• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The First 10 games

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Shouldn't they have the same skill level at 10 that they have at 1 though? If everything they do is geared to play at a certain time, and yet they play more than half their games at other than that specific time shouldn't they change those habits or the way they prepare? Plus, if that was the case, then teams would struggle routinely at Sunday night games and I don't think that is the case

It isn't about skill level. It's about energy levels. They will peak at different times.

The Niners play 5 games at 1:00 EST this year. Why should they train to play at 1:00 EST? They presumably want to be at their best for practice as well. Should they alter their entire schedule for 5 games and ignore the other 11? Sure there are the night games (3 this year), but that's taking both teams out of their element.

In week 3 the Niners play the Bengals at 1:00 EST. As I said, SF has 5 of 16 games at that time. Cinci has 13 of 16 games at that time. Which team will be trained better for an early start?

Now, more goes into it than that. The road team is virutally always at a disadvantage in the NFL. That disadvantage may not be enough to cost them the game, but it's easier to play at home than on the road. That's why Vegas defaults the home team a 3 point advantage right away. The line for our game this week is Dallas -3. At a neutral site, it would be Dallas -6, but SF gets a 3 point home field advantage.

Why does Vegas give the home team 3 points? Well, first of all they have the crowd on their side. But more than that, they get to sleep at home, they don't have a cross country flight (in this case) and they don't have tostart their routine 3 hours earlier. If Gore normally wakes up at 7:00 PST for a 1:00 PST start (6 hours before game time) then for that 1:00 EST/10:00 PST start, he gets up at 7:00 EST, which is 4:00 PST.

If you normally get up at 7:00 to be at 100%, would waking up at 4:00 negatively impact your performance that day? Would having 1 extra night (the earliest teams tend to travel is Friday) of sleep make a difference?

Now, the obvious question would be why don't east coast teams struggle when they come west.

Well, first, there are 4 teams on the west coast. Only one of them over the last 5 years or so has been good (SD). The simple fact that SF for example, has been a shitty team clearly effects their record.

Secondly, traveling west doesn't have the same effect on one's internal clock. If the Jets were to travel west, and Holmes typically gets up at 7:00 on game day, he doesn't have to get up at 4:00 for a west coast game. He can get up at 10:00 and maintain his normal routine. He gets a full night's sleep as opposed to Gore who is working, best case scenario, on 6 hours (asleep at 10:00 pm).

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need to accept that you will lose before playing the game. I never said that; I said they accept that as an excuse for losing. But I have a feeling that you knew exactly what I meant.

And I'll ask you for the third time, which coach accepted this excuse, and show me proof.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It isn't about skill level. It's about energy levels. They will peak at different times.

The Niners play 5 games at 1:00 EST this year. Why should they train to play at 1:00 EST? They presumably want to be at their best for practice as well. Should they alter their entire schedule for 5 games and ignore the other 11? Sure there are the night games (3 this year), but that's taking both teams out of their element.

In week 3 the Niners play the Bengals at 1:00 EST. As I said, SF has 5 of 16 games at that time. Cinci has 13 of 16 games at that time. Which team will be trained better for an early start?

Now, more goes into it than that. The road team is virutally always at a disadvantage in the NFL. That disadvantage may not be enough to cost them the game, but it's easier to play at home than on the road. That's why Vegas defaults the home team a 3 point advantage right away. The line for our game this week is Dallas -3. At a neutral site, it would be Dallas -6, but SF gets a 3 point home field advantage.

Why does Vegas give the home team 3 points? Well, first of all they have the crowd on their side. But more than that, they get to sleep at home, they don't have a cross country flight (in this case) and they don't have tostart their routine 3 hours earlier. If Gore normally wakes up at 7:00 PST for a 1:00 PST start (6 hours before game time) then for that 1:00 EST/10:00 PST start, he gets up at 7:00 EST, which is 4:00 PST.

If you normally get up at 7:00 to be at 100%, would waking up at 4:00 negatively impact your performance that day? Would having 1 extra night (the earliest teams tend to travel is Friday) of sleep make a difference?

Now, the obvious question would be why don't east coast teams struggle when they come west.

Well, first, there are 4 teams on the west coast. Only one of them over the last 5 years or so has been good (SD). The simple fact that SF for example, has been a shitty team clearly effects their record.

Secondly, traveling west doesn't have the same effect on one's internal clock. If the Jets were to travel west, and Holmes typically gets up at 7:00 on game day, he doesn't have to get up at 4:00 for a west coast game. He can get up at 10:00 and maintain his normal routine. He gets a full night's sleep as opposed to Gore who is working, best case scenario, on 6 hours (asleep at 10:00 pm).

