• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The End of Tanking?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team official has submitted a proposal that would eliminate the current NBA lottery as we know it and instead replace it with a wheel. The wheel is a proposed system in which each of the 30 NBA teams would have a specific first round draft position for the next 30 years. The draft positions would rotate in a predetermined order every year eliminating the need for teams to 'tank the season' in order to increase their odds of securing a high draft pick. As of right now, this is merely a proposal and has yet to be taken to the owners but it does raise some interesting thoughts both pro and con. Any thoughts on the new proposal?

Solving the Real Problem With the NBA's Tanking Epidemic - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would that mean that potentially the reigning NBA champs have a chance at getting the #1 pick if it's their turn? Bit unfair really isn't it?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would that mean that potentially the reigning NBA champs have a chance at getting the #1 pick if it's their turn? Bit unfair really isn't it?

Yep. It's definitely one of the major downfalls of the wheel system. You could potentially pair LeBron James with a number one pick.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The goal is to distribute the talent equally in 30 year periods. I like it... there are some holes in it, but it's definitely got some long term upside. The Draft Lottery is a bunch of BS anyways.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Downside is not every year has equal talent. One year you could get Adam Morrison, the next you get Lebron.

Sure, I mean every draft is different and not every draft will have a stand out franchise player but that won't change no matter what draft system is in place. As far as eliminating tanking, I think the proposed idea would certainly achieve its goal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, I mean every draft is different and not every draft will have a stand out franchise player but that won't change no matter what draft system is in place. As far as eliminating tanking, I think the proposed idea would certainly achieve its goal.

I personally hate tanking. It insults the fans to a higher level. But there has got to be a better way.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Downside is not every year has equal talent. One year you could get Adam Morrison, the next you get Lebron.

Isn't that how it is in the draft right now anyways? Some teams get better players in the 20's than teams picking in the top 5.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally hate tanking. It insults the fans to a higher level. But there has got to be a better way.

Tanking the season is such a slap in the face to paying fans....and to sports fans out there in general. Can we all agree that the current lottery system sucks and the NBA could use a new one?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like a flawed concept. Based on this notion, let's just say that the Heat win the title for a 3rd consecutive year. Then the following week get the #2 pick in the draft. It's not enough that the Heat have Bosh, Wade and Lebron. But then the Heat could add another elite talent in Parker or Wiggins? I'm a big Heat fan and this will sound ironic coming from what team I'm a fan of. But that just isn't fair.

I think the NBA has it right so far as it relates to the lottery. However, I would make it to where a team cannot get into the top 3 in consecutive years. I think the Cavs have had the number one pick for 2/3 of the last 4 years now. I think this is the only way to equally disperse talent.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would marginally prefer this wheel over the current system and don't have any major issue with it. I think tanking is more of a nuisance when talking to fans and on message boards than real life because so many people get wrapped up in it to the point they see everything through that lens. I've seen a lot of dumb tinfoil posts that don't make sense this season. Like the end of Chicago's bench being weak (this was prior to the Augustin signing) is some master stroke plan to tank in case a few of their best players got hurt.

The trouble with the wheel is that because of future 1st round picks owed it will take up to the year 2024 before it can be rolled out - this was mentioned in Zach Lowe's column. And between then and now, you'd either have to curtail trading future firsts at a point or make things further convoluted by trading beyond that point, both of which I think would be very unpopular.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial thoughts: I like this A LOT.

I'm sure there are some drawbacks, but eliminating tanking is big time awesome.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanking is smart, it is sound business. As a Laker fan I love the way our young guys scrap, they are fun to watch...but I know that we're not winning a title this year. So as a fan, knowing how deep this draft class is gonna be, I've been wanting the Lakers to TANK from the get-go. I see no benefit in trying to slide into the 8th seed and getting knocked out early...so why NOT take a chance and see if you can get one of these college phenoms to pan out? As for this new system, I give an emphatic no to it. As mentioned, I'm not trying to see an NBA Finals contender get a number 1 draft pick, and also you know how impressionable these kids are...what's stopping a college phenom from saying, I want to play with Lebron, so I'm gonna stay in college this year because Miami has the 1 pick next year? If that happens, poor Charlotte or whomever is screwed out of a top pick and then it's a while before they get another

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems far too complicated for its own good. Lowe even left out the parts about what happens if the league expands. But the first comment on the article will be a big deal breaker; if draft order is predetermined, college kids will choose their spots. Example: Say Jabari Parker is the #1 consensus. This year's pick is the Bucks. But next year's is the Lakers. Parker says screw that, I'm playing in LA and stays one more year. Owners and NBA higher ups won't like the idea of rookies have that much say so.

I think I saw Bill Simmons suggest the following idea and I like it: Last playoff spot (two spots?) in each conference are determined by a single elimination tournament. That would at least give teams some incentive to keep a decent roster. Then the teams that don't make the playoffs are entered into the lottery, except lottery weightings are determined by your record over the last THREE years, not the current season.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly fair, no moronic fucking cleveland wont ruin the young talent year after year by being fucking morons. Every team has their opportunity and it is an equal opportunity.

The current system is communist.