• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tebow Time

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when you thought the quarterback circus wasn't coming to an end, here comes this nugget from ESPN's Adam Schefter: The 49ers are one of three teams - along with Green Bay and Jacksonville - to watch when it comes to a trade for Tim Tebow.

And if your antenna's not raised by that, it should be. It sounds as if the 49ers are tightening the screws even more on Alex Smith, the Urban Meyer-coached quarterback they want to re-sign. Jim Harbaugh spent an hour or so with Smith on Monday in an effort to get him to sign the three-year, $24 million deal (with $10 million guaranteed) that is on the table.

Tebow to the 49ers doesn't make sense strategically. The 49ers brought in downfield receiving threats Randy Moss and Mario Manningham last week, but Tebow is not a downfield quarterback. He'd make a great short-yardage or Wildcat option in their offense. But the 49ers might have an even better one in Colin Kaepernick, whom they are grooming to take over at some point.

Tebow and Smith also are represented by the same agency, CAA. So as was the case in the Peyton Manning saga, you have a situation where a scenario that's good for one client is bad for the other one. Schefter obviously has ties to CAA, as shown by his and Chris Mortensen's reporting on the Manning story. Manning also is represented by CAA.

The 49ers' obvious contention in all this is that they've made a nice offer to Smith and he has nowhere else to go. And on the latter point, they're right. But what has bothered Smith throughout the ordeal is their lack of loyalty to him. After all, he organized and led the players through lockout workouts and practices last year when he didn't even have a contract. Then he started all 18 games on a team that went to overtime in the NFC Championship game. Smith likely feels the commitment he's shown the team is not being reciprocated.

-- Matt Barrows

Read more here: Sacramento Bee -- 49ers Blog and Q&A

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record I would bring him in as a backup to see if he could be developed for the future BUT he would need to change his contract because the last two years are pretty big on his current deal. I think Harbs could run SOME packages for him immediately. I wouldn't advocate him starting next season. Now go shit the bed fellas.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tebow to the 49ers doesn't make sense strategically. The 49ers brought in downfield receiving threats Randy Moss and Mario Manningham last week, but Tebow is not a downfield quarterback. He'd make a great short-yardage or Wildcat option in their offense. But the 49ers might have an even better one in Colin Kaepernick, whom they are grooming to take over at some point.

Read more here: Sacramento Bee -- 49ers Blog and Q&A

That part I strongly agree with. This guy is his own oline when it comes to shotyardage situations in the "redzone". I trade our 7th round pick and a cheese burger for Tebow, only under the condition he would accept his role as our 3rd string QB behind Kaepernick, and Scott Tolzien. Seriously though, Tebow is more of a threat as a runner in goaline situation than our all pro Gore. Tebow is a true beast when it comes to that particular role.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record I would bring him in as a backup to see if he could be developed for the future BUT he would need to change his contract because the last two years are pretty big on his current deal. I think Harbs could run SOME packages for him immediately. I wouldn't advocate him starting next season. Now go shit the bed fellas.

I wouldn't mind him as a backup and sub-package guy. He'd be a big hit with the castro community of SF too. I could easily picture some large jockey billboards in that area.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That part I strongly agree with. This guy is his own oline when it comes to shotyardage situations in the "redzone". I trade our 7th round pick and a cheese burger for Tebow, only under the condition he would accept his role as our 3rd string QB behind Kaepernick, and Scott Tolzien. Seriously though, Tebow is more of a threat as a runner in goaline situation than our all pro Gore. Tebow is a true beast when it comes to that particular role.

Plus he always has the option of throwing on those plays as well. I'm sure he can chuck it better than Gore lol.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

As a passer, I'm 95% sure that his skills will not surpass Alex Smith's. So I wouldn't have any hope with Tebow at all. Again, I'd take him only if he accepts his role as 3rd string QB.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

our all pro has been at it for years, don't even start this sh1t...That's very disrespectful of what Gore has done on this team...

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tebow buzz continues
10:33 AM ET
Tim Tebow | Broncos | Interested: Packers?, 49ers?, Browns?, Eagles?, Patriots?, Dolphins?, Jaguars?, Bills?

UPDATE: In an effort to break Twitter, ESPN NFL Insider sent the following tweet on Tuesday morning:

"Three teams to monitor as trade talks for Tim Tebow pick up: Jacksonville, Green Bay, San Francisco."

Again, Green Bay does not seem to be a club likely to give up draft pick compensation for Tebow, but if the Broncos do release him, there's an argument to be made that he'd be worth a shot. It may not come to a release, of course, since it only takes one team to fall in love with the idea to make a trade happen.

