even if they do, there's a good chance that other teams are in a better position to land him.

I think Cousins is a good quarterback but I just don't see greatness in him. I'm on record as wanting the Broncos to start a new era with a young, AFFORDABLE quarterback in either this year's draft or next. I'm willing to wait a bit longer for that to happen and to develop into something special for the next decade to come.

If the Broncos can keep their quarterback position affordable (rookie and a bridge QB), then they'll have a lot of flexibility to address other positions on the team and build for the future. I know that it's a "win now" league and our defense isn't getting any younger but I think this team can be very competitive without bringing in Kirk Cousins and his $100 million dollar plus salary.

My top rookie choices this year would be (in order):
  • Rosen
  • Mayfield
  • Darnold
  • Allen

1. Get a couple of those top flight O-linemen in the draft (Nelson, McGlinchey, Hernandez).
  2. If they don't get it in the draft, bring Nate Solder home as a Bronco.
  3. Get Jake Butt ready to rumble and draft another TE.
  4. Address the running back position in the middle rounds.
  5. Get Carlos Henderson ready to go.
  6. Say goodbye to Talib and CJ Anderson.
  7. Roby is the guy now.
  8. Find value free agents to fill areas of need.
  9. Draft a STUD inside linebacker in the draft.
  10. Keep Demarcus Walker in his natural position and let him get to the QB.
  11. Start your bridge QB for 4-6 games, while preparing the rookie to be the guy.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Kurt Cousins, but I am not wanting blowup the team to get him. The price tag scares me with Cousins, but at the same time Elway and company have not found a QB that has panned out. Maybe 3rd time with a pick in the top 2 rounds is a charm, but Cousins is a known commodity while every QB in the draft has question marks.

It is a tough place to be. I am torn on which way I want the Broncos to go.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Kurt Cousins, but I am not wanting blowup the team to get him. The price tag scares me with Cousins, but at the same time Elway and company have not found a QB that has panned out. Maybe 3rd time with a pick in the top 2 rounds is a charm, but Cousins is a known commodity while every QB in the draft has question marks.

It is a tough place to be. I am torn on which way I want the Broncos to go.

I hear ya. The Broncos recent history has not been great (Osweiller, Siemian, Lynch). However, I just think this draft is different and having the number 5 pick is not something that comes around too often. I too was on the fence about Cousins originally but this is where I sit now.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not allowed to post in this thread! :lol:

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. The Broncos recent history has not been great (Osweiller, Siemian, Lynch). However, I just think this draft is different and having the number 5 pick is not something that comes around too often. I too was on the fence about Cousins originally but this is where I sit now.

So in your mind who is the can't miss QB of this draft that will be here for the next 15+ years? I haven't' studied them super close, nor do I know what I am looking for, but I don't know that I feel like there is a can't miss guy at QB in this draft.

Right now my favorite is probably Mayfield, but I wouldn't call him a sure fire franchise QB.

Maybe someone can educate me so I feel better about the QBs in the draft.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides. I really do.

I just had dinking with the QB position. I am getting a little inpatient.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Had dinking?”

Been drinking??

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your mind who is the can't miss QB of this draft that will be here for the next 15+ years? I haven't' studied them super close, nor do I know what I am looking for, but I don't know that I feel like there is a can't miss guy at QB in this draft.

Right now my favorite is probably Mayfield, but I wouldn't call him a sure fire franchise QB.

Maybe someone can educate me so I feel better about the QBs in the draft.

My top two are Rosen and Mayfield. I think they both will be talented franchise quarterbacks in the NFL.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold is the most likely to be a bust. His performance against an NFL style Ohio State defense was horrible. He looked lost.

Grab Cousins if you can get him. The cap hit now is pretty big, but in 2-3 he'll be a bargain for you. He's still young and he was really good on a bad Skins team.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold is the most likely to be a bust. His performance against an NFL style Ohio State defense was horrible. He looked lost.

Grab Cousins if you can get him. The cap hit now is pretty big, but in 2-3 he'll be a bargain for you. He's still young and he was really good on a bad Skins team.

This right here is how I feel. I'm actually rooting for him to land in Denver and turn you back into a Super Bowl team. Regarding the opening post nobody claimed he was great. But exactly who are you going to get who is a great QB in free agency?

Baker Mayfield terrifies me. Do you really see him as the first Big Twelve QB who was worth a damn in the NFL? Not me, he's just going to be added to the long list. You guys still have a great defense but that window won't stay open forever. You have found out just how a defense can be wasted with a crappy QB. Kirk would be just fine for you if you don't have to purge too much to get him.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This right here is how I feel. I'm actually rooting for him to land in Denver and turn you back into a Super Bowl team. Regarding the opening post nobody claimed he was great. But exactly who are you going to get who is a great QB in free agency?