We agree on the fact that there is a lot more that goes into it than simply playing three hours earlier. And I think those factors you mentioned make up about 90% of why the Niners struggle back east. I just don't buy the "I'm a better football player at 1 PM than I am at 10:00 AM" excuse.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We agree on the fact that there is a lot more that goes into it than simply playing three hours earlier. And I think those factors you mentioned make up about 90% of why the Niners struggle back east. I just don't buy the "I'm a better football player at 1 PM than I am at 10:00 AM" excuse.

Excuse??? maybe if you do a little research you would understand why that is. Our bodies are affected by what medical experts call Circadian Rhythms. It is the regular recurrence in cycles of approximately 24 hours from one stated point to another, e.g., certain biological activities that occur at that interval regardless of constant darkness or other conditions of illumination.

There was a study by Stanford scientist on how West Coasts teams perform better than EAST coast teams on Monday Night Football because West Coast teams are competing closer to the time that they typically train each day.

Conversely, it is easy to extrapolate that by traveling to the East and playing the early game is an advantage for the East coast teams because they are competing closer to the time of day they typically train...

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
teams that fly to Hawaii SOMETIMES complain about travel, but they only fly to Hawaii once a year. the U. of Hawaii plays on the continental U.S. 5 or 6 times a season.

we can't complain cause thats a trade-off living in Hawaii, but sure is good to read tangible stuff on travel.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse??? maybe if you do a little research you would understand why that is. Our bodies are affected by what medical experts call Circadian Rhythms. It is the regular recurrence in cycles of approximately 24 hours from one stated point to another, e.g., certain biological activities that occur at that interval regardless of constant darkness or other conditions of illumination.

There was a study by Stanford scientist on how West Coasts teams perform better than EAST coast teams on Monday Night Football because West Coast teams are competing closer to the time that they typically train each day.

Conversely, it is easy to extrapolate that by traveling to the East and playing the early game is an advantage for the East coast teams because they are competing closer to the time of day they typically train...

You'll have to forgive FUD, he's an inveterate pantshitter. The world is all black or white to him; there is no nuance. He's also a concern troll: one loss in Cincy and the Giants "season was over" last year. All stats are useless to him; he relies on his "gut." His "gut" predicts things like "Zito will have a good year," and "latin players are mentally weak." Whenever a team/player comes up short it's "unacceptable."

It's useless to try and reason with him; most folks just ignore him and move on. Trying to explain a nuanced thing like Circadian rhythms to him is like trying to teach calculus on the short bus.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tzill please keep your qualms about NN on the Giants board. :focus:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You'll have to forgive FUD, he's an inveterate pantshitter. The world is all black or white to him; there is no nuance. He's also a concern troll: one loss in Cincy and the Giants "season was over" last year. All stats are useless to him; he relies on his "gut." His "gut" predicts things like "Zito will have a good year," and "latin players are mentally weak." Whenever a team/player comes up short it's "unacceptable."

It's useless to try and reason with him; most folks just ignore him and move on. Trying to explain a nuanced thing like Circadian rhythms to him is like trying to teach calculus on the short bus.

Seriously, shut the fuck up already. You're stalking him now. This isn't the Giants board. It's a thread about teams from the west coast struggling in early starts on the east coast in football. It has nothing to do with the Giants, the Reds or baseball.

Stop posting here if you can't do anything except complaing about another poster.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't accept that excuse either, because the West Coast team has an entire week to start practice at 10am, and get themselves set up to play football at that time. Sometimes they even have the bye week to prep for that difference in time.

Apparently the Chargers only have one 10AM game this year out of their east coast games. Maybe we can use them as a comparison to how the 49ers do in their five 10AM games

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Hawks, Raiders, Niners and Chargers are a combined 23 and 51 or something with 10 am starts over the past few years. None of the teams are above 0.500.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Big yawn......snore, snore.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seriously, shut the fuck up already. You're stalking him now. This isn't the Giants board. It's a thread about teams from the west coast struggling in early starts on the east coast in football. It has nothing to do with the Giants, the Reds or baseball.

Stop posting here if you can't do anything except complaing about another poster.

Right on IMAC. I tried to rep you but the ssytem won't let me. Tweezil is a stone troll.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tell you what NN. Try getting up 3 hours early tomorrow and see if you feel like you're 100%.