• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Cut-Down Thread

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News of the trimming to our 53 man roster are starting to filter in via Twitter and other sources. Notable cuts so far include Lance Ball, Gerrel Robinson, Aaron Hester, Ben Garland and Jeremy Beal. Nothing too surprising so far. I was really pulling for Ben Garland. If he clears waivers, I would fully expect to see Robinson on our practice squad.

In an unrelated note: Patriots just released Tim Tebow. I wonder if he'll ever play in the NFL again.

MH64

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gerell Robinson had a great game last night. I don't know what else he could have done to make the roster. I doubt he will clear waivers, and for that matter, a lot of our cuts will be scooped up by other teams. Any and all of those first 5 cuts could end up on another team's roster.

It's nice to know that we have such good depth across the board, but I hate seeing talent get away from us.

Barrelman Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King was also released with Robinson. . . We're only keeping 5 WR this year? With one of them being Trindon Holliday. . . I'm thinking that means Dysert will stay on the active roster.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only about 5% of people were scooped up after cuts last year. I think odds are in our favor that we keep a lot of our guys going to practice squad.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King was also released with Robinson. . . We're only keeping 5 WR this year? With one of them being Trindon Holliday. . . I'm thinking that means Dysert will stay on the active roster.

I imagine that two of Robinson, King, Orton, Thomas, or McDuffie will go to the practice squad. I imagine also that Painter will be going there too if he clears waivers.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lilja, Painter, and Philip Blake were all released.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 TEs and 5 WRs. It looks like we will be seeing a lot of 2-TE sets.

We will have a lot of options when it comes to offensive sets. 3 wide, 2 tight; 2 wide, 2 tight, 1 RB; etc. Defenses are going to have their hands full.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the defensive side, we kept 11 DBs. Wow! Maybe part of the thinking is to do some regular subbing to keep players fresh. We certainly have the nickel and dime packages covered. I like our overall talent and depth in the defensive backfield.

Our LBs are listed as follows: SLB - Nate Irving, MLB - Woodyard, WLB - Trevathon. Apparently, Del Rio and co. like Irving in the SLB spot. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Barrelman Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still amazed they're sticking with Dysert on the active roster over a true 5th WR. Although, with Tamme and J.Thomas they have two players who can play slot very well. Would like to see Robinson come back to the practice squad more than King. I think Robinson has shown more promise over the last two years, and he has the size.

11 DBs also odd. I feel one or even two of those guys (Bolden, Jammer) will not be on this team come Thursday.

Also, although I understand some reasoning behind it, I thought McCray had only sprained his ankle. The one position where depth is very worrisome is LB. Bradley got moved to IR as well, which leaves us with 5 LBs -One being Lenon who just came in- and Shaun Philips. If Trevathan and/or Irving play poorly or don't work, and throw in an injury, we better hope our front 4 is better.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still amazed they're sticking with Dysert on the active roster over a true 5th WR. Although, with Tamme and J.Thomas they have two players who can play slot very well. Would like to see Robinson come back to the practice squad more than King. I think Robinson has shown more promise over the last two years, and he has the size.

So, you are worried about a WR that would have seen at the most maybe about 60-70 snaps (not receptions, snaps) over the course of the season? Why? Caldwell (Caldwell himself will probably only see what? 100 snaps?) can play all 3 positions and the Broncos rarely use anything beyond 11 and 12 offensive formations (which they can run their entire offense from either one). Why keep that 5th guy when you can stash him to the practice squad and pull him up if needed later on and use his spot to keep a guy they see something in and want to protect him. The backup QB is the least valuable position till it becomes invaluable (see 2011 Colts).

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, although I understand some reasoning behind it, I thought McCray had only sprained his ankle. The one position where depth is very worrisome is LB. Bradley got moved to IR as well, which leaves us with 5 LBs -One being Lenon who just came in- and Shaun Philips. If Trevathan and/or Irving play poorly or don't work, and throw in an injury, we better hope our front 4 is better.

Umm, there are 6 LB's on the depth chart as of right now and there will be 7 when Von comes back. What are you talking about? Plus, McCray was going to do what? Play ST's when he comes back? If he had not gotten hurt for pretty much the entire time Von is out, there might have been reason to not put him on IR, but he has a high ankle sprain. If you have never had one, they can last months (I had one for six months and I could not do anything over a brisk walk without severe pain). Plus, if they really need him, in 2 months they can designate him to return and he can come off of IR.

