• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Swane Casey

Marco Doubypops

Road Commentary Specalist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smart move by BC, or bandwagon hiring?

He says he'll be a "hands-on control freak" on the defensive end. I don't know about his offensive style with this team. He says he'll let them create. But Andrea needs a system, DD and Weems can't operate half-court. And though Jose is very trustworthy with the ball and won't make too many boneheaded moves; he won't get much done on his own. And Blayless is usually out of control jumping into the 5th row. Eddie D needs some structure around his offensive game as well.

It's not necessarily the entire offense that will suffer. Our fast-break is getting better by the year, but we have too many guys that would run around like chickens with their heads cut off if the coach took a hands-off approach.

Either we need a Steve Nash, Adolf Hitler, Deron Williams-style point guard or we need a full out NFL offensive playbook in order for this style to succeed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We're gonna have to instill some sort of a system sooner or later. We can't have our team keep running like last season when we would score a great basket on one end, but just give up the points right back because we're so fucking rubbish on D. That's just demoralizing and won't get us anywhere.

This is the best time to bring someone in when no one on our roster is untouchable or is even near the level of developing a big ego. Hopefully, we can find a system that works for guys like Brozan and Poon Machine. Having said that, a lot of analysts out there are not very optimistic about our chances. Our players have to learn how to play D or else, it's time to start trading or finding players who can play D. Oh, the joys of rebuilding

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
heard the guy on mccowan today, did not like what i heard. seems to be in the mindset of bc and thinks bargnani is a star. the real thing that pissed me off was when bob asked him who the core pieces were and he didnt even mention ed davis who cleary is going to be the most dominant player on the team next season if he gets the minutes.
ed davis is fucking business, wayne better recognize and give davis the minutes

and another thing, bc a while back on the same show said they were looking to replace jay with somebody with expeirence, somebody with a proven track record. well what the fuck does being is being an assistant on a rigged championship run mean for track record? he's an assistant for chriest sakes and most likely had nothing to do with the mavs success just ridding carlisle nutsack. fuck he better play davis

i'm with kds, we should have gave mitchell another chance

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more optimistic than you guys.

Just because we have a team full of guys that don't know how to play defence, doesn't mean we shouldn't bring in a guy with defensive focus. How do you think guys become good defenders? This guy designed and implemented a defence that had a player like bargs defensively (dirk) and turned it into a solid defence. What other coaches have that experience? Defence is 80% hard work, thats why Scott Skiles and Tom Thibodeau can go into some place like Milwaukee and Chicago, and have them become one of the best defensive teams in the league.

I don't think we'll be a top defensive team, but even bumping up to an average defensive team would be huge. We were historically bad last season.

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also this idea that jay Triano made us a good offensive team is just nonsense. We were 20th in offensive efficiency last season, and the worst 3PT shooting team in the league.

The Toronto part of this article describes it nicely.

Grantland's First Annual NBA Draft Lottery Preview - Grantland

I'm afraid we're going to have a ton of games in the 80s this season. Lots of fun.

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also this idea that jay Triano made us a good offensive team is just nonsense. We were 20th in offensive efficiency last season, and the worst 3PT shooting team in the league.

The Toronto part of this article describes it nicely.

Grantland's First Annual NBA Draft Lottery Preview - Grantland

I'm afraid we're going to have a ton of games in the 80s this season. Lots of fun.

heres the thing though, what is casey going to teach this team that pj couldnt last year or ivaroni the year before? bargnani doesn't rebound(not eeven like dirk) and nothing will change that but bargnani, calderon doesn't move his feet well and nothing will change that period. Ed davis is ganster on the court but casey hasnt even mentioned him. Guess he deserves a shot before i write him off but the fact that he lables bargnani the teams star suggests to me that we've got more of the same coming, a go to guy thats not held accountable while casey and bc will keep hoping he turns into dirk

best way to improve defense, bargnani off the bench as the leading sixth man scorer of all time but because of dirks influence on casey i suspect we'll see the defensive weapon ed davis riding too much pine and the same old

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heres the thing though, what is casey going to teach this team that pj couldnt last year or ivaroni the year before? bargnani doesn't rebound(not eeven like dirk) and nothing will change that but bargnani, calderon doesn't move his feet well and nothing will change that period. Ed davis is ganster on the court but casey hasnt even mentioned him. Guess he deserves a shot before i write him off but the fact that he lables bargnani the teams star suggests to me that we've got more of the same coming, a go to guy thats not held accountable while casey and bc will keep hoping he turns into dirk

best way to improve defense, bargnani off the bench as the leading sixth man scorer of all time but because of dirks influence on casey i suspect we'll see the defensive weapon ed davis riding too much pine and the same old

I don't think its a matter of teaching, but motivating. Granted, if Bargnani isnt already motivated its not like Casey is going to do anything more.

But two things from Casey's press conference made me optimistic.

