• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coby deserves a mention though (and he's coming from a far lower starting point)
How so?
“Great job getting more time on the ball and more shots when a listless organization finally decided to quit on an asset they overpaid and can’t trade. Way to go, young brother!”

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree

For 2 reasons

1) maxey broke out last year and had a better case last year

2) giving it to guys on rookie deals is stupid, just like when wemby wins this thing next year or the year after that will be impossibly dumb
Maxey has had a good argument each of the last 3 seasons. He embodies the award. 21 - 8 PPG 22 - 17 PPG 23 - 20 PPG 24 - 26 PPG. He keeps earning the right to do more for his team and carry a bigger load. With each chance he’s upped his production without having to give up efficiency.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so?
“Great job getting more time on the ball and more shots when a listless organization finally decided to quit on an asset they overpaid and can’t trade. Way to go, young brother!”

What was Maxey's big growth? Scoring 5 more pts on 5 more shots in 4 more minutes? His FG% and 3% are both down. His rebounds are up marginally (.8). His assists did increase by almost 3, but that's essentially it.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Maxey's big growth? Scoring 5 more pts on 5 more shots in 4 more minutes?
Yep. He was the third option last year and this year he was the clear second option. His assists are way up as he made the transition to the team’s primary ball handler. He had a tough act to follow with the Harden/Embiid two man game that was elite. Maxey/Embiid two man game has been even better. He stroked the three better than Harden and he still has that bad ass quickness to the rim. When Embiid went down he had to be the number one option on a team that wasn’t built for him.

Maxey has grown by leaps and bounds each year. This is the first plus year Coby White has had in his career. He’s still not the player Maxey is. Are we here to hand awards to lesser basketball players now?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. He was the third option last year and this year he was the clear second option. His assists are way up as he made the transition to the team’s primary ball handler. He had a tough act to follow with the Harden/Embiid two man game that was elite. Maxey/Embiid two man game has been even better. He stroked the three better than Harden and he still has that bad ass quickness to the rim. When Embiid went down he had to be the number one option on a team that wasn’t built for him.

Maxey has grown by leaps and bounds each year. This is the first plus year Coby White has had in his career. He’s still not the player Maxey is. Are we here to hand awards to lesser basketball players now?

Lesser isn't the point, it's MOST IMPROVED. You can't condemn one players stats as being due to more opportunity, then applaud your own player for the very same thing.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why give the mip to anyone but the MVP then? Your lesser player logic doesn't follow because it's a reward for most improved, not better player.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lesser isn't the point, it's MOST IMPROVED. You can't condemn one players stats as being due to more opportunity, then applaud your own player for the very same thing.
I can do whatever I please. Tyrese Maxey is a better basketball player than Coby White. End of that story.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why give the mip to anyone but the MVP then? Your lesser player logic doesn't follow because it's a reward for most improved, not better player.
How is White more improved than Maxey?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Maxey is a good player but I do not think the Sixers have much of a chance with him as a #2.....I think he is much better suited as a #3....Sixers did a great job drafting and developing him, but really have not used their cap space or trade assets well to bring in another player.

It is so hard to win in the NBA-- Embiid has to be basically perfect for them to have a chance with Maxey and Harris as their #2 and #3.

Embiid does have that potential though if he can actually be healthy.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Maxey's big growth? Scoring 5 more pts on 5 more shots in 4 more minutes? His FG% and 3% are both down. His rebounds are up marginally (.8). His assists did increase by almost 3, but that's essentially it.
he is 4th in the entire NBA in shots per game. That is wild if you ask me.

