• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teddy Tweets ‘Bye-Bye’

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to see Huggins force another kid off the team.

Expect an announcement of a new commit sometime within the next couple of days...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to see Huggins force another kid off the team.

Expect an announcement of a new commit sometime within the next couple of days...

You guys did just host a former Uconn commit in Matthews.

He’d be an interesting get.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy went to the same high school I did. It would be nice if he went to Creighton or Nebraska, but neither school recruited him while he was here. He's originally from Arizona, I think.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys did just host a former Uconn commit in Matthews.

He’d be an interesting get.
That seems to be whats in the works right now.

Teddy showed flashes and I enjoyed watching him play but, kid clearly has an attitude/maturity issue at this point.
I hope for his sake he gets a handle on it.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy went to the same high school I did. It would be nice if he went to Creighton or Nebraska, but neither school recruited him while he was here. He's originally from Arizona, I think.

He was from Arizona.

How did you end up at Boys Town?

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was from Arizona.

How did you end up at Boys Town?

Through a series of unfortunate events.

It was different back when I was there. It was more of a final destination, long term placement kind of place. Orphans, kids from broken homes, and problem kids made up most of the guys who were there when I was. I graduated with guys who had lived there for 8 years or more. I was there for 3+years.
These days it is more like a treatment program for behavioral issues. Kids are in and out of there in 9 months (unless you are a 4 star ball player.) There are also girls there these days. They started arriving midway through my junior year with a group of 5 as a pilot program.

Many of us from the old days are not happy with the path our home has taken.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the response!

I don't know Teddy's personal story, and on the 247 WVU message board, I have spent the past couple of days giving my thoughts about Teddy... his handling at WVU by the coaching staff. Even today, I'm coming under attack for supporting Teddy there. But, it's OK... most people are in the dark about schools like Boys Town.

My oldest son will be turning 21 in July. He has a number of different issues... anxiety, oppositional defiant disorder, bipolar disorder, and ADHD. When he turned 14, his choices started affecting his safety and the safety of my other two kids as well as my wife and me. We struggled with what to do, but we ended up having him transported to a therapeutic boarding school. He would return home once his program was finished, but we were forced to return him to the therapeutic boarding school when he relapsed and started down a destructive path again. This happened to us twice.

My son is still dealing with his demons and we have been estranged for almost 3 years... or since he graduated from the therapeutic school.

My son's family is waiting for him to mature. We're waiting for him to regain our trust.

But, it has been the hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life.

I feel like I know Teddy's story... without knowing his story. I have my own Teddy...

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the response!

I don't know Teddy's personal story, and on the 247 WVU message board, I have spent the past couple of days giving my thoughts about Teddy... his handling at WVU by the coaching staff. Even today, I'm coming under attack for supporting Teddy there. But, it's OK... most people are in the dark about schools like Boys Town.

My oldest son will be turning 21 in July. He has a number of different issues... anxiety, oppositional defiant disorder, bipolar disorder, and ADHD. When he turned 14, his choices started affecting his safety and the safety of my other two kids as well as my wife and me. We struggled with what to do, but we ended up having him transported to a therapeutic boarding school. He would return home once his program was finished, but we were forced to return him to the therapeutic boarding school when he relapsed and started down a destructive path again. This happened to us twice.

My son is still dealing with his demons and we have been estranged for almost 3 years... or since he graduated from the therapeutic school.

My son's family is waiting for him to mature. We're waiting for him to regain our trust.

I feel like I know Teddy's story... without knowing his story. I have my own Teddy...

There are a lot of us who have similar histories. I was just a bad kid in the 70's with a shitty home life. We are all similar, but unique. Teddy, me, and the thousands of others who have passed through Boys Town, share one commonality. We all call it home. Maybe not right after leaving. But after a few years you realize where you would probably be without Boys Town. I would likely be in prison or dead. It's really quite humbling.
In time, your son will know where home is. Then he, like me, will wish he had made more of his time while he was there.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomhusker & bb - thanks for sharing.

The choices you two had to make are/were difficult. My youngest is a quiet kid and used to go from 0 - 60 when he would get mad. We felt part of it was attributed to when I decided to take a job in Tennessee back in 2007 and he thought me and wifey were going to divorce. It got to the point that my wife asked me to take him to live with me around mid-2009 because she could not handle him. His demeanor changed when he lived with me and we had a good time living togetherr for 2.5 years. I gave him his freedom, but he knew the boundaries.
My wife had a mini stroke in late 2010 and I was fortunate enough to move back to the area while working for the same company but in a different position. My youngest would trend back and forth with his anger when we moved back but would calm down whenever he and I would talk. My wife was worried and thought he should go to counseling or get medication. Of course, my dumb ass was in denial that it could be possible that one of my kids needed this type of help. Luckily, he spoke to our Primary Care about his inability to concentrate in and out of classes at WVU. The PC placed him on a prescription that has him focused and lined out. He made the Deans List at WVU this semester which he was really excited about and so are his parents.
When my youngest moved in with me, I made it a point to tell him that I loved him no matter where we were. I still do it today whether it has been after spending a day with him in Morgantown or after a quick phone call. I want him to know that he can always talk to me no matter the situation but I think part of it is the guilt I feel that I didn’t listen to my wife earlier. I’m just glad he was smart enough to realize he needed something and opened up about it.
I respect the both of you for the journey and decisions you made for yourself and family.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomhusker & bb - thanks for sharing.

