• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Big XII is the best conference in 2019

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big12 picks up any more schools it will be from the PAC but we don't NEED to pick anyone up TBH. The conference is in good shape.

Not likely, unless its Colorado and/or Utah. The other schools aren't going to want to play a bunch of schools that are two or three time zones away. If you can't get both of those schools, then you might be able to get one of them, along with BYU.

Cincy (UCF/USF/Memphis ect.)doesn’t bring enough to make the TV/media folks happy, we have been down that road already.

With the right mix of games & some upper-tier bowl appearances, UCF/USF/Memphis could grow their media footprint substantially. Cincinnati could help add another contender in men's basketball.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the right mix of games & some upper-tier bowl appearances, UCF/USF/Memphis could grow their media footprint substantially. Cincinnati could help add another contender in men's basketball.
Regionally or nationally?

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma is usually pretty good at winning their bowl games, except when it involves a college playoff game. Unfortunately, four of their last 5 bowl appearances were in the playoffs.
To be fair, they have had nasty opponents! OU does not really deserve grief about their playoff record IMO. I wish Iowa State had OU's C FB Playoff problems.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma is usually pretty good at winning their bowl games, except when it involves a college playoff game. Unfortunately, four of their last 5 bowl appearances were in the playoffs.
:pop2:

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
81570487_1320799818104135_8264428954895515648_o.jpg

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put stock in bowl games? I don't.

There are lots of reason's the Big 12 isn't the best conference. Having the worst record of any conference in bowl games is just a handy one. Not having a team with a competitive defense is another.

Ok, so what are your criteria for not making the Big 12 the best conference? I'm sure we can find some common ground to agree on. :D

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, what criteria do you use?
There isn't any valid criteria IMO. Until they play a lot more OOC games against each other that mean something, there isn't any good criteria. The CFP committee uses what they have, but that has to be stretched quite a bit IMO. If you didn't have players sitting out, teams disappointed, coaches playing for next year, players focused more on bowl activities, etc, then the bowls MIGHT be usable. Even then they don't match up the leagues with #1 vs #1, #2 vs #2, etc.

Bottom line is they need to play more games against each other. But I don't see that happening when all want 7-8 home games. The two don't mesh.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are lots of reason's the Big 12 isn't the best conference. Having the worst record of any conference in bowl games is just a handy one. Not having a team with a competitive defense is another.

Ok, so what are your criteria for not making the Big 12 the best conference? I'm sure we can find some common ground to agree on. :D
I never said the Big 12 was the best conference so I don't need any criteria. In fact, I've said the opposite this year. They were waayyyy down IMHO. OU and Baylor were both fortunate to get to Jerry's World. Check out their conference results for this year. Quite a few games that could have gone either way.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW, welcome to the hoop.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its just fans pickin schools (its not, the media folks make those calls) personally I would have no problem grabbing UC, UCF,USF and Memphis for the Big12.
Instant rival game in FL, WVU/UC prob develops into a trophy game/small rivalry type and we get the best CFB team in the state of Tennessee.

Meh who knows what the criteria will be soon, maybe the Big12 nabs em up after all eventually :noidea:.

As far as the PAC schools I think AZ/ASU or maybe UCLA (though Id rather have USC obviously) may find their way into the Big12 crosshairs.

I don't think you'd even want any Pac-12 schools(distance and crappy time zone issues) and I seriously doubt any Pac-12 schools would want to move out of that conference. They'll just remain as is or maybe they'd add a New Mexico school or BYU, or Air Force or Wyoming or Idaho maybe? I think they'll sit on their current lineup for as long as they can.

As for the Big 12? UC for sure, Memphis would be a good pick up and either of the those 2 florida schools, but not both of them, as that doesn't help their media footprint.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two would need to bring MORE money to the table than what reducing the current payouts from 1/10 to 1/12 would provide. Otherwise the current 10 would lose money...and it is ALL about the money period.

You have heard of something called a media footprint, right? lol

More teams also means more teams going to bowl games, which means more money?