Sixers have not done a very good job constructing that roster. Maxey is a good player but he is getting attempts like he is one of the top 10 guys i nthe NBA.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what the award is for.
At least you own your homerism I guess...
It’s not a homer take. White has underachieved for most of his career. He’s had one year where he hasn’t been a nobody. Meanwhile Maxey has made an appreciable jump each of the last 3 years. He incrementally got better than White did this year and he’s also the better basketball player. In what way is White more deserving of this award?!?!?!? Shit, Maxey likely should have won this award last year or the year before that.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Maxey is a good player but I do not think the Sixers have much of a chance with him as a #2.....
I don’t give a fuck what you think. You know this. If it’s not baseball you can’t hang.
I think he is much better suited as a #3..
Yeah it would be great to have 2 guys better than Maxey and his efficient 26/6. It’s hard enough to find one player better than Tyrese Maxey let alone 2 on your team.
..Sixers did a great job drafting and developing him, but really have not used their cap space or trade assets well to bring in another player.
I agree and have been saying this for years.
It is so hard to win in the NBA-- Embiid has to be basically perfect for them to have a chance with Maxey and Harris as their #2 and #3.
Embiid just has to be regular season Embiid at both ends, especially this year. The East is Boston and dog food.
Embiid does have that potential though if he can actually be healthy.
Yep.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s skewed because Embiid was hurt for 9 weeks. This is why I value the antithesis of you. You don’t watch games. I bet you’ve seen Maxey play maybe 2-3 times tops this year. You’re a Rotiserrie Rat and analytics dweeb. You don’t actually watch the game. You just look at spreadsheets and that becomes the core of your understanding and commentary.
Sixers have not done a very good job constructing that roster. Maxey is a good player but he is getting attempts like he is one of the top 10 guys i nthe NBA.
You’re absolutely wrong. They have finally gotten away from “get the biggest name you can find” to instead consider fit around Embiid. This is the best group of “others” the Sixers have had in the Embiid era.

You have no fucking clue what you’re talking about.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Making 45% and 37% of his shots.

Coby? 45% and 38%.

It's a wash in shooting. But, Maxey is the better scorer and passer while White is a slightly better rebounder

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is White more improved than Maxey?

Maxey improved by 5 pts on 5 more shots and 3 more apg in 4 more mpg on lesser shooting from the field

White improved by 9 pts on 7 more shots and 2 more apg in 13 more mpg on slightly improved shooting from the field

Not claiming he's more improved, but he's in the discussion, as is Sengun, Jalen Johnson, Jalen Williams, Grayson Allen, your buddy Kuminga, maybe Naz Reid, etc. The best arguments vs Maxey are probably Scottie Barnes and Deni Avdija IMO.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not a homer take. White has underachieved for most of his career. He’s had one year where he hasn’t been a nobody. Meanwhile Maxey has made an appreciable jump each of the last 3 years. He incrementally got better than White did this year and he’s also the better basketball player. In what way is White more deserving of this award?!?!?!? Shit, Maxey likely should have won this award last year or the year before that.

First of all, it's not a multi-year award. White was probably being written off as not underachieving but overdrafted prior to this season.

Again, not saying he's the better candidate, but your complete dismissal of him is childish.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t give a fuck what you think. You know this. If it’s not baseball you can’t hang.

Yeah it would be great to have 2 guys better than Maxey and his efficient 26/6. It’s hard enough to find one player better than Tyrese Maxey let alone 2 on your team.

I agree and have been saying this for years.

Embiid just has to be regular season Embiid at both ends, especially this year. The East is Boston and dog food.

Yep.
ehhh...efficiency wise he is def. on the lower end of the scale for guys that shoot around that many shots per game.

I understand it though- especially with Embiid out for so long- he basically had the ball in his hands as much as any player in the NBA this season. They did eventually get Lowry who can handle the ball a little bit (even though he is mostly cooked), but no one else on that team can really handle the ball.

They desperately needed the volume from him this year and he stepped up to his credit.

I find it hard to believe you think Maxey is well suited for a #2 role. Looking around the NBA you see guys like Brown, Booker, Davis, Kyrie, George, Murray, Edwards (or Towns depending on how you see it) that he really isn't on the level for, Though he would be a better #2 then other guys on the Knicks- prob. the Bucks at this point---- OKC at least for now, some other fringe contenders

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxey improved by 5 pts on 5 more shots and 3 more apg in 4 more mpg on lesser shooting from the field

White improved by 9 pts on 7 more shots and 2 more apg in 13 more mpg on slightly improved shooting from the field

Not claiming he's more improved, but he's in the discussion, as is Sengun, Jalen Johnson, Jalen Williams, Grayson Allen, your buddy Kuminga, maybe Naz Reid, etc. The best arguments vs Maxey are probably Scottie Barnes and Deni Avdija IMO.
Maxey is clearly the winner of this award and a big part of that is the fact that he should have won it one of the last two years. None of those guys you mentioned played themselves into being All Stars. Grayson Allen?!?!?!? WTF are we even doing here haha.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, it's not a multi-year award. White was probably being written off as not underachieving but overdrafted prior to this season.

Again, not saying he's the better candidate, but your complete dismissal of him is childish.
I’m dismissive of everybody not just White. This is clearly Maxey’s award. The voting results shouldn’t be close.

Reactions: DJ