The choices you two had to make are/were difficult. My youngest is a quiet kid and used to go from 0 - 60 when he would get mad. We felt part of it was attributed to when I decided to take a job in Tennessee back in 2007 and he thought me and wifey were going to divorce. It got to the point that my wife asked me to take him to live with me around mid-2009 because she could not handle him. His demeanor changed when he lived with me and we had a good time living togetherr for 2.5 years. I gave him his freedom, but he knew the boundaries.
My wife had a mini stroke in late 2010 and I was fortunate enough to move back to the area while working for the same company but in a different position. My youngest would trend back and forth with his anger when we moved back but would calm down whenever he and I would talk. My wife was worried and thought he should go to counseling or get medication. Of course, my dumb ass was in denial that it could be possible that one of my kids needed this type of help. Luckily, he spoke to our Primary Care about his inability to concentrate in and out of classes at WVU. The PC placed him on a prescription that has him focused and lined out. He made the Deans List at WVU this semester which he was really excited about and so are his parents.
When my youngest moved in with me, I made it a point to tell him that I loved him no matter where we were. I still do it today whether it has been after spending a day with him in Morgantown or after a quick phone call. I want him to know that he can always talk to me no matter the situation but I think part of it is the guilt I feel that I didn’t listen to my wife earlier. I’m just glad he was smart enough to realize he needed something and opened up about it.
I respect the both of you for the journey and decisions you made for yourself and family.

You, sir, are parenting the right way. It's takes a special person to do it that way. Your son is lucky to have you.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You, sir, are parenting the right way. It's takes a special person to do it that way. Your son is lucky to have you.
I greatly appreciate that. Don’t beat yourself up. Hindsight is 20/20 and we all have something we wish we could go back and change. I always told my kids that when they were born nobody handed your mother and me a how to rear your child instruction manual, we did what we thought was right at that time and we are not perfect. All of their friends say they are spoiled. Of course they don’t think so. Keep it going on.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of us who have similar histories. I was just a bad kid in the 70's with a shitty home life. We are all similar, but unique. Teddy, me, and the thousands of others who have passed through Boys Town, share one commonality. We all call it home. Maybe not right after leaving. But after a few years you realize where you would probably be without Boys Town. I would likely be in prison or dead. It's really quite humbling.
In time, your son will know where home is. Then he, like me, will wish he had made more of his time while he was there.

Tom, I can’t thank you enough for coming back and sharing your story here!

I’m glad you survived to make it to the other side!

You sir... are a success story! In every way...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got to feel for Teddy. I loved watching him play and hated seeing him relegated to the bench for a long strech last season. Some kids have a hard time with the tough love that Huggs gives his players. I hope he turns it around and has success like you guys have.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the news last night and during the sports segment they reported on the Nebraska - Penn State basketball game. Teddy Allen was mentioned which drew my curiosity. I Googled Teddy and saw this article -
Abuse and anger derailed Teddy Allen’s life. Now he seeks redemption with the Huskers
Great article. Many of us who have traveled that road have to constantly maintain control of the demons we acquired in our youth. Every day something happens in my life to remind me of the dark places I came from.

I've been married 38 years. I'm not sure if my wife would stick around if she knew who I was in my youth.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the response!

Its why now as I have watched kids grow up and have seen some crazy stuff I give these STUDENT ATHLETES a break when things don't go well in a game...unless they are totally inept like DOEGE! LOL!....Living the last year and watching my daughter struggle with virtual classrooms and a couple of her friends being hospitalized for sitting at home cutting themselves...its changed my perspective on what's really important.. We have high expectations of the kids that put on the Blue and Gold...and sometimes we loose sight that it is what it is...WV has NEVER WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in a MAJOR sport..and I am guessing after 100 plus years of history...they will likely NEVER win a National Championship. But they will will meaningful games..as they always have...so when I sit in the stands now...and my best friends sit and bitch about play ...which fans do...I remind us all they are 18 and 19 year old kids...and for me what are they going through on and off the field...think about other players they have had and their upbringing that they can never let go....PacMan Jones is an example...he's in jail again!...Be interesting to know what schools do to support these kids....if they do nothing...they should think about starting to do something...getting therapy maybe the best gift their scholarship provides them..