• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The fallacy of believing that rule changes is the reason the NFL is so popular.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear Colon Cowturd saying it all of the time, in his pathetic annoying manner. It is a complete fallacy.

Trust this, if the NFL had the same rules it had in the 70s, it would still be the most popular game in America.

What, would you be turning off NFL games to watch hockey? No, you wouldn't.

The best proof that I have that the rule changes does not and has contributed to the popularity of the game is soccer. Soccer is still the most popular game in the world, and it has NOT changed the rules....in decades.

Just leave the damn game alone. Rule change here, rule change there. They destroy the history of the game and make past records obsolete. Believe it or not, legacies are important.

Anyway, I am pissing up a flagpole, but all of these rule changes they make constantly irk me, and it is even more annoying listening to an asshole like Colon Cowturd use fallacy after fallacy as he always tows the company line.

Reactions: GNG

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rules were the same as the 70s, the NFL would be even more popular IMO.
neil-patrick-harris-thumbs-up-gif.gif

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule changes killed the NBA, imo

Rule changes might save CBB tho

As the game/sport evolves rule changes are inevitable. I agree, too much tinkering usually doesn't help.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the explosion of very high definition TV and all manner of devices that you can now watch football on no matter where you are that is the bulk of the expansion of the game.

Of the rest, fantasy football is almost all of it.

The game is expanding despite the fucked up rule changes, not because of it.

Those highlight reels back then of all those epic hits were awesome. Defense was real defense back then. They mauled each other. Cheap shots? Low blocks? Grabbing past 5 years? Sure, they had that. And it was fan-fucking-tastic.

Screw this pansy ass game that more resembles flag football than what we grew up on.

Oh who am I kidding. I'll keep watching no matter how bad they keep fucking it up and they know it.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made all these rule changes so people stop getting hurt as much so they won't get sued. It's not really that hard to understand.

Of course people want crazy hitting like we used to see...except the actual players who are going to sue the NFL forever.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exposure is why the NFL is so popular today. Unfortunately, rules changes are a side effect of that exposure.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made all these rule changes so people stop getting hurt as much so they won't get sued. It's not really that hard to understand.

Of course people want crazy hitting like we used to see...except the actual players who are going to sue the NFL forever.

They were changing rules long before things became safety issues.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If anything, by making it more of a passing league, the more violent hits there are. Most of the worst collisions is between a safety and WR or LB and WR.

The NFL, like other entities (municipalities etc) use the word "safety" as an ancillary tool. Fine players however much the fine them and all of the safety rules are ambiguous on purpose.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule changes killed the NBA, imo

Rule changes might save CBB tho

As the game/sport evolves rule changes are inevitable. I agree, too much tinkering usually doesn't help.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking pre or post the Mel Blount rule change? (If you don't know what I'm referring to, look it up. I'm not doing your homework for you!)

Pre - I diagree. The league was mostly run first back then and that would be very boring today.

Post - agree it would be better and just as watchable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some changes since I started watching in the early 70s have actually improved the game.

Being able to bump, WRs damn near the entire route really restricted the passing game.

I think they have gone too far with the defenseless WR stuff, can't hit'em high, low or at all really until they take so many steps...that sucks...but I tend agree with hits above the shoulder pad in general.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate hearing that us fans want more offense. BS we want more monster hitting. I love defensive games.
Then why do the teams with the most prolific offenses generate higher television ratings?

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate hearing that us fans want more offense. BS we want more monster hitting. I love defensive games.

I like them too, but I think the best are great defenses paired with a wild shootout toward the end. The Panthers-Pats SB comes to mind.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a contributing factor but not the main reason. The main reason football is so popular is because we are a nation of short attention span, instant gratification drones and football caters to that. It's once a week, you only have to pay attention for 10 seconds at a time before you're hit with multiple replays and graphics, there are only 16 games so it's easy for casual fans to follow, it's on Sundays during the fall/winter when many people are inside and don't have much to do.