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you'd even want any Pac-12 schools(distance and crappy time zone issues) and I seriously doubt any Pac-12 schools would want to move out of that conference. They'll just remain as is or maybe they'd add a New Mexico school or BYU, or Air Force or Wyoming or Idaho maybe? I think they'll sit on their current lineup for as long as they can.

As for the Big 12? UC for sure, Memphis would be a good pick up and either of the those 2 florida schools, but not both of them, as that doesn't help their media footprint.
I don't think UCF and / or USF make any sense for the Big Xii, but I would rather have the pair than just one. Having BOTH the Orlando and the Tampa market + the Rivalry is better than just one or the other.

I love the idea of UC and Memphis with two nice markets, two old rivals and pointing the spear into both the B1G and the SEC. It's not sexy, but there is a lot of good with both of those schools for football, basketball, media markets, large alumni base, etc.

From the Pac, only the two Arizona Schools make sense. I also wouldn't mind B.Y.U. and Boise State as a pair if the Big Xii looks West. U.N.L.V. with their new football stadium would be interesting with either BSU or BYU too.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think UCF and / or USF make any sense for the Big Xii, but I would rather have the pair than just one. Having BOTH the Orlando and the Tampa market + the Rivalry is better than just one or the other.

I love the idea of UC and Memphis with two nice markets, two old rivals and pointing the spear into both the B1G and the SEC. It's not sexy, but there is a lot of good with both of those schools for football, basketball, media markets, large alumni base, etc.

From the Pac, only the two Arizona Schools make sense. I also wouldn't mind B.Y.U. and Boise State as a pair if the Big Xii looks West. U.N.L.V. with their new football stadium would be interesting with either BSU or BYU too.

Well, the thing with media markets go, getting 2 schools from the same state cuts your added media market almost in half. Back in the ole days, conferences WANTED those kinds of matchups, for the rivalry aspect and for the ease of travel. But in the modern age, conferences want to spread out their media market as much as possible, so getting just one of the florida schools would garner you almost as much of a media footprint as getting them both, hence allowing you to get another school from another state. Also, conferences want to expand their recruiting presence as well, so they now prefer just one school per state.

I forgot about UNLV. They definitely have the potential to get into a major conference. I love Vegas, I'd like the B1G to take in Vegas just because I'd end up going to alot of road games for alot of sports, lol.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have heard of something called a media footprint, right? lol

More teams also means more teams going to bowl games, which means more money?
And you do understand that 1/12 share is less than 1/10 share if tht total doesn't go up by at least 20% more don't you? I know you do, just making the point.

Heard on XM radio yesterday a comment Delaney said in the last days of his tenure. He said technology more than media footprint will drive the next round of negotiations. Ala carte selection. I have no idea if true. But even an old fart like me has to admit the next generation of entertainment consumers ain't gonna be like the last one.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the thing with media markets go, getting 2 schools from the same state cuts your added media market almost in half. Back in the ole days, conferences WANTED those kinds of matchups, for the rivalry aspect and for the ease of travel. But in the modern age, conferences want to spread out their media market as much as possible, so getting just one of the florida schools would garner you almost as much of a media footprint as getting them both, hence allowing you to get another school from another state. Also, conferences want to expand their recruiting presence as well, so they now prefer just one school per state.

I forgot about UNLV. They definitely have the potential to get into a major conference. I love Vegas, I'd like the B1G to take in Vegas just because I'd end up going to alot of road games for alot of sports, lol.
I understand that, but it's not only about football though. Having a neighbor team would help both teams with the other non-revenue sports. Going your route though, UCF and UAB would be solid - especially after UAB moves into their new stadium.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem with Vegas though is you are still in that same time zone issue that the PAC has.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with Vegas though is you are still in that same time zone issue that the PAC has.

Yeah, that would be an issue, but I'm guessing that UNLV also doesn't meet the B1G's academics/research standard, either. And realistically, I think both the B1G and the SEC are happy with having just the 14 they have right now. The only way I can see either making a move to 16 teams, is if say Texas/OU come shopping, or if Notre Dame came shopping, but both UT and ND, right now, would want too much from the B1G. It's probably the biggest reason the Big 12 isn't shopping around for more teams, UT likes it's current situation right now.