• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Terrell Owens

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Owens will be ready to play in a nov...If we continue to win and edwards still isn't healthy...Do we take a chance on him and sign him to a 1 year deal?

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Owens will be ready to play in a nov...If we continue to win and edwards still isn't healthy...Do we take a chance on him and sign him to a 1 year deal?

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

In other words...NO!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now wait a minute, let's think about this - Okay, I've thought about it - hello no!!!

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right! Who would want a receiver who went for 1000 yards in only 14 games last year? Especially when he did it on a team so dysfunctional, players rather RETIRE than continue to play for said team?

If we were a team with an established core of WRs, I'd say no to TO, but we aren't. If Edwards is still hurt/not effective when he comes back, I 100% support reaching out to TO and offering him a contract for the rest of the season. The man has worked very hard over the past few years to not be the "same ol' TO" that creates distractions and fractures locker rooms. TO is a borderline HOF player, and to ignore an opportunity like this very much feels to me like emotions clouding reasonable judgment.

The two important things to remember, though, are 1) signing TO is contingent on Edwards being hampered by injury and/or ineffectiveness, and 2) both TO and 49ers brass wanting anything to do with each other.

That being said, I think the latter is what makes the deal fall somewhere between 'unlikely' and 'no chance in hell.'

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Right! Who would want a receiver who went for 1000 yards in only 14 games last year? Especially when he did it on a team so dysfunctional, players rather RETIRE than continue to play for said team?

If we were a team with an established core of WRs, I'd say no to TO, but we aren't. If Edwards is still hurt/not effective when he comes back, I 100% support reaching out to TO and offering him a contract for the rest of the season. The man has worked very hard over the past few years to not be the "same ol' TO" that creates distractions and fractures locker rooms. TO is a borderline HOF player, and to ignore an opportunity like this very much feels to me like emotions clouding reasonable judgment.

The two important things to remember, though, are 1) signing TO is contingent on Edwards being hampered by injury and/or ineffectiveness, and 2) both TO and 49ers brass wanting anything to do with each other.

That being said, I think the latter is what makes the deal fall somewhere between 'unlikely' and 'no chance in hell.'

You forgot the part about him being a WR in his mid-30s who is coming back from a torn ACL just a few months ago. You're concerned about Edwards coming back at less than 100% after a month with a slight knee injury, but you're on board with an (considerably) older TO coming back from a torn ACL after 2.5 or 3 months?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imac, I'm not terribly concerned with Edwards, just answering OP's hypothetical question of "If Edwards is still injured..." I personally think Edwards will come back fine, meaning we won't need TO, but I still think TO will be serviceable for some team. And beyond that, I only suggested a 1 year contract. If TO is ineffective coming off this injury, or because of age, the damage would be negligible merely because it's only 1 year - not even - the contract would be a month and a half.

I hate to use this analogy, but oh well... Remember when the 49ers thought Rice wasn't worth bringing back because he was in his mid-to-late 30s? Remember how that debauchery turned out? Rice putting up multiple 1000 yard seasons on the wrong side of the Bay Bridge.

The one thing no one can fault TO for is his dedication to staying in excellent football shape. If anyone can continue to defy time and play at a high level past their prime, Owens can. For a team in need of a stop gap, Owens should be worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
imac, I'm not terribly concerned with Edwards, just answering OP's hypothetical question of "If Edwards is still injured..." I personally think Edwards will come back fine, meaning we won't need TO, but I still think TO will be serviceable for some team. And beyond that, I only suggested a 1 year contract. If TO is ineffective coming off this injury, or because of age, the damage would be negligible merely because it's only 1 year - not even - the contract would be a month and a half.

I hate to use this analogy, but oh well... Remember when the 49ers thought Rice wasn't worth bringing back because he was in his mid-to-late 30s? Remember how that debauchery turned out? Rice putting up multiple 1000 yard seasons on the wrong side of the Bay Bridge.

The one thing no one can fault TO for is his dedication to staying in excellent football shape. If anyone can continue to defy time and play at a high level past their prime, Owens can. For a team in need of a stop gap, Owens should be worth a look.

You should hate to use that analogy. Rice tore his knee up in September of 96. He played 5 years for us first. He wasn't let go because we didn't feel he could contribute anymore. He was let go because we had 2 alpha dogs at WR and felt we could only afford one. The team chose Owens.

Owens tore his knee up this summer. He hasn't shown at all that he's recovered from it. It's been about 2.5 months since it happened.

