• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The 2024 Season... Changes Everywhere! Quiet Optimism?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my annual summary of the off-season that's usually posted just before the Season Prediction thread comes out, so let's get to it!

The Washington Commanders are entering the 2024 NFL season with a mix of optimism and caution. After a challenging 2023 season where they finished with a 4-13 record, significant changes have been made to the roster and coaching staff, aiming to turn the franchise’s fortunes around.

Key Changes and Additions

Coaching and Management:

Head Coach:
Dan Quinn, known for his defensive acumen, has taken over as head coach. His leadership is expected to bring a new level of discipline and strategy to the team.

General Manager: Adam Peters has revamped the roster, focusing on both immediate impact players and long-term potential.

Offensive Additions:

Quarterback:
Jayden Daniels, the Heisman Trophy winner from LSU, is the new face of the franchise. His dual-threat capability is expected to energize the offense.

Running Back: Austin Ekeler joins the backfield, providing a dynamic complement to Brian Robinson Jr.

Wide Receivers: With Curtis Samuel gone, the team has added Olamide Zaccheaus and drafted Luke McCaffrey to support Terry McLaurin and newly signed Noah Brown

Offensive Line: Key additions include Pro Bowl center Tyler Biadasz, and Nick Allegretti the possible emergence of newly drafted LT 3rd round pick Brandon Coleman added to returnees, Sam Cosmi and Andrew Wiley all, aiming to provide better protection for Daniels than last year’s group did for Sam Howell.

Defensive Additions:

Linebackers:
Veterans Bobby Wagner and Frankie Luvu bring experience and leadership.

Defensive Ends: Dorance Armstrong, Clelin Ferrell, and Dante Fowler are expected to bolster the pass rush.

Secondary: Jeremy Chinn, Michael Davis, Martin Quan and the growing fan favorite Mike Sainristil join the returning Darrick Forest with have joined forces to breathe life into what’s become a seasonal weakness in a defensive backfield opposing offenses loved to see on their schedules. If they can show some ability to hold their own better outcomes will become apparent in the W/L record

Key Losses
Wide Receiver:
Curtis Samuel
Quarterback: Sam Howell
Running Back: Antonio Gibson
Tight End: Logan Thomas
Defensive End: Casey Toohill
Safety: Kameren Curl

Season Outlook

Offense:
The Commanders’ offense will be under the spotlight with Jayden Daniels at the helm. His ability to extend plays with his legs and make accurate throws on the run will be crucial. The offensive line’s performance will be key, especially with a rookie quarterback. The addition of Ekeler provides a versatile weapon out of the backfield, and the receiving corps, led by McLaurin, Noah Brown, and Dayami Brown should offer reliable targets, with Zach Ertz if he’s has more in the tank, becoming Daniels primary safety valve.

Defense: Dan Quinn’s defensive expertise will be tested as he integrates new players into the system. The linebacker corps, now featuring Wagner and Luvu, should be more robust, while the defensive line aims to apply consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The secondary, with new additions, will need to gel quickly to prevent big plays.

Predictions

Jayden Daniels Performance:
There are bold predictions that Daniels could push for the Rookie of the Year award behind an exceptional season, but I’ll temper my outlook for him by suggesting that Jayden could total 4,500 yards via a combination of his passing and rushing abilities..

Team Record: Optimistically, and I'm not quite that optimistic, the Commanders could finish above .500,potentially
achieving a 9-8 record this would be a significant improvement and could position them for a playoff push. (More on this in the Season Prediction Thread)

Key Games: The Commanders will face tough competition, including matchups against the NFC South and AFC North. Primetime games against the Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles will be critical tests. I’m marking the season finale at Dallas as something that it hasn’t been in a long time… important, and perhaps optimistically… crucial.

Conclusion:
The 2024 season for the Washington Commanders is one of rebuilding and potential. With new leadership and a revamped roster, there is cautious optimism that the team can improve significantly from last year’s performance. Fans will be watching closely to see how the new additions, especially Jayden Daniels, perform under the bright lights of the NFL. Enjoy the season everyone!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my annual summary of the off-season that's usually posted just before the Season Prediction thread comes out, so let's get to it!

The Washington Commanders are entering the 2024 NFL season with a mix of optimism and caution. After a challenging 2023 season where they finished with a 4-13 record, significant changes have been made to the roster and coaching staff, aiming to turn the franchise’s fortunes around.

Key Changes and Additions

Coaching and Management:

Head Coach:
Dan Quinn, known for his defensive acumen, has taken over as head coach. His leadership is expected to bring a new level of discipline and strategy to the team.

General Manager: Adam Peters has revamped the roster, focusing on both immediate impact players and long-term potential.

Offensive Additions:

Quarterback:
Jayden Daniels, the Heisman Trophy winner from LSU, is the new face of the franchise. His dual-threat capability is expected to energize the offense.

Running Back: Austin Ekeler joins the backfield, providing a dynamic complement to Brian Robinson Jr.

Wide Receivers: With Curtis Samuel gone, the team has added Olamide Zaccheaus and drafted Luke McCaffrey to support Terry McLaurin and newly signed Noah Brown

Offensive Line: Key additions include Pro Bowl center Tyler Biadasz, and Nick Allegretti the possible emergence of newly drafted LT 3rd round pick Brandon Coleman added to returnees, Sam Cosmi and Andrew Wiley all, aiming to provide better protection for Daniels than last year’s group did for Sam Howell.

Defensive Additions:

Linebackers:
Veterans Bobby Wagner and Frankie Luvu bring experience and leadership.

Defensive Ends: Dorance Armstrong, Clelin Ferrell, and Dante Fowler are expected to bolster the pass rush.

