• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Best Running Back of All Time

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has obviously been talked about a million times but Walter Payton > Jim Brown and it's not as close as some would think. IMO anyhow...

Why isn´t is close?

Brown averaged over 5.2 yards/carry for his career... nearly had as many TDs in 4 less seasons.

As a Packers fan I have a lot of respect for Sweetness, one of the few Bears I liked during the 80´s. However, greatest RB of all time I think comes down to Brown or Sanders.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thurman Thomas absolutely owned it in Tecmo SuperBowl.

Yeah he was good... But Bo is the biggest beast in Tecmo Bowl... Top 5 RB in Tecmo Superbowl

1. Bo Jackson (Raiders)
2. Barry Sanders (Detroit)
3. Neal Anderson (Bears)
4. Thurman Thomas (Bils)
5. Christian Okoye (Chiefs)

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a lot of running backs. I never saw Jim Brown, but the best I ever saw was Walter.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter Payton was great. Remember seeing this thing as a kid about his training methods, and the staple was running up 'the hill' (~1:00)

Didn't want to throw a negative out in a thread like this, but it was uncool of Ditka to feed Perry that TD run, and WP didn't get one in Super Bowl.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isn´t is close?

Brown averaged over 5.2 yards/carry for his career... nearly had as many TDs in 4 less seasons.

As a Packers fan I have a lot of respect for Sweetness, one of the few Bears I liked during the 80´s. However, greatest RB of all time I think comes down to Brown or Sanders.

The fact you'd put Sanders above Payton makes me question whether I should even have this conversation with you.

Brown played against linebackers who weighed much less than he did, linebackers back in the late 50's early 60's could weigh 180 pounds. Some lineman weighed what Brown weighed. Imagine if Adrian Peterson weighed 275 pounds and was still just as fast. Leroy Kelly came in after Brown retired and put up Jim Brown numbers. Brown also played for much better teams than Payton did. Go look at the offensive players around Payton during his prime, it's almost embarrassing.

Payton was arguably the best blocking back of all time, had arguably the best stiff arm of all time, had great speed, power, was a great receiver and could even throw the ball.

I didn't say Jim Brown wasn't still amazing and I didn't say I had him outside the top five but with all the things Walter did and the players he played with I think there is no question he is the GOAT...

But again this is just my opinion. But again IMO putting Sanders above Walter is ridiculous.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When playing Super Tecmo Bowl I always like being Houston and throwing it with Moon to Jeffries, Hill, Givens and Duncan...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When playing Super Tecmo Bowl I always like being Houston and throwing it with Moon to Jeffries, Hill, Givens and Duncan...

Yep, Houstons passing game is SICK ... Warren Moon has a great QB rating also ...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact you'd put Sanders above Payton makes me question whether I should even have this conversation with you.
I don't know why either.

Barry was the best ever. I've been done with the conversation for awhile now.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Houstons passing game is SICK ... Warren Moon has a great QB rating also ...
Chiefs, Oilers or Raiders was the way to go.

Buffalo as well.

The Howie Long on D and Bo on O combo was ridiculous. Only The Googilly Moogilly Chefs could match it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs, Oilers or Raiders was the way to go.

Buffalo as well.

The Howie Long on D and Bo on O combo was ridiculous. Only The Googilly Moogilly Chefs could match it.

I"m a defensive guy, love having a good defense in football even my football video games ... Chicago's defense is a monster in Tecmo, Mark Carrier is the best INT rated player in the game... They also have Stinson and Woolford at the corner spots ... Then throw in Singletary at the ILB spot, and their D line has Dent, Armstrong and Perry ... Some people think offenses were unstoppable in Tecmo but that's not true if you have the right defensive guy's to work with ... I like the Raider D line but they don't have any high rated cover guy's ... Best team in the game hands down is SF though overall ... They have a good D and the best offense overall... Very few corners could actually stop Jerry Rice because of his catch rating and Montana's 81 PC ... Jerry Rice the most dangerous player in Tecmo, yes even more than Bo ... Only a handful of corners can mathematically stop Rice or pick off Montana ... It's all math in tecmo ... Wayne Haddix (TB) Mark Carrier (Chicago) Richard Johnson( Houston) Are the 3 highest INT players ... There are other good second tier INT guy's that can lower Rice a bit but not as affective as these 3 .... So basically if you have lower rated corner someone can just snap the ball and throw it up to Rice over and over and your screwed.... lol ...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I"m a defensive guy, love having a good defense in football even my football video games ... Chicago's defense is a monster in Tecmo, Mark Carrier is the best INT rated player in the game... They also have Stinson and Woolford at the corner spots ... Then throw in Singletary at the ILB spot, and their D line has Dent, Armstrong and Perry ... Some people think offenses were unstoppable in Tecmo but that's not true if you have the right defensive guy's to work with ... I like the Raider D line but they don't have any high rated cover guy's ... Best team in the game hands down is SF though overall ... They have a good D and the best offense overall... Very few corners could actually stop Jerry Rice because of his catch rating and Montana's 81 PC ... Jerry Rice the most dangerous player in Tecmo, yes even more than Bo ... Only a handful of corners can mathematically stop Rice or pick off Montana ... It's all math in tecmo ... Wayne Haddix (TB) Mark Carrier (Chicago) Richard Johnson( Houston) Are the 3 highest INT players ... There are other good second tier INT guy's that can lower Rice a bit but not as affective as these 3 .... So basically if you have lower rated corner someone can just snap the ball and throw it up to Rice over and over and your screwed.... lol ...