This is without addressing at all the personality that we would be inviting to the team. Is this a team that can afford to bring in a potentially decisive personality? Is Owens a guy that will get this team to the Super Bowl? As you said, it's a contract for just a few months. Is the potential MAXIMUM upside worth the potential downside?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think owens realizes he's not what he used to be. i'd be open to the possibility, but harbaugh would have to have a sit down with owens.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad analogy because I wasn't thinking of it the way you took it. I wasn't thinking the knee at all - meant it insomuch as you described it: Rice was deemed as too old, while we had a beast of a WR behind him in TO. My apologies for not explaining more thoroughly what I was getting at.

As to your questions: Yes, I think TO is worth it. I mentioned before how I believe TO has been avoiding the obnoxious and divisive behavior that has hurt teams he's played for. I think TO deserves a bit of credit here because he must realize that with any opportunity given, he's playing for a contract next year, so why would he jeopardize himself in what amounts to a prolonged job interview?

As for the SuperBowl, All I've gotta say is this: Playoffs? You kiddin me?! PLAYOFFS??! ( /Mora Sr outburst)

I'm not thinking of the playoffs at this point, (although I do feel the 49ers have put themselves in the position to win the division) I focus on what could help the 9ers win the NEXT game, and if Edwards is hurt, yes, I believe TO would bring on the field value. I'd love for the 49ers to make it to the SuperBowl, but I'm not going to anoint them contenders because they could possibly sign TO. But what I will say, is that the measure of a free agent signing should not be whether that single person will make or break an opportunity at the SuperBowl.

If the 49ers are in the hunt for a playoff spot when TO becomes healthy, a month of TO is a low floor high ceiling move imo.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to Owens. The niners appear to be on the path of harmony and chemistry inside the locker room and on the field. Terrell's past is too much to gamble on in my view for a team who is not a legit Super Bowl threat at this stage of the game. What's the old saying? 1 bad apple spoils the whole bunch? Too much history of spoiling the whole bunch. Too many prior incidents, sorry, I'll pass

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case it hasn't been said enough. No to Owens.

He never responds well to being in a low scoring passing offense. He is going to bitch and moan about not getting enough looks even if the 49ers are winning. After all these years, he still hasn't matured as a person or a player.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sold that Owens has turned over a new leaf attitude wise. He was quiet in Buffalo and Cinci, but they combined to win 10 games with him. I think TO had accepted those teams were not going to be good. When he's playing for a team that he thinks can/should be successful, I think he gets loud and obnoxious. That would likely happen in SF.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I reiterate that he must realize at this stage that no team is signing him for longer than this season, and he will be playing to prove that he still has the value that many of you believe him to be absent of.

Im sure a few of you saw the clip of him crying on his reality show because his finances are in the toilet and he's bankrupt. Unlike past years when he was viewed as a top 5 WR in the NFL, he NEEDS it now. Even if you think him crying was merely a show, (I'll believe it could've been) he's older, has misused much of his money, and probably realizes he's never going to win a SuperBowl or be inducted into the HOF. No matter how much he claims that these things don't bother him, we know those things DO matter because of his insecurities.

I think TO is at a point where he needs the NFL more than it needs him, so he's likely to be on his best behavior. The excuse of "TO is just biding his time so he can bitch and complain as a part of his master plan of f***ing up as many teams as he possibly can" is getting really tired. I wouldn't have touched TO 4 years ago, but a lot of time has passed and his situation is different. TO is viewed as 1 step up from the bubonic plague at this point, and that has to be a humbling experience.

Has TO the man changed much over the years? Probably not a whole lot, but you better believe he has noticed his behavior has bit him on the ***.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It doesn't really matter since from what I've read Owens just didn't burn bridges here but napalmed them so I can't envision a scenario where he's resigned.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't really matter since from what I've read Owens just didn't burn bridges here but napalmed them so I can't envision a scenario where he's resigned.

everyone that he ripped is long gone as far as i remember.

mrmetoo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You should hate to use that analogy. Rice tore his knee up in September of 96. He played 5 years for us first. He wasn't let go because we didn't feel he could contribute anymore. He was let go because we had 2 alpha dogs at WR and felt we could only afford one. The team chose Owens.

Owens tore his knee up this summer. He hasn't shown at all that he's recovered from it. It's been about 2.5 months since it happened.
This is without addressing at all the personality that we would be inviting to the team. Is this a team that can afford to bring in a potentially decisive personality? Is Owens a guy that will get this team to the Super Bowl? As you said, it's a contract for just a few months. Is the potential MAXIMUM upside worth the potential downside?

Pretty sure it happened at the beginning of April, making it nearly 6 months since the injury occurred.