Secondary: Jeremy Chinn, Michael Davis, Martin Quan and the growing fan favorite Mike Sainristil join the returning Darrick Forest with have joined forces to breathe life into what’s become a seasonal weakness in a defensive backfield opposing offenses loved to see on their schedules. If they can show some ability to hold their own better outcomes will become apparent in the W/L record

Key Losses
Wide Receiver:
Curtis Samuel
Quarterback: Sam Howell
Running Back: Antonio Gibson
Tight End: Logan Thomas
Defensive End: Casey Toohill
Safety: Kameren Curl

Season Outlook

Offense:
The Commanders’ offense will be under the spotlight with Jayden Daniels at the helm. His ability to extend plays with his legs and make accurate throws on the run will be crucial. The offensive line’s performance will be key, especially with a rookie quarterback. The addition of Ekeler provides a versatile weapon out of the backfield, and the receiving corps, led by McLaurin, Noah Brown, and Dayami Brown should offer reliable targets, with Zach Ertz if he’s has more in the tank, becoming Daniels primary safety valve.

Defense: Dan Quinn’s defensive expertise will be tested as he integrates new players into the system. The linebacker corps, now featuring Wagner and Luvu, should be more robust, while the defensive line aims to apply consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The secondary, with new additions, will need to gel quickly to prevent big plays.

Predictions

Jayden Daniels Performance:
There are bold predictions that Daniels could push for the Rookie of the Year award behind an exceptional season, but I’ll temper my outlook for him by suggesting that Jayden could total 4,500 yards via a combination of his passing and rushing abilities..

Team Record: Optimistically, and I'm not quite that optimistic, the Commanders could finish above .500,potentially
achieving a 9-8 record this would be a significant improvement and could position them for a playoff push. (More on this in the Season Prediction Thread)

Key Games: The Commanders will face tough competition, including matchups against the NFC South and AFC North. Primetime games against the Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles will be critical tests. I’m marking the season finale at Dallas as something that it hasn’t been in a long time… important, and perhaps optimistically… crucial.

Conclusion:
The 2024 season for the Washington Commanders is one of rebuilding and potential. With new leadership and a revamped roster, there is cautious optimism that the team can improve significantly from last year’s performance. Fans will be watching closely to see how the new additions, especially Jayden Daniels, perform under the bright lights of the NFL. Enjoy the season everyone!
Very well done sty !

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clearly a longer than a 1 season rebuild.
I'm with Dan Quinn on the whole rebuild thingy... (an interview excerpt)

Washington hasn't had a winning season since 2016 (8-7) and hasn't had a double-digit winning season since 2012 (10-6) and since 1992, only has nine winning seasons.
With a changing of the guard at the top and changes in personnel expected, Quinn made it clear that the franchise isn't in a rebuilding phase.
"I know it's a big topic and I would say this is a recalibrate," Quinn said. "Finding our north again, and that starts with our identity of our club. So no, you will not hear me say the word rebuild at all. This is about assessing what we have. How do we add to that? And then how quickly we can accelerate this process together. There is no timeline on that, but we will push it hard to see how good we can get and how fast we can get.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having not paid attention to whatever the commanders did this offseason, and watching a total of 5 minutes of preseason action, I’m just hoping for close games and good football.

I really hope they can protect JD who seems to be a legit qb.

If the commanders go 6-11 but are a tough out in every game regardless of who they play, that would be great, and certainly better than lucking into a 8-9 playoff season through smoke and mirrors.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having not paid attention to whatever the commanders did this offseason, and watching a total of 5 minutes of preseason action, I’m just hoping for close games and good football.

I really hope they can protect JD who seems to be a legit qb.

If the commanders go 6-11 but are a tough out in every game regardless of who they play, that would be great, and certainly better than lucking into a 8-9 playoff season through smoke and mirrors.
I thought about creating a thread relating to identity and how that plays into the grit of a team. So, with the historical backdrop of skepticism, and since you brought it up, would you feel more enthusiastic, less so, or about the same, if both things happened? ( Being a tough out in every game and winning 8 of them)

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about creating a thread relating to identity and how that plays into the grit of a team. So, with the historical backdrop of skepticism, and since you brought it up, would you feel more enthusiastic, less so, or about the same, if both things happened? ( Being a tough out in every game and winning 8 of them)

I’d be thrilled if they were a tough out in every game and winning 8 of them, actually.

I trust in AP more than I trust in Dan Quinn. I think Quinn did hire himself a pretty good staff, but Kingsbury hasnt exactly lit the world on fire and Joe Whitt hasnt ever been a d coordinator.

The potential is there, but the historical backdrop suggests healthy skepticism is unavoidable until the culture is really, truly changed.

The first step is not getting blown out routinely.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d be thrilled if they were a tough out in every game and winning 8 of them, actually.

I trust in AP more than I trust in Dan Quinn. I think Quinn did hire himself a pretty good staff, but Kingsbury hasnt exactly lit the world on fire and Joe Whitt hasnt ever been a d coordinator.

The potential is there, but the historical backdrop suggests healthy skepticism is unavoidable until the culture is really, truly changed.

The first step is not getting blown out routinely.
Every report bar none, speaks to the changed atmosphere at camp this year. Psychologically, this has to have some effect on the confidence in the players. Of course as Mike Tyson once famously said... " Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!"
To me the question then becomes how does this team respond to their gut checks? When we know the answer to that question and it's different from previous editions of this team, we'll know that 8 is possible. First up Tampa, in their place and they will throw everything at our rookie QB, newly installed defense and the coaching staff as well.