• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The buy low theory for FAs & draft picks

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In no case should talent outweigh knuckle headedness because in football, it affects the ENTIRE team.

It did with Randy Moss. The Pats came within a few points of another superbowl with that knucklehead. Eagles came within a few points of a SB with TO. Steelers won a SB with Santonio Holmes. Vincent Jackson has helped the Chargers get pretty close too. In fact they got screwed by the refs against Moss & the Pats in the AFC Championship game (who subsequengtly lost to Plaxico Burress & the Giants in the SB).

You have to ask HOW big of a knucklehead is he? And he's never been in trouble with the law. I don't think he'd be a bigger problem than quite a few talented WRs in the league going forward.

But when he starts pulling that prima donna shit, he plays himself out of that contract situation if it's my team. Case in point, ask the Jets about how Santonio is working out for them. There is a reason why the Steelers traded him for a can of Copenhagen and a spittoon and the Jets are just now realizing it.

Desean Jackson is a better WR than Santonio Holmes. And what happens if the best offer Desean gets is less than what Santonio got? You'd pass that up?

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Meachem? He has Drew Brees & hasn't developed into a true #1 guy. And Royal is nowehere near a #1. I'd pass.

The Niners need a real #1 guy IMO.

Bowe will get the tag IMO, and Wallace is a RFA. Vincent Jackson's a possibility, but he's even worse character-wise than Desean.

Fuller from A&M seems like a guy who has the potential but hasn't put it together yet (2nd or 3rd round).

It isn't too often that i agree with your choice of FA's sick, but this all sounds good to me. If Bowe is tagged or re-signed than Fuller looks like a good WR to go after in round 2 (don't think he will make it to the 3rd). I'm still a fan of Ryan Broyles depending on how he recovers from that injury.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The only caveat is that Desean would have to get seriously snubbed compared to what he wants. I'd offer him something closer to what Sydney Rice got (who would've gotten much more but had the injury issue).

I like what Desean could do to the offense. I think he'd keep the DBs deeper, and that would open up things more for the running game and for Davis underneath.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick, notice how I said SHOULD. The Pats had enough veteran leadership to where Randy was on his best behavior. Once he acted up, he found himself in the unemployment line. People saw how TO ruined three different franchises with his constant drama. And again, in TO and Moss' case, no Super Bowls there. Same for all the guys you are mentioning, with the exception of Plax, who decided to shoot himself AFTER the SB.

If Desean wants to come on the cheap, so be it. I just don't want to guarantee him a crapload of money only to watch him pull prima donna shit now that he's getting paid. The beauty of Moss' contract in NE was that his cap hit was minimal and his contract IIRC was incentive laden. Best of both worlds. If he acts like an asshole, he gets cut and the team isn't anchored down by some ginormous contract. If he performs, then he gets what he rightfully deserves. Shitheads in college are frankly cheaper to deal with then shithead FA....as a rule given the new CBA. Obviously there are exceptions but there is no reason to sign a malcontent from FA unless they are so low a price, that it doesn't affect your cap long term. And if talented malcontents are being had for a low price, they are probably driven to behave or run the risk of being out of the league because the NFL's care factor for these individuals is dangerously close to zilch.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Desean is pouting in a contract year, what is he going to do when he feels as if he out performed year 2 of his new 6 yr deal? I am much more willing to invest in a guy like Forte, who openly expressed anger in his contract situation but continued to play at a Pro Bowl level. That shows the character of the player. Forte knows that all he has to do is continue to perform and SOMEONE will be offering him a lucrative long term deal. DeSean is a great talent and I love what he does in the open field. If he didn't have the pout fest this year, I would strongly consider him. But his actions don't FEEL like "team player" to me and that doesn't match the culture of this locker room.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Holmes won a SB too. And Plax was a problem for the Giants long before he shot himself in the leg...

Desean won't WANT to come play for cheap. But if that's all he can get I'm fine with that trade off.

Another guy in whom I'd be interested if he doens't get a big offer is Broderick Bunkley. I have no idea what kind of offers he'd get, but he's an underrated player IMO. Corey Redding would be nice too, but he'll probably re-sign. I'd say my boy Calalias Campbell, but he should get a big contract.

I've also been pushing for Tyler Brayton & Alan Branch for a couple pf years now. Branch had a big year though.

And Robert Mathis would be nice of course; don't know if he'd want to play in a 3-4 though. Two 10 sack caliber pass rushers on the defense would be awesome! Haven't had that since the '90's.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmes won a SB too. And Plax was a problem for the Giants long before he shot himself in the leg...

Desean won't WANT to come play for cheap. But if that's all he can get I'm fine with that trade off.

Another guy in whom I'd be interested if he doens't get a big offer is Broderick Bunkley. I have no idea what kind of offers he'd get, but he's an underrated player IMO. Corey Redding would be nice too, but he'll probably re-sign. I'd say my boy Calalias Campbell, but he should get a big contract.

I've also been pushing for Tyler Brayton & Alan Branch for a couple pf years now. Branch had a big year though.

And Robert Mathis would be nice of course; don't know if he'd want to play in a 3-4 though. Two 10 sack caliber pass rushers on the defense would be awesome! Haven't had that since the '90's.

i would love Mathis. I think he can play olb in the 3-4. He'd be a beast.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok back to the buying low theory:

Anyone think Anthony Spencer is better than he looks in Dallas? I don't know if he'll even get starting OLB money in an offer. I don't know if he's any better at rushing the passer than Brooks. But I do know one thing as the New York VaGiants are proving: You can never have too many good pass rushers.