No way can you win Tecmo Tourney with Da Bears, maybe the 9ers, but that's pushing it.

It can't be done. Rice is not enough to out score Houston and San Fran in general can't handle anything the AFC brings, imo. But I'll admit, they have an easy road to the Tecmo Super Bowl. The NFC can't hold a candle in the VideonGame GOAT.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way can you win Tecmo Tourney with Da Bears, maybe the 9ers, but that's pushing it.

It can't be done. Rice is not enough to out score Houston and San Fran in general can't handle anything the AFC brings, imo. But I'll admit, they have an easy road to the Tecmo Super Bowl. The NFC can't hold a candle in the VideonGame GOAT.

Trust me bro, 49rs are the best team in the game... Houston can match-up though, they have a good enough D and a great passing game... But the 49rs are the #1 team PERIOD in Tecmo-bowl ... Giants, Niners, Houston, Buffalo, Raiders, Chicago, Philly, are overall the toughest teams... But at Tecmo tourney's you flip a coin, winner selects match-up loser get's to pick the team... If you win the toss you have to select as even of teams as possible, and trust me NO ONE ever selects the Niners vs anybody... lol ... And yes the Bears can beat any top team also with that defense ... The only reason they're slightly behind teams like Houston or New York is there offense sucks in the passing game... Harbaugh and Tomczack are terrible ...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me bro, 49rs are the best team in the game... Houston can match-up though, they have a good enough D and a great passing game... But the 49rs are the #1 team PERIOD in Tecmo-bowl ... Giants, Niners, Houston, Buffalo, Raiders, Chicago, Philly, are overall the toughest teams... But at Tecmo tourney's you flip a coin, winner selects match-up loser get's to pick the team... If you win the toss you have to select as even of teams as possible, and trust me NO ONE ever selects the Niners vs anybody... lol ... And yes the Bears can beat any top team also with that defense ... The only reason they're slightly behind teams like Houston or New York is there offense sucks in the passing game... Harbaugh and Tomzack are terrible ...
Not even close man. The 9ers are second tier.

Giants!?! Please. Phil Simms might matchup against the computer.... He ain't beating anybody worth their salt in a real Tecmo Game.

In a 4 player tourney the only question was who didn't man up and take an AFC team. (Most normal people had better things to do after Prom their senior year. I co-hosted a Tecmo Tourney. And I graduated in '99. It was already legendary status by then. Off like a Prom Dress? More like image.jpg

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is awful in Tecmo. Still pisses me off.

I have Colts gear on account of that weirdo.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close man. The 9ers are second tier.

Giants!?! Please. Phil Simms might matchup against the computer.... He ain't beating anybody worth their salt in a real Tecmo Game.

In a 4 player tourney the only question was who didn't man up and take an AFC team. (Most normal people had better things to do after Prom their senior year. I co-hosted a Tecmo Tourney. And I graduated in '99. It was already legendary status by then. Off like a Prom Dress? More like View attachment 18015

49rs aren't second tier... LOL .. Your the first man I"ve ever heard say that... Check this website out it's awesome .... Welcome Tecmo Geek. The ultimate guide to Tecmo Super Bowl for NES.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Nigerian Nightmare" Tecmo SuperBowl GOAT

I would give the Tecmo Bowl GOAT title to Bo Jackson. Once he turned that corner it was a wrap......