Baker Mayfield terrifies me. Do you really see him as the first Big Twelve QB who was worth a damn in the NFL? Not me, he's just going to be added to the long list. You guys still have a great defense but that window won't stay open forever. You have found out just how a defense can be wasted with a crappy QB. Kirk would be just fine for you if you don't have to purge too much to get him.

OP here and thanks for your thoughts. You know Cousins a helluva lot better than I do. Personally, I don't think there's a "great" QB in free agency and there have been many rookies QB's that develop into something special. I'm betting that 1 or 2 of these top 5 prospects do just that. Most of my commentary however is based on the fact that the Broncos have way more holes to fill than you're probably aware of. Spending that kind of money on Cousins would handcuff this team to his contract for a long time and limit their ability to plug holes with upgrades.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP here and thanks for your thoughts. You know Cousins a helluva lot better than I do. Personally, I don't think there's a "great" QB in free agency and there have been many rookies QB's that develop into something special. I'm betting that 1 or 2 of these top 5 prospects do just that. Most of my commentary however is based on the fact that the Broncos have way more holes to fill than you're probably aware of. Spending that kind of money on Cousins would handcuff this team to his contract for a long time and limit their ability to plug holes with upgrades.
But it would allow them to use the top 5 pick on one of those holes.
Odds are not great that the 1 QB you select to draft will be good, much less great. I'd hitch myself to Kirk because we know he is at least above average. Like Green fan said, the window of a good defense can close quickly.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it would allow them to use the top 5 pick on one of those holes.
Odds are not great that the 1 QB you select to draft will be good, much less great. I'd hitch myself to Kirk because we know he is at least above average. Like Green fan said, the window of a good defense can close quickly.

You're right and it's easy (or difficult) to debate both approaches. That's what has all of our heads spinning right now. The Broncos could go in many different directions. I'm just spelling out my preference.

Also, without all that money tied up in the QB, the Broncos would have a lot more cash to spend in the next year or two to upgrade the entire team.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine the sleep GM's lose from Super Bowl to Free Agency season.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I know Cousins and you know the holes. I just don't know what your other options are, you know all to well it's very difficult to win long term without a good QB. Rookie QBs are beyond a crap shoot and it will cost you the 5th pick in the draft that could be used to fill one of your holes.

Now my assessment of Kirk: The big knock on him was he wasn't clutch. 2 years in a row he threw a killer pick at the end of the last game of the year, 2 seasons ago it cost them a playoff spot. He's also come up small in his one playoff game and in night games which kind of feels like big games.

While I recognize this I also understand that has had very few opportunities to play in big games and he has also led a whole lot of late game scores to either win the game or put them ahead. As mentioned above he has played pretty damned well with limited support. He has never had a running game or a defense to help him out, the running game has been abysmal as has the defense. Last year with injuries he had little protection and virtually no receiving help yet he still put up 4,000 yard and a 93 rating.

Bottom line he would be a huge upgrade for you at the most important position in sports. As I said if you don't need to gut your team I'd do it in a heartbeat. His contract will look bad at first but in a few years it won't seem nearly so bad. This is what it costs to sign a top 10-12 QB in free agency.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know Cousins and you know the holes. I just don't know what your other options are, you know all to well it's very difficult to win long term without a good QB. Rookie QBs are beyond a crap shoot and it will cost you the 5th pick in the draft that could be used to fill one of your holes.

Now my assessment of Kirk: The big knock on him was he wasn't clutch. 2 years in a row he threw a killer pick at the end of the last game of the year, 2 seasons ago it cost them a playoff spot. He's also come up small in his one playoff game and in night games which kind of feels like big games.

While I recognize this I also understand that has had very few opportunities to play in big games and he has also led a whole lot of late game scores to either win the game or put them ahead. As mentioned above he has played pretty damned well with limited support. He has never had a running game or a defense to help him out, the running game has been abysmal as has the defense. Last year with injuries he had little protection and virtually no receiving help yet he still put up 4,000 yard and a 93 rating.

Bottom line he would be a huge upgrade for you at the most important position in sports. As I said if you don't need to gut your team I'd do it in a heartbeat. His contract will look bad at first but in a few years it won't seem nearly so bad. This is what it costs to sign a top 10-12 QB in free agency.

Again, you know him better than I do and if he comes here and is good, I'll be cheering the loudest during our Super Bowl parade.

We're all about to find out where this is headed in the next few months!

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you know him better than I do and if he comes here and is good, I'll be cheering the loudest during our Super Bowl parade.

We're all about to find out where this is headed in the next few months!

I'm thinking the Jets but rooting for the Broncos

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most reports have the Jets or Vikings as the more likely landing spot than Denver but if Elway REALLY wants him, all bets are off.