• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Double Dribble Travel Double Dribble and Other Rules Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is this a double-dribble, because:

* When he stops, he makes his left foot his pivot foot. He then spins to his left (counter-clockwise), as he tries to clear space.

He then tries to pump fake a shot.

He then has his right leg extended, and pushes off on his right foot to drive.

So the problem is pushing off on his right foot? If he wants to continue dribbling again, what must he do?

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

* When he stops, he makes his left foot his pivot foot. He then spins to his left (counter-clockwise), as he tries to clear space.

So the problem is pushing off on his right foot? If he wants to continue dribbling again, what must he do?

pass it, get it back

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really understanding your question, because he picks the ball up completely after dribbling once and then dribbles again. You've watched basketball for so long that I have to assume that I don't understand your question.

Illustration: One time I was playing football with my friend and the QB threw the ball and it hit the ground. My friend then picked the ball up and started running. I assumed that he didn't know the rules of football because incomplete balls are dead. But then he cleared it up by telling me that he thought we were playing rugby. I don't know a lick about rugby with anything that differs from football, so I assume the ball is always live when thrown?

Anyway, the reason I tell you my example is because I didn't want to misread you like I misread my friend. I guess we don't see many double dribbles and if we do, they are called, usually. This seemed so textbook that I am confused with your question. Don't mean any disrespect, just wondering. As a robot, YOU should know!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really understanding your question, because he picks the ball up completely after dribbling once and then dribbles again. You've watched basketball for so long that I have to assume that I don't understand your question.

My question is "why is this a double dribble?"

I feel like I've seen players start their dribble after stopping before, and have it legal, if they start again using their correct foot or something.

But CarlWinslow says no.

I also get confused on whether a player is out of bounds if he jumps out of bounds, and pushes the ball back inbounds in mid-air.

I think the rule says that if he touches the ball out of bounds in mid-air, he's out of bounds, but I feel like I've seen players dive for loose balls and save balls and have it be legal before. Maybe I wasn't really paying attention as to whether they saved the ball before it went out of bounds, or whether the ball was out of bounds when they touched it.

And if not, players dive for loose balls so often I would think they should give up if they know they can't get to it before it goes out of bounds.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Illustration: One time I was playing football with my friend and the QB threw the ball and it hit the ground. My friend then picked the ball up and started running. I assumed that he didn't know the rules of football because incomplete balls are dead. But then he cleared it up by telling me that he thought we were playing rugby. I don't know a lick about rugby with anything that differs from football, so I assume the ball is always live when thrown?

Anyway, the reason I tell you my example is because I didn't want to misread you like I misread my friend. I guess we don't see many double dribbles and if we do, they are called, usually. This seemed so textbook that I am confused with your question. Don't mean any disrespect, just wondering. As a robot, YOU should know!

But double-dribbles happen so rarely that I haven't studied them enough to really know. I haven't seen enough slo-mo film on them. I see them maybe once a year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I've seen players start their dribble after stopping before, and have it legal, if they start again using their correct foot or something.

But double-dribbles happen so rarely that I haven't studied them enough to really know. I haven't seen enough slo-mo film on them. I see them maybe once a year.

I think what you've seen before is someone bounce the ball while trying to gain possession. If that happens, they are allowed to later dribble if it is determined subjectively that none of those prior bounces were dribbles. Or also, if the ball is hit, ever so slightly, and the player loses control, he can re-dribble. He can actually retrieve the deflected ball (pick it up) and then re-dribble.

I didn't think you needed slow-mo on this one. This is as obvious as you're going to get, IMO. Not saying it's embarrassingly obvious or anything, it's just you're not going to see players do it this way because they know the rule. That's why he was smiling down the court - he knew he got away with a clear double-dribble.

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My question is "why is this a double dribble?"

But CarlWinslow says no.

I also get confused on whether a player is out of bounds if he jumps out of bounds, and pushes the ball back inbounds in mid-air.

I think the rule says that if he touches the ball out of bounds in mid-air, he's out of bounds, but I feel like I've seen players dive for loose balls and save balls and have it be legal before. Maybe I wasn't really paying attention as to whether they saved the ball before it went out of bounds, or whether the ball was out of bounds when they touched it.

And if not, players dive for loose balls so often I would think they should give up if they know they can't get to it before it goes out of bounds.

you can't pick your dribble up and dribble it again

as for out of bounds, if the players was in bounds when they leaped or dove then they can save the ball.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A player is not out of bounds unless he touches the floor or someone sitting out of bounds, like a camera man, crowd person, or chair. He can go as far out as he wants to without touching anything and still be in bounds - of course, the farther you go, the harder it is to get to the ball, stay in the air, and throw/bat the ball in and in fact, the farther out you are the less likely one will try to save it. You can't have stepped out of bounds before touching the ball, you have to jump from in bounds and never touch out of bounds with the ball touching you.

