• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

53 Man Roster

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here in just a few days we have our first round of roster cuts. Now that we are through training camp anybody want to take a guess at the roster? If not maybe just guess that one surprise cut. I can go first...

QB-3
Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler, Zac Dysert--As much as I only want them to keep 2 quarterbacks most of the talking heads have been saying the Broncos still want to keep Dysert.

RB-4
Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman, CJ Anderson, and Juwan Thompson

WR-5
D. Thomas, Wes Welker, Emmanuel Sanders, Cody Latimer, and Andre Caldwell--This is where I think losing Norwood we use his spot to keep Dysert. We then use a combo of Sanders and Welker to return punts this year. Not my favorite choice but I don't think any of the remaining guys offer much to the team.

TE-3
J. Thomas, Virgil Green, and Jacob Tamme-Nobody really worth that 4th TE spot so role into the season with 3.

OL-9
Ryan Clady, Orlando Franklin, Manny Ramirez, Louis Vasquez, Chris Clark, Michael Schofield, Will Montgomery, Ben Garland, Vinston Painter--The starting group is big time but our back ups are a lot of unproven potential. Taking a chance here cutting a veteran like Justice for Painter but hoping the 1st unit can stay healthy.

DL--9
Derek Wolfe, Sylvester Williams, Terrance Knighton, DeMarcus Ware, Malik Jackson, Marvin Austin, Quanterus Smith, Mitch Unrein, and Kenny Ununike--This is the first and biggest surprise cut in Kevin Vickerson not making it. We have had just too much talent shine this off season in this position to hope that Vickerson can stay healthy. Plus his cap number if cut can give us a bit more freedom to resign D. Thomas and J. Thomas.

Linebacker-7
Von Miller, Nate Irving, Danny Trevathan, Brandon Marshall, Lerentee McCray, Lamin Barrow, and Steven Johnson--I thought Johnson was gone for sure but the kid has been playing lights out so far. With Trevathan's injury I think we hold onto that extra guy at least until Trevethan returns.

Cornerback-6
Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Bradley Roby, Kayvon Webster, Omar Bolden, and Tony Carter--I am not a big Tony Carter fan but from what I have understood he has been having a decent off season and his ability to actually catch the ball and cause a turnover will most likely give him a shot in this league.

Safety-4
Rahim Moore, TJ Ward, Quinton Carter, David Bruton--This is the one group that I wish we would roll with 2 quarterbacks because I would love to add one more safety in John Boyett. There will be plays we might be running with 3 safeties on the field so to only have 1 back up to those 3 and him being a special teams player at best is not quite what you want. The talent elsewhere though is just too valuable compared to that of Boyett at this point of who I think we could store on the Practice Squad and if there is an injury bring him up kind of thing.

Of course then you have
Britton Colquitt, Matt Prater, and Aaron Brewer to finish off the 53.

What do you guys think?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that Carter was probably gone after the Seattle game (plus how played most of last year), but you might be right that he makes the team after a much better game against SF. One of the announcers made what I think might be a good point about how the refs calling PI/holding tighter doesn't help TC's game.

I also think that you are right about Vickerson, due to a combination of health, money, and depth. Hope he gets healthy and helps another team if he is in fact cut. Hard to believe that it was only a few years ago that he was arguably the best defensive lineman on our team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Carter does not fit the new rules very well...his nickname of "Sticky" is pretty fitting not only because he does actually catch any football that he gets his hands on but also he just can't seem to get his hands off the receiver. I'm not a fan of his and don't think we need him on the team but I was more going roster wise by what I think the Broncos are going to do. I would rather see them use that Corner spot on a Safety but with Bolden being able to play both positions I think they will feel safer only going into the season with 4 safeties.

Vickerson has been a great Bronco for us. Unfortunately his injury just hasn't given him a chance to show he is worth keeping at the price that he is. Unrein is a younger and little bit cheaper option who fits the hard nosed type players the Broncos like on the team. We shall see though what happens.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good. I think we keep Justice on the offensive line over Garland. I think Burse still has a chance to make the squad, but he's going to have to show something as a returner against Houston. Seven linebackers seems like a lot to keep, but I haven't been watching them closely enough to know which one would get cut (probably either McCray or Barrow as I agree that Johnson has played his way onto the team).

I do think Dysert gets cut. I just don't see the need to carry 3 quarterbacks on the team and I think the Broncos will feel the same way. Maybe Dysert gets cut to make room for Burse and one of the linebackers gets cut to make room for Ihenacho.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good. I think we keep Justice on the offensive line over Garland. I think Burse still has a chance to make the squad, but he's going to have to show something as a returner against Houston. Seven linebackers seems like a lot to keep, but I haven't been watching them closely enough to know which one would get cut (probably either McCray or Barrow as I agree that Johnson has played his way onto the team).

