• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

That play by Weems on the punt, near the goal line...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the penalty exception (maybe so you can't illegally block someone into touching it?), but yes, my understanding of the rest of the rule matches your post. Once it is touched first by the punting team, it's hard to lose the ball. I honestly don't get that either. Making it impossible to lose it at that spot makes sense, but if you fumble later in the play it's unrelated.

Yeah, the rule was put in place to prevent punt coverage units from being able to bat the ball off of opposing players, in order to create a live ball. I get that.

However, why you can't loose the ball AFTER GAINING FULL POSSESSION, is quite puzzling. Perhaps there is an explanation.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good question. I think he could have lost possession though once he got it and started to run with it. its a Cliff hanger i guess.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good question. I think he could have lost possession though once he got it and started to run with it. its a Cliff hanger i guess.

Read the above posts by BLH.

It's not a cliff hanger at all. Even if he gains possession, if he then fumbles, and then Minnesota recovers. It is still the Bears ball.

The Bears would have to commit a penalty after the fumble is recovered by Minnesota for it to be their ball.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First touching creates a free play for the receiving team...and they have the option of either taking the ball at the spot of the first touch, or where the play is ruled dead. The only way they could lose the ball is in the manner in which I described. No cliff hangers...honest, lol.