• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Beltran Dilema

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After a good deal of thought, I honestly think he is the only realistic free agent bat for us. And this isn't because he's finally producing, but because I don't think we can afford Pulojs, Fielder, or Reyes. Which happen to be the only worth while FA bats.

Boras can go fuck himself with that 5/70 nonsense, but if we could get it done for 3 with and option for a fourth, then i think it's no brainer.

I know some people will throw out the but...but, PAYROLL!!!!! And the simple matter of fact is, we need to raise it. We have 2 more years in our guaranteed pitching window, and the garbage pile aint going to help us get back to the promise land. If the FO wants to compete, then they're are going to have to spend the money to do so, and not let past mistakes fuck us over more so than they already have.

CF/SS
Franchez
Posey
Beltran
Panda
Nate
Huff
CF/SS
P

Looks so much better than a line-up with no Tron. FYI, I'm assuming that if we did sign Tron, he would be tossed in LF since he wouldn't have to worry about his FA value dropping.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a good deal of thought, I honestly think he is the only realistic free agent bat for us. And this isn't because he's finally producing, but because I don't think we can afford Pulojs, Fielder, or Reyes. Which happen to be the only worth while FA bats.

Boras can go fuck himself with that 5/70 nonsense, but if we could get it done for 3 with and option for a fourth, then i think it's no brainer.

I know some people will throw out the but...but, PAYROLL!!!!! And the simple matter of fact is, we need to raise it. We have 2 more years in our guaranteed pitching window, and the garbage pile aint going to help us get back to the promise land. If the FO wants to compete, then they're are going to have to spend the money to do so, and not let past mistakes fuck us over more so than they already have.

CF/SS
Franchez
Posey
Beltran
Panda
Nate
Huff
CF/SS
P

Looks so much better than a line-up with no Tron. FYI, I'm assuming that if we did sign Tron, he would be tossed in LF since he wouldn't have to worry about his FA value dropping.

I stopped reading here. Unlikely that the ownership is going to sign off on a payroll expansion to $130MM plus.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped reading here. Unlikely that the ownership is going to sign off on a payroll expansion to $130MM plus.

You're probably right, but they should. 3 million+ fans (and most with Panda hats, foam beards, Lincecum wigs, etc.) attended games of a non-playoff team this year (still holding out hope to the contrary, however). I'm not saying any of that was necessarily their fault or that Beltran is the answer, but if ownership is serious about having a contender next year, I believe they need to expand the payroll past $130 MM.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, from El Lefty Malo:

I know I'm pissing into the wind with this question, but I can't resist: Is there any way you could see Beltran as a Giant next year? I'll go first: Under certain circumstances, yes. Here's why.

- The Giants should think about signing one big free agent bat. Not at third base: That's the Panda's spot. Not shortstop, because they should give Brandon Crawford a shot. Not second base, because Freddy Sanchez will be back, with Jeff Keppinger backing him up. Not catcher. Duh. That leaves first base and the outfield. First base: Do you really want the Giants in on Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols? Even if you think so, nope. No way they spend $25 million a year for five or six years. Beyond those two, who? Carlos Peña? Derrek Lee? Let's move on. Outfielders? Perusing the list, the only guy who might be as productive as Beltran is Nick Swisher.

So here are my circumstances:

- No more than two years guaranteed, but I'd not say no to a third year that vests on performance milestones.
- Must be willing to try left field. (Though let me say this: Ellis Burks, whose knees were reconstructed with QuicKrete, played RF at Mays Field for a couple years and didn't kill anyone.)
- I'm not going to name a price tag, because I don't know what the Giants' finances look like. For all we know, the 2010 post-season riches and 3 million-plus attendance this year and supercargo tanker ships full of merchandise they've been selling make money no object. Maybe, crazy like foxes, they'll shell out best-player-in-baseball-money for Pujols, the best player in baseball, the way they did for Barry Bonds after the 1992 season. I won't pretend to know what payroll ceiling for 2012 is best for the team. I'll only say this: If it's Beltran, the bean counters must guarantee that the Beltran money won't in any way prevent the Giants from extending Cain and Lincecum.

I think he has it essentially right: 2 years plus an option that vests on plate appearances. Unfortunately, an AL team is going to blow that deal out of the water.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all agree Beltran would be a really good guy to have on the team for the next 2-3 years. But we should also agree that he will get far more than that from another team. Yet again, not rooting for the Phil$/Red $ox/Yankee$ has its disadvantages.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, from El Lefty Malo:

I know I'm pissing into the wind with this question, but I can't resist: Is there any way you could see Beltran as a Giant next year? I'll go first: Under certain circumstances, yes. Here's why.

