• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Double Dribble Travel Double Dribble and Other Rules Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if both Wade and Jordan were in mid-air, when Wade bounced it off of Jordan? And after it hit Jordan (who was in mid-air), it hit the ground?

Wait, then it would be the same thing as if both hand been standing inbounds and Wade bounced it off of Jordan and it went out of bounds. It would be out on Jordan, just the same.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, then it would be the same thing as if both hand been standing inbounds and Wade bounced it off of Jordan and it went out of bounds. It would be out on Jordan, just the same.

Wait, are you talking about Michael Jordan who often gets the calls his way or the other Jordan from the other clip? MJ > Wade, so it'd be off Wade regardless. But Wade > Other Jordan, so it would not be off of Wade.

But seriously speaking, if Wade never touches the ball when he's touching the ground or never touched the ball after he touches the ground, then it'll never be off him unless the ball on his throw goes out of bounds without touching anyone else. If Jordan has already touched out of bounds before the ball bounces out of bounds off him, is out of bounds when it hits him (and subsequently bounces off him), or bounces off him from inbounds or mid-air to out of bounds, it'll be off Jordan. When the ball first hits out of bounds, whether that be a player, person, object, or ground, the last in bounds person to touch it (whether that person is midair or in bounds), is off him.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so are you allowed to catch a pass, fake a shot, then drive? I just saw Millsap do that.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so are you allowed to catch a pass, fake a shot, then drive? I just saw Millsap do that.

Bump? Just clarifying.

Also, a few days ago, I thought I saw an uncalled double dribble. I was going to upload it, but forgot. I don't remember what game it was from anymore. It might have been a Hawks game late in the 1st round.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump? Just clarifying.

Also, a few days ago, I thought I saw an uncalled double dribble. I was going to upload it, but forgot. I don't remember what game it was from anymore. It might have been a Hawks game late in the 1st round.

Yes, of course, you can catch, fake, and drive. It's all about the feet. (Rex Ryan asks, would it be about anything else?) Err... steps. If they don't leave their feet or pivot and leave their feet, they're fine. My dad wants there to a double dribble whenever a player hits a bouncing ball trying to get control of the ball, getting control, and thn dribbling. He says the first part is a controlled dribble.

How about this?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isn't this a Double Dribble?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, of course, you can catch, fake, and drive. It's all about the feet. (Rex Ryan asks, would it be about anything else?) Err... steps. If they don't leave their feet or pivot and leave their feet, they're fine. My dad wants there to a double dribble whenever a player hits a bouncing ball trying to get control of the ball, getting control, and thn dribbling. He says the first part is a controlled dribble.

In the video I just uploaded, what part of the feet should I be looking at? And which foot specifically, if there's one foot that's more important than the other in the clip, in determining if it's a double dribble?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the video I just uploaded, what part of the feet should I be looking at? And which foot specifically, if there's one foot that's more important than the other in the clip, in determining if it's a double dribble?

I see that as more likely to be a travel than a double dribble. I remember people telling that dribbling with two hands also was a double dribble. I wonder how different the game would be if you could freely pick up your dribble and then redribble? Not as different as being able to travel or pick up a dropped ball.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that as more likely to be a travel than a double dribble. I remember people telling that dribbling with two hands also was a double dribble. I wonder how different the game would be if you could freely pick up your dribble and then redribble? Not as different as being able to travel or pick up a dropped ball.

I think I think of traveling and double dribbling as the same thing. It's hard for me to tell the difference.

But yes, thanks for your confirmation that at least it was a violation of some sort, and should have been called.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I had that game on my DVR for 6 weeks. I was just waiting for some time to upload it, never made time for it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really understanding your question, because he picks the ball up completely after dribbling once and then dribbles again. You've watched basketball for so long that I have to assume that I don't understand your question.

Illustration: One time I was playing football with my friend and the QB threw the ball and it hit the ground. My friend then picked the ball up and started running. I assumed that he didn't know the rules of football because incomplete balls are dead. But then he cleared it up by telling me that he thought we were playing rugby. I don't know a lick about rugby with anything that differs from football, so I assume the ball is always live when thrown?

Anyway, the reason I tell you my example is because I didn't want to misread you like I misread my friend. I guess we don't see many double dribbles and if we do, they are called, usually. This seemed so textbook that I am confused with your question. Don't mean any disrespect, just wondering. As a robot, YOU should know!

How did you start playing a game, and everyone not know whether they were playing football or rugby? ;)

That's like dealing out cards, and people not knowing if they're playing blackjack or poker.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 years later since the OP, and I still can't tell when exactly a double dribble occurs; when a traveling occurs; and when something is neither and is a legal play.

I'll never learn. :hammer:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did you start playing a game, and everyone not know whether they were playing football or rugby? ;)

That's like dealing out cards, and people not knowing if they're playing blackjack or poker.

He didn't know football rules, assumed it was rugby-like.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I think of traveling and double dribbling as the same thing. It's hard for me to tell the difference.

But yes, thanks for your confirmation that at least it was a violation of some sort, and should have been called.

Traveling is taking three steps or taking two steps before a dribble or picking up one's pivot foot. Double dribbling is dribbling, picking the ball up (or touching it with two parts of your body, most typically, two hands), and then dribbling again. The only ambiguity to me is whether catching the ball and dribbling it with two hands once is a triple double. Just kidding, double dribble. I don't think it is, but I've seen it called on the playground as such.

How about a traveling triple double dribble?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because Turner caught the ball (with two hands), faked, then picked up his dribble, why doesn't that sequence make it a double dribble?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because Turner caught the ball (with two hands), faked, then picked up his dribble, why doesn't that sequence make it a double dribble?

Because whenever you can confuse @nuraman00 , do.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can you provide an answer on whether it should have been a double dribble?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got an alert that MHSL82 "liked" a post in this thread. But it doesn't tell me which post he liked. He could have newly liked any post in this thread.

There needs to be a way for the notification box to take you to exactly which post was liked.