They did change a rule 10 years ago where you no longer can call timeouts while in the air out of bounds. I think you must still be able to call timeout while in the air, in bounds.

I wonder if they will eventually ban timeouts during would-be jump balls? Like say that you can only call timeout with clear possession. My guess they won't because there's no impetus for a rule change. I just seem to have thought that allowing timeouts while struggling to maintain possession is punishing the defense - but I really think that when they allow a timeout, they determined you had clear possession - it's just some of these are not black and white possession.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't players drive, pump fake, and drive again?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player is not out of bounds unless he touches the floor or someone sitting out of bounds, like a camera man, crowd person, or chair. He can go as far out as he wants to without touching anything and still be in bounds - of course, the farther you go, the harder it is to get to the ball, stay in the air, and throw/bat the ball in and in fact, the farther out you are the less likely one will try to save it. You can't have stepped out of bounds before touching the ball, you have to jump from in bounds and never touch out of bounds with the ball touching you.

They did change a rule 10 years ago where you no longer can call timeouts while in the air out of bounds. I think you must still be able to call timeout while in the air, in bounds.

I wonder if they will eventually ban timeouts during would-be jump balls? Like say that you can only call timeout with clear possession. My guess they won't because there's no impetus for a rule change. I just seem to have thought that allowing timeouts while struggling to maintain possession is punishing the defense - but I really think that when they allow a timeout, they determined you had clear possession - it's just some of these are not black and white possession.

Ok, I remember, this was the play that confused me last year:

Wade touches the ball when he is out of bounds.

He bounces it off of Jordan, who is also out of bounds.

But because Jordan touched it last while out of bounds, it's off of the Clippers.

It's not out on Wade for touching it first while out of bounds?

Ok, your first sentence clarifies why.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But players are allowed to catch (such as on the 3-point line), pump fake, and drive again?

Because that would be their first dribble?

They didn't have a dribble before the catch, so that's why it's legal?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I remember, this was the play that confused me last year:

Wade touches the ball when he is out of bounds.

He bounces it off of Jordan, who is also out of bounds.

But because Jordan touched it last while out of bounds, it's off of the Clippers.

It's not out on Wade for touching it first while out of bounds?

Ok, your first sentence clarifies why.

You got it. It's not out on Wade because he's Wade. Just kidding. But it's actually who first touches it when they touch out of bounds, not last. If the first guy were out of bounds, it wouldn't matter if the second guy caught it or hit it to a third guy out of bounds. Jordan was the only guy (first and last) who touched it out of bounds, as per the first sentence you bolded. As far as the rules are concerned, Wade was in bounds until past the hoop stand where his first foot landed.

Interesting thing is if you come from out of bounds, you have to get two feet in bounds before touching the ball. So when Billups did the below video, they had to see if he got both feet in first. They didn't have or do instant replay, they just had to be watching.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But players are allowed to catch (such as on the 3-point line), pump fake, and drive again?

Because that would be their first dribble?

They didn't have a dribble before the catch, so that's why it's legal?

You can do anything you want before you first dribble so long as you don't move your feet too many times. Traveling has a confusing rule on 2 1/2 steps, not three, and the crab-dribble. Also, Hakeem was exempt. And Jordan too, so long as it was for a jaw-dropping dunk or at the All-Star game. Or if Jordan was playing. ;)

Extra points if you can explain the crab dribble to me. I've only seen it once and didn't know why it looked like a travel or didn't know why it wasn't a travel. I forgot which one I was confused about.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got it. It's not out on Wade because he's Wade. Just kidding. But it's actually who first touches it when they touch out of bounds, not last. If the first guy were out of bounds, it wouldn't matter if the second guy caught it or hit it to a third guy out of bounds. Jordan was the only guy (first and last) who touched it out of bounds, as per the first sentence you bolded. As far as the rules are concerned, Wade was in bounds until past the hoop stand where his first foot landed.

Interesting thing is if you come from out of bounds, you have to get two feet in bounds before touching the ball. So when Billups did the below video, they had to see if he got both feet in first. They didn't have or do instant replay, they just had to be watching.

What if both Wade and Jordan were in mid-air, when Wade bounced it off of Jordan? And after it hit Jordan (who was in mid-air), it hit the ground?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope someone makes a "WTF" gif of the coach at :33