• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Boxscore Breakdown

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indy vs Miami

I really do not care what any of the players said they wanted to win like they have not wanted to win since last year's playoffs.

Breaking down the box score it looks pretty good for the Heat honestly.

They shot 4 for 21 beyond the arc (19%). Miami shoots 36.8% for the season, against the top D they should still be shooting 30%. 30% gives them 2.3 more 3pers for the game and 6 points.

To go into the importance of that a little further, the Heat in their 3 losses to the Pacers last year in the playoffs never shot less than 31.8%. In 1 of their wins they did shoot 27.8% though.

That floor spacing kind of changes everything.

Miami's year averages are all under what they normally shoot and Indy's were all higher. Not an anomaly for the Heat as their numbers should drop against the best D in the league, but Indy's will not maintain that against another great D.

Miami's averages:
50.4% FG
38.6% 3p (includes last nights horror show)
35.5 TRG
9.5 SPG
15.7 TOs

What I notice from the Heat's side: their FG% dropped a normal amount against an elite elite D imo, their 3p% dropped way more than it should have.

They Rebounded their asses off to grab 33 against Indy, that shows their effort and intensity and is probably an anomaly.

TOs, they had 12, this shows focus but I expect that to be higher.

They had 3.5 more steals than their average. This is no anomaly, that is Indy O and I think they have a key to neutralize George, they will need to do it in a way that saves LBJ though.

Indy's averages:
45.3% FG
36.2% 3p
44.2 TRG
7.4 SPG
15.9 TOs

From Indy's side:

They shot 50.7% against a D that is better than they normally face, maybe they will always shoot that high using Hibbert inside all day, time will tell if the Heat can find an answer for that.

They had more TOs than normal and fewer steals. I think both of these are normal against a good team.

All in all Indy played their typical game, the numbers did not differ much.

Indy played an average game, maybe a bit higher than average. Meanwhile Miami shot horribly from 3p even against an elite D and lost by 6. This is actually a good sign for the Heat.

Wildcards:

Miami has 1.5, Beasley will be getting 25+ minutes in the playoffs. He will help on rebounding and 3p% as well as just give a little more O, his D will not be as much of a hindrance as you think against a less than average O and the fact that he plays it now. They have .5 wild card in Oden, if he can give 35 minutes over the course of that series that will be huge. A steady rotation of Bosh, Beasley and Birdman in the front court will be great for the Heat, if Oden can be a part of that in a positive way, look out.

Indy has 1, Granger. Stephenson was pretty good last night, Granger either coming off the bench or starting will be a big boost.

All in all, the game lived up to the hype, it was a low scoring dog fight (as expected) and Indy has bragging rights until the next time they play. These 2 teams that played last night are the 2 best teams in the league.

Indy fans should try to remember that bragging rights are not the same as titles or even the ECF winners. And even if you beat the Heat in May you will still have to play OKC whom you do not match up nearly as well against.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why this forum is a gigantic troll fest with next next to no actual basketball discussion, nobody cares about stats, context and what this game actually means or how to apply it to the future.

Fair enough.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked your breakdown and agree with it.

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why this forum is a gigantic troll fest with next next to no actual basketball discussion, nobody cares about stats, context and what this game actually means or how to apply it to the future.

Fair enough.

I think you did a find job.

One of my hopes is that Lance will continue to mature. While the Heat defense definitely caused some turnovers, Lance leads us in unforced errors. The Heat may not be able to rebound with the Pacers, but if we keep turning the ball over it is just as good for them.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Granger comes back George goes to the SG position or Granger if they are both starting and Lance comes out?

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Granger comes back George goes to the SG position or Granger if they are both starting and Lance comes out?

I doubt Granger will be starting soon. But it will give Vogel the luxury of being able to sit Lance down when he is playing out of control.

I sure hope that kid works on his left hand this next off season. If he gets that down, defenders will not know whether to shit or go blind.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough.

Says one of the biggest trolls on the board...:L

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what I think the Heat are going to need to find a system to stop Hibbert more than George. The Heat have plenty of players who can slow down George, they have nobody that can slow down Hibbert inside. I guess they can counter with outside scoring but that is no way to live or die in the playoffs.

Says one of the biggest trolls on the board...:L

out of sheer boredom, the depth at which most of these discussions are conducted at make it impossible to have rational conversations. Plus some of the Kobe fans make it way too easy. I should probably work more but that is boring too and you can only work out so much a day.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what I think the Heat are going to need to find a system to stop Hibbert more than George. The Heat have plenty of players who can slow down George, they have nobody that can slow down Hibbert inside. I guess they can counter with outside scoring but that is no way to live or die in the playoffs

That's what you got Oden for right, to stop Hibbert? Any news on that guy?

You have a player that can slow down George: Lebron James. That's the problem though. Do you want LBJ expending all that energy on defense? I thought I read a quote where LBJ said guarding George wore him out a bit.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what you got Oden for right, to stop Hibbert? Any news on that guy?

You have a player that can slow down George: Lebron James. That's the problem though. Do you want LBJ expending all that energy on defense? I thought I read a quote where LBJ said guarding George wore him out a bit.

The Heat hopefully have Oden for that. I have heard he could be playing now and they are being very careful with him. I would like to see him work on that awkward as hell foot work, last time he played he looked like an injury...not even an injury waiting to happen, just an injury.

I have also heard that LBJ was tired after trying to defend George. I imagine in the future a committee will be on George until crunch time.

Really, despite the Pacers being pretty LOL on offense they pose horrible match up issues for the Heat.

I think the simplest thing to do right now is put Battier on George and let LBJ/Bosh battle West/Hibbert. With LBJ switching between West and helping on Hibbert I actually think that favors the Heat. in the front court.

Wade, Cole/Chalmers and Battier hold down the front court. I really do not think it takes that much to slow down George, he is a great player because of his D but his O is streaky.

I see that being an issue if George has the ball anywhere not the top of the key and move West behind Hibbert opposite side of the ball down low. It would essentially be Hibbert/George vs Bosh/Battier and we are back to a nightmare for the Heat. You can front Hibbert here with back side help of LBJ and LBJ will need to get back for a cross court pass. When it was in my head that seemed difficult but now writing it seems simple.

If Hibbert bounces it out there would in theory be Stephenson for a 3 and West for a "Haslem 2". Wade and Chalmers/Cole will need to rotate and contest. LBJ/Bosh had better out rebound Hibbert in that situation.

Then there is the cross court pass back to George or Hill and we have started the cycle over again...and that is just one fucking play. Damn coaching would be fun as fuck, like chess with world class athletes!!!

On a side note, we should remember that in a pretty bad spot for the Heat they played pretty fucking hard and their issue was a horrific night from beyond the arc. I do not want to take anything from Indy but the Heat could have easily won this game. Which brings me to the next part...

I think Beasley could be the answer. On offence that will allow them to stretch the floor a bit and hopefully be more reliable from 3p. On D he is young with good quickness he should be able to at least annoy George with his length. If he gets tired Battier can come off the bench.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
84 points? There is nothing to debate.

There is quite a bit more than goes into that, off the top of my head if you watched the game you would know that Miami missed a ton of wide open 3s to the point that I expect Battier's minutes to be cut.

The Indy's D did slow down the Heat, shutting them down is a strong statement though considering how poorly wide open looks were capitalized on.