---

During an appearance on "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on ESPN Radio on Tuesday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen discussed some potential destinations for Tebow, including one that was a bit of a shocker: the Green Bay Packers.

Mort's argument -- and it seems to be more speculative than a report that the Pack are actually interested -- is that Green Bay takes pride in their ability to develop QBs and would be able to have the patience to take a long-term approach with Tebow, given Aaron Rodgers' presence. Again, we can't rule anyone entirely out but this would be a bit of a surprise.

---

ESPN NFL Draft guru Mel Kiper, Jr. checked in with his thoughts on five potential destinations for Tebow, and he says that we can't rule out the Jags (see the bottom of the post for Kiper's take).

Meanwhile, Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders isn't exactly sold on the idea of a reunion with Josh McDaniels: "I think the Tebow to Pats idea is silliness. They have 2 backup QBs, and do you really ever want to take Brady off the field to run Wildcat?"

As for the NFC East, our resident blogger covering that division, Dan Graziano, does not like any of those four teams in the Tebow sweepstakes (his thoughts are at the bottom of the post as well).

---

Just before noon EST on Monday, news of Peyton Manning's decision on his next NFL destination spread across the world like a wild stallion charging over the plains: he's heading to the Denver Broncos, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter. And with Peyton in, it appears that Tim Tebow has been put on the trading block.

The immediate reaction -- and in fact, our reasoning in posts considering Tebow's future if the Broncos signed Manning -- is that the Jacksonville Jaguars are the most logical fit: Tebow's roots in North Florida in addition to the Jags' issues both at QB and in selling tickets seem to be a perfect storm. Recently, the Jags' potential interest in acquiring Tebow has been downplayed, but now that he's actually available, thoughts on the subject could change.

There has been a flurry of other speculation since news of Tebow being on the block hit the airwaves, and one team whose name keeps coming up is the Miami Dolphins. It was, after all, against those Dolphins that Tebow's legend was amplified -- and on a day when Tebow and his national champion Florida Gators were honored by the club at halftime, no less. After missing on Manning, a trade for the No. 2 pick (and Robert Griffin III), Matt Flynn and (possibly) Alex Smith, might Tebow be the thing to turn the franchise back in the right direction this offseason? Again, can't rule it out.

The other line of thinking if Tebow is on the block is that teams who were interested in him prior to the 2010 draft may still have some thoughts on acquiring him, to use not as their starting QB but in other packages (and possibly a different position). Teams in that boat include the Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles.

The Broncos have certainly considered what they'd do if they got Manning, and may have even tested the market a bit by gauging interest from other teams on Tebow in the event that they became Peyton's new home. Things could move quickly here in the next few days.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mel Kiper, Jr.
Jacksonville has to stay on the list

"Until the Jaguars come out and say they have no interest whatsoever, there's no reason not to speculate that they wouldn't. The current personnel situation makes this an entirely unappealing place to develop a passer, but this isn't your typical passer."

Dan Graziano
No, your team should not trade for Tebow

"Remember this about Tebow: His success as a Bronco came after the team decided to completely structure its offense around him, accentuating his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses (i.e., actually throwing the ball). The Broncos had no established receivers that were gong to kick about such a decision, a veteran running back who was totally on board and a flexible, open-minded coach who was willing to consider an outside-the-box option as possibly better than the offense he preferred to run. There isn't a team in the NFC East that remotely fits that description."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no way this is anything but a ploy to put pressure on Alex. Tebow? I'd rather draft Kellen Moore

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh god no thank you

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
our all pro has been at it for years, don't even start this sh1t...That's very disrespectful of what Gore has done on this team...

What has Gore done for us lately, in the "redzone" in particular?! I don't think I'm disrespecting him. I'm just stating facts. Gore was bad in the redzone, Alex was atrocious in the red zone, and our line was horrible in the redzone IMO.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire Tebow's grit and toughness but I want no part of him as my quarterback.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't anyone is advocating on bringing on Tebow as our QB, not even our second string. Let alone as our starter.

I know just stating my dislike for him as a player.

But if we really are interested in him,i would think Smith would be gone therefore letting Teow battle it out with Kap and Tolzien.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I say this with 100% seriousness..... if the 49ers sign Tim Tebow I will not watch a game this year.

LOL. I feel you bro!

But first of all he's not even in the market. So the chances of him really playing for us is 0 to slim. Even if he miraculously ends up in our roster somehow, he wouldn't be able to beat Colin or Scott for their respective jobs. Tebow would be a "redzone" weapon. That's all!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Lord say it aint so

I'm not the Lord, but I'll go ahead and say it: It aint so - not as a QB anyway. As an H-Back - possibly. Schefter is just being a good shepherd and getting his flock to "tune in".