And why are you so not worried about McCray and worried about Trevathan and Irving working out? Irving and Trevathan have actually taken snaps during an NFL game at their positions. Plus, /rollseyes, you must think of our "base defense" as the 4-3? Once again, 65% of the time last year, the defense was in the Nickel. That means 2 LB's and also means the same people that did it last year will do it again this year, Woodyard and Trevathan.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be nice is Denver pking up some O-line depth. Saw a couple what some deemed surprises released.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be nice is Denver pking up some O-line depth. Saw a couple what some deemed surprises released.

Who were you thinking that has been cut? Who would you replace that is already on the Broncos?

Barrelman Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, there are 5 LBs on the DC, and Shaun Philips is the backup for Irving. Shaun has played far more at DE than LB this preseason.

Second, I'm not worried about what our 5th WR does. I'm amazed that we're keeping a rookie QB on our active roster as our 3rd guy compared to having a 5th WR. As I said, injuries don't concern me because we have two TEs who could probably easily play the slot.

Third, these LBs are all playing new spots. I don't care how much we run a nickel versus a 4-3, but Woodyard is a very undersized MLB, and his backup just arrived a couple of weeks ago. While I sure wouldn't be advocating starting McCray, he provides much more ideal size for the MLB. If you want to see what playing out of position can do to a player, look at DJ Williams.

If you're not worried about our LB position with two guys who haven't started a game, being backed up by a DE and another player who hasn't started a game, along with Woodyard moving to MLB, then congratulations you're more positive than I am.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting choices.

I have a gut feeling that we are going to see Trindon Holliday bust a big play in some fashion on offense in the opener. I'm not real worried about WR depth, cause if the need comes up, Manning has the ability to make a guy just brought in look like a Pro Bowler.

LB concerns me until we get Von back. I'm a big Woodyard guy, so I hope he shines while given this opportunity.

I love our depth in the secondary. Elway and company have done a great job in turning that area from a weakness when they took over (other than Champ and Dawkins) into a strength. Would LOVE to see Rahim Moore slap a Pick6 on Flacco.....

Go Broncos!

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I wouldn`t want a "replacement" guy from our current O-line, just a good depth guy for possible injury reasons. Can`t remember exactly, but there was one guy that was a # 1 pk in 2011. Not saying he`s worth it but maybe one those guys that just needs change of scenery/system. Sorry, I just can`t help be nervous about potential O- line injuries. I think we have pretty good depth everywhere else though.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, there are 5 LBs on the DC, and Shaun Philips is the backup for Irving. Shaun has played far more at DE than LB this preseason.

1. Irving, 2. Woodyard, 3. Trevathan, 4. Lenon, 5. Johnson, 6. Phillips. Still counting 6 and 7 when Von comes back. Are you not counting Phillips as a LB? Why? He has been a LB for his entire playing career, why do you all of a sudden think he cannot play that position?

Second, I'm not worried about what our 5th WR does. I'm amazed that we're keeping a rookie QB on our active roster as our 3rd guy compared to having a 5th WR. As I said, injuries don't concern me because we have two TEs who could probably easily play the slot.

Because they see talent in that QB and want to develop him and with all of the injuries/suck at QB on other teams, he was probably not going to clear waivers to get to the practice squad. We only have Peyton probably for 2 years after this, developing our QB's of the future is a right now thing and if you don't, please reference the 2011 Colts to understand the dilemma you put yourself in.

Third, these LBs are all playing new spots. I don't care how much we run a nickel versus a 4-3, but Woodyard is a very undersized MLB, and his backup just arrived a couple of weeks ago. While I sure wouldn't be advocating starting McCray, he provides much more ideal size for the MLB. If you want to see what playing out of position can do to a player, look at DJ Williams.

Al Wilson was 5'11" 240 lbs, Woodyard is 6'0" 235 lbs. 5 lbs less and an inch taller is very undersized? The only one playing a new position is Woodyard. Irving has been the backup SAM since he was drafted and Trevathan was the backup Will while DJ was out last year. DJ is a different player than Woodyard, if Woodyard can handle the mental aspect of it, why the F not. Plus, Woodyard already has been doing the job of the MLB in the Nickel package and making the defensive audibles and adjustments. DJ's biggest problems were that he was not very vocal, was not making the adjustments, and was not a very good leader, all of which Woodyard has shown capable of and able to do. Anyway, in today's pass happy NFL, you need LB's that can cover and the big "prototypical" run stopping MLB is going the way of the dinosaur.

Also, did you not read the part about McCray's injury? With the sprain he has, they are projecting him to be out for 6-10 weeks or longer. Von would be back at the same time or earlier and that will make 7 LB's.