1) He said the only thing that he can control is playing time. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Bargnani riding the bench if he isn't playing up to snuff defensively.

2) The only player at the presser was Derozan, and Casey and Derozan already have a strong relationship (apparently they've worked together every summer since DD was at USC). I think the team is slowly moving to becoming Demar's team, where Demar will be the go to guy, and Bargnani a more secondary guy.

But if Bargnani is still a black hole defensively for the first 20 games of the season, and he hasn't been benched, had his minutes reduced, or been taken to town in any way I take it all back, and Casey is clearly a BC puppet who is just to be here to give the appearance of trying to improve defensively without actually doing so.

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think its a matter of teaching, but motivating. Granted, if Bargnani isnt already motivated its not like Casey is going to do anything more.

But two things from Casey's press conference made me optimistic.

1) He said the only thing that he can control is playing time. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Bargnani riding the bench if he isn't playing up to snuff defensively.

2) The only player at the presser was Derozan, and Casey and Derozan already have a strong relationship (apparently they've worked together every summer since DD was at USC). I think the team is slowly moving to becoming Demar's team, where Demar will be the go to guy, and Bargnani a more secondary guy.

But if Bargnani is still a black hole defensively for the first 20 games of the season, and he hasn't been benched, had his minutes reduced, or been taken to town in any way I take it all back, and Casey is clearly a BC puppet who is just to be here to give the appearance of trying to improve defensively without actually doing so.

didnt see the press conference, good points. i got to wonder is casey a hard ass or do we even know this cause he was an assistant?
one thing i would hope is that he's crazy like kevin oneal,the deranged serial killer type. i really know nothing about casey as a coach asside from interviews

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt see the press conference, good points. i got to wonder is casey a hard ass or do we even know this cause he was an assistant?
one thing i would hope is that he's crazy like kevin oneal,the deranged serial killer type. i really know nothing about casey as a coach asside from interviews

uh, i think he's in the same class as kevin o'neill. i believe he used the words "control freak" to describe how he coaches defensively, and he was pretty intense apparently when he was head coach of minnesota.

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
uh, i think he's in the same class as kevin o'neill. i believe he used the words "control freak" to describe how he coaches defensively, and he was pretty intense apparently when he was head coach of minnesota.

well if thats truely the case i hope colangelo is ready for it specially with his rep even more on the line. maybe casey wont be so bad afterall

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnny Davis linked to Raptors (toronto sun)

TORONTO - History suggests the guy new Raptors head coach Dwane Casey has in mind to lead his staff is Johnny Davis, one of Casey’s closest friends who has spent close to four decades involved in the NBA.

It’s not known when Davis’ deal with the Memphis Grizzlies expires, but typically late June is the date most assistants under contract are either extended or told to look for another job.

Davis and Memphis head coach Lionel Hollins are former teammates in Portland, but Davis’ bond with Casey may lead him to Toronto.

When Casey was named head coach in Minnesota six years ago, he immediately turned to Davis a month after Davis was relieved of his head coaching duties in Orlando, where he replaced Doc Rivers.

Whether it was as a player, serving as a head coach first in Philadelphia or in various roles, Davis, should he rejoin Casey, will give Toronto’s newest head coach a much-needed ally and an experienced set of eyes.

When he was introduced earlier this week, Casey was given complete authority to hire whomever he saw fit, but he did what all incoming coaches do by saying he’d sit down with the current assistants.

Only one Raptors assistant, P.J. Carlesimo, is under contract for next season.

It’ll be interesting to see what the future holds for Carlesimo, whom many viewed as the head coach in waiting if Jay Triano were released.

Of course, Triano’s contract for next season was not extended and it’s not clear whether Carlesimo was even considered.

Ironically, Triano and Hollins are friends dating back to their time in Vancouver.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Raptors Finalize Coaching Staff
Jun 29, 2011 12:36 AM EDT

Dwane Casey and the Raptors completed their staff on Tuesday by adding two coaches and retaining three others.

Johnny Davis was hired to be the lead assistant, and Tom Sterner joins the Raptors after stints with the Sixers, Warriors, Magic and Mavericks.

Scott Roth, Eric Hughes and Micah Nori will remain as holdovers from Jay Triano‘s staff.

Read more: Raptors Finalize Coaching Staff - RealGM Wiretap

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Raptors Finalize Coaching Staff
Jun 29, 2011 12:36 AM EDT

Dwane Casey and the Raptors completed their staff on Tuesday by adding two coaches and retaining three others.

Johnny Davis was hired to be the lead assistant, and Tom Sterner joins the Raptors after stints with the Sixers, Warriors, Magic and Mavericks.

Scott Roth, Eric Hughes and Micah Nori will remain as holdovers from Jay Triano‘s staff.

Read more: Raptors Finalize Coaching Staff - RealGM Wiretap

a little suprising he kept those scrub coaches. I wonder if pj refused to assist a black coach? he's pretty old school, everyone was racist back in his day