- The Giants should think about signing one big free agent bat. Not at third base: That's the Panda's spot. Not shortstop, because they should give Brandon Crawford a shot. Not second base, because Freddy Sanchez will be back, with Jeff Keppinger backing him up. Not catcher. Duh. That leaves first base and the outfield. First base: Do you really want the Giants in on Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols? Even if you think so, nope. No way they spend $25 million a year for five or six years. Beyond those two, who? Carlos Peña? Derrek Lee? Let's move on. Outfielders? Perusing the list, the only guy who might be as productive as Beltran is Nick Swisher.

So here are my circumstances:

- No more than two years guaranteed, but I'd not say no to a third year that vests on performance milestones.
- Must be willing to try left field. (Though let me say this: Ellis Burks, whose knees were reconstructed with QuicKrete, played RF at Mays Field for a couple years and didn't kill anyone.)
- I'm not going to name a price tag, because I don't know what the Giants' finances look like. For all we know, the 2010 post-season riches and 3 million-plus attendance this year and supercargo tanker ships full of merchandise they've been selling make money no object. Maybe, crazy like foxes, they'll shell out best-player-in-baseball-money for Pujols, the best player in baseball, the way they did for Barry Bonds after the 1992 season. I won't pretend to know what payroll ceiling for 2012 is best for the team. I'll only say this: If it's Beltran, the bean counters must guarantee that the Beltran money won't in any way prevent the Giants from extending Cain and Lincecum.

I think he has it essentially right: 2 years plus an option that vests on plate appearances. Unfortunately, an AL team is going to blow that deal out of the water.

There is the real problem.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a week worth of great games changes everybody's minds? I knew people jumped off the bandwagon to soon ;)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran will be in a Giants uniform next year batting behind Posey and in front of Pablo. I think a 3 year deal would be good enough, 2+1 would be awesome.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beltran will be in a Giants uniform next year batting behind Posey and in front of Pablo. I think a 3 year deal would be good enough, 2+1 would be awesome.

While I would like to say you're right...the Giants are in dire need of another threat at the plate...I just don't think they'll spend the cash.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I would like to say you're right...the Giants are in dire need of another threat at the plate...I just don't think they'll spend the cash.

They are defiantly a tough read. There are signs that they may be able to raise payroll, but what do we know? It will be an interesting offseason for sure (god I hate saying that right now).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why 3? You don't think an AL team (which can move him to DH later) will offer 4 or 5?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why 3? You don't think an AL team (which can move him to DH later) will offer 4 or 5?

IMO that's just what going to get it done. Some vets don't want to accept a DH role, some don't like changing leagues after being in one for the last 8 years. Beltran doesn't really strike me as someone who will care much about switching leagues but he can still play the field and likely won't want to DH anytime soon.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO that's just what going to get it done. Some vets don't want to accept a DH role, some don't like changing leagues after being in one for the last 8 years. Beltran doesn't really strike me as someone who will care much about switching leagues but he can still play the field and likely won't want to DH anytime soon.

It won't matter what he wants, but if he wants 5 years and someone wants to give it to him, I can assure you in 3 years he will be DHing at least half his starts.

If he can truly be had for a 3 year deal I think we would have a shot at him. But I don't. We'll see!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whatever happy pills you are on, pass some over here please! :thumb::thumb:

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It won't matter what he wants, but if he wants 5 years and someone wants to give it to him, I can assure you in 3 years he will be DHing at least half his starts.

If he can truly be had for a 3 year deal I think we would have a shot at him. But I don't. We'll see!

If Tron signs with us, then it's because he wanted to play here, not because he wanted the money.

It's a shot in the dark for sure, but he is literally the only realistic option out there.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tron signs with us, then it's because he wanted to play here, not because he wanted the money.

It's a shot in the dark for sure, but he is literally the only realistic option out there.

Is there anything we've seen to indicate this to be a possibility?

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is there anything we've seen to indicate this to be a possibility?

He wants a ring, and despite what Boras may demand, I think his final choice will be who has the best chance of getting him back into the post season in his contract window.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants a ring, and despite what Boras may demand, I think his final choice will be who has the best chance of getting him back into the post season in his contract window.

There are 3-4 big money clubs in the AL who fit that description.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since he got to experience what kind of lineups we throw out there, I just have to feel like he will figure on better post season chances with the following AL teams (who, if they want him, can easily offer 5 years): Texas, LAA, NYY (bye bye Swisher), Boston (bye bye Drew), Tampa (maybe about the same postseason chances as us, but less $ to offer), Detroit (bye bye Ordonez)

There's not a zero % chance he will decide SF is where he can win a ring, and be willing to take a 3 year deal to stay...but IMO it's a very small chance.

I just don't see Beltran signing with us as a FA. Doesn't mean they won't talk to him and Boras, but there's too many other places that he can go that fit better.