I do think Dysert gets cut. I just don't see the need to carry 3 quarterbacks on the team and I think the Broncos will feel the same way. Maybe Dysert gets cut to make room for Burse and one of the linebackers gets cut to make room for Ihenacho.

I have to disagree on the linebacker part a bit. McCray has been the only one playing the Strong Side Linebacker with the 1's all off season (Miller obviously sidelined). He has been getting rave reviews all off season so I have a hard time seeing him get cut. Same with Barrow in he was a 5th round pick this past draft that had Fox actually running laps around the draft room that they were able to get him. Fox probably talked about him more than any other pick of this draft of just the excitement for him on the field. Johnson is the guy that would be cut but again he has shown some growth this off season so I have a hard time seeing them let him go. Plus add in Trevathan is going to miss some time so going into the season with only 5 healthy linebackers plus one of those spending about 65% of his time on the DL in Miller just seems to be putting a lot of pressure on that position to stay healthy.

I also don't want us to keep 3 quarterbacks. Like I said though people who have talked with the Broncos quite a bit get the feeling that they like Dysert too much to let him hit the open market. He is Practice Squad eligible but most think he won't make it there. Some quarterback needy team like the 49ers will scoop him up pretty quick. So it pretty much is keep him or lose him forever. I for one am willing to lose him forever as I don't think he stands a chance of starting for the Broncos even when Manning retires. Osweiler has shown me plenty to leave me confident in his abilities.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on whether Bennie Fowler at least makes the practice squad? I think he is likely to play in the league, perhaps even becoming a very good player.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler either makes our roster or goes on the practice squad in my opinion. The guy has been pretty darn good in training camp from what I have read and honestly I would love to give him a try as a returner as Burse just can't seem to hold onto the ball in my opinion. The only way though that he makes our roster is if he can also return punts. We already have 5 very capable receivers...what we need is a returner. Like I said though if nothing else he goes on the practice squad. With both DT and Welker having contracts that expire the receiver position is going to need a bit more next year.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too like the idea of seeing what Fowler offers as a punt returner, CD. Don't know whether you saw it, but in the the thread about Norwood, I posted that Fowler returned 15 punts his freshman year at MSU for about 330 yards. Would definitely like to see him get a chance at that in these last two preseason games.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too like the idea of seeing what Fowler offers as a punt returner, CD. Don't know whether you saw it, but in the the thread about Norwood, I posted that Fowler returned 15 punts his freshman year at MSU for about 330 yards. Would definitely like to see him get a chance at that in these last two preseason games.

Yeah I saw that and was left impressed. I know it is a small sample size obviously but that actually would have put him atop college football this past season for punt return average at 22. That to me definitely warrants him an opportunity. I think the team wants somebody for that spot that is more than just a return though. That is why a guy like Isaiah Burse who just has been dropping both passes and punt returns I just have a hard time seeing be the guy they go with. We got rid of a guy that was elite at the big play ability for that very reason. Fowler to me at least offers quite a bit as a receiver that I think can stick on the team for quite some time. IF he has the punt return ability man watch this kid shine for us.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think another guy who might not make it is Innacho. Hasn`t had a very good pre-season IMO. There`s really not alot of wiggle worm on this team so I`am sure there will be a shocker or two besides those listed in SB Nation,etc. predictions:noidea:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think another guy who might not make it is Innacho. Hasn`t had a very good pre-season IMO. There`s really not alot of wiggle worm on this team so I`am sure there will be a shocker or two besides those listed in SB Nation,etc. predictions:noidea:

Yeah Ihenacho seemed to be the talk of camp last year and this year he just looks completely lost. I'm guessing the losing his starting job to TJ Ward has something to do with that of just hurting his confidence. To me at this point I would rather him not make the team and use that roster spot somewhere else. I would rather see a guy like Unrein who has worked his butt off this camp make it than a guy like Ihenacho who I am sure has worked his butt off too but just doesn't look like he can contribute that much to the team at least compared to Unrein. I know that gives us a ton of guys on the DL but after last year having Wolfe, Vickerson, Smith, Miller, and even Ayers for a bit go down it really showed our lack of depth on the DL. We couldn't get any pressure on Wilson in the Super Bowl so having depth that even if a guy goes down we still have a quality guy coming in will be huge.

Also on the Milehighreport one...I am still not a fan of the 3 QB's making the team. I would rather use that extra spot for the Offensive Line. I think we have some quality OL guys that just need another year of growth but I am afraid that they will get scooped up if released. I'm not as worried about Dysert with that happening.