• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SUV Choice

Type of SUV??

• 4-Runner

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Rogue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Explorer

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Audi Q7

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Traverse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CR V

• Other

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Pathfinder

• Total voters

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always owned a sports sedan along with an suv or truck (73 ford f100, 74 bronco, 84 Toyota pickup SR5, 88 Motero, 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee) and now own a 2007 ford freestyle limited. I keep the cars about 10 years and then buy in cash ...

I’m way overdue on the freestyle but I haven’t been able to pull the trigger on it’s replacement ... cuz I can’t find one

Volvo engine, CVT (I really like it), huge interior, bucket second row seats w/console, rides lo but never came close to getting stuck in the snow

I’m looking at Volkswagen Atlas, Subaru Assent, Ford Explorer, and GMC Acadia ...

the old ford got just 145,000 on it
still shoppin ...

I'm buying a new car soon ish. Sokd off my old car and my parents gave me their old minivan because it literally wasnt woryh anything in trade. I'm driving that until it dies or snow starts. But I will need a new car the moment either happens.

I have 3 teenage kids, and live 2 hours away from them/their mother so need at least a big 5 seater or a 3 row.

SUV's I've tested out and ruled out.

Ford Edge. The base model engine is crap, the top of the line EcoBoost turbo engine is nice, but the interior is not competitive at that price.

Ford Explorer. Truck based SUV and drives more like a truck than a car. My least favorite on the whole list, but truck guys might like it best.

Chevrolet Traverse/ GMC Acadia - Feels bigger than it is when driving. And it's already big. Feels cheap and like you could break things like door handles and turn signals and stuff. Not bad if it was 5-10k cheaper than competitors, but it's the same price or more than most, and just felt like you can do better.

Acura MDX - Very nice, and holds value very well, but an obvious step up in price that I couldn't justify.

Honda Pilot - Same company but doesnt feel even slightly related to the MDX. Nothing stood out as wrong with it. But nothing stood out as right with it either. It's fine.

This past weekend I just went out back to back to back to check out my 3 favorites and get it right in my head. Brought my brother along so I could talk out my thought process and see if that would help me decide. This is what we both agreed upon.

Subaru Ascent - Definitely the car we would want in a blizzard (which happens here and is part of my decision process) subbies are known to be the safest cars on the road. It was fast enough, comfortable enough, big enough and everything. It was something we both agreed we would buy in a heartbeat if a good deal came and would be completely ok owning it. But not something we would volunteer to car pool with or something just to show everyone. Again it's fine, but not special. Except that the Subaru name plate does make it a little more special.

Maxda CX-9 - My brother and I are completely different body types. I'm tall and fat, hes less than half my weight and I think hes under 5'8. We both agreed the Mazda was the mist comfortable just to sit in. Would be great for long drives. And its without a doubt the best driving suv on the whole list. Drives like a sedan, maybe even a sports sedan. But it's a full 3 row crossover. If that wasn't already enough it just feels nicer inside than anything besides the Acura. It's still plastics and the same stuff everyone else uses, it just feels nicer. Plenty of back seat room, but a small third row and the rear cargo area is the smallest with all seats up. We both loved this car.

Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride - went to test drive the Kia but they're literally all sold out and backorder only. Same dealership also had Hyundais, so we took that out without knowing anything about it. Turns out they're almost exactly the same, just different exteriors and package levels. The Hyundai is actually slightly cheaper. They styled the Telluride as more of a Jeep competitor and focused on outdoorsy styling and offloading. Tge Palisade went more for upscale urban SUV for those who will never go 2 tracking, And they fucking nailed it! It wasn't as exciting to drive as the Mazda, but it was actually faster. Suspension felt softer, but itbhandlec corners just as well, even thrashing a test drive AWD suv through some drifting power slides. And it had BY FAR the best technology and nicest interior on the whole list. Better interior than the Acura. Nothing else i sat in was close to as nice as this Hyundai.

Final thoughts. I like the Subaru, but the Mazda is clearly the best family full size SUV. And only because despite being the family price range, the Hyundai is clearly competing in the luxury segment against things like Acura, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bronco6g-fordbronco-rear6-1499778889.jpg

And I am 99%, chevy man. I love mustangs and Broncos though.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New-2019-Toyota-Tacoma-TRDSport-ID2389560999-aHR0cHM6Ly9jb250ZW50LmhvbWVuZXRpb2wuY29tLzIwMDEzNTkvMjEwMjE5My8xMjYyZjAxYTU1NmY0NTEwODNiYjQxZjZlYzAzZjUxZi5qcGc=

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here’s my problem: I’m trying to replace this
2007_ford_freestyle_wagon_limited_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

... the last full-size ford wagon made ... a car that could do more than the Amtrak-front -design truck above (tell me it don’t look pretty)

12 years old, maintained, 145,000 miles, no rust, everything works but the heated seats ... I think I’ll keep one more winter ... damn

BostonBlackie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my problem: I’m trying to replace this
2007_ford_freestyle_wagon_limited_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

... the last full-size ford wagon made ... a car that could do more than the Amtrak-front -design truck above (tell me it don’t look pretty)

12 years old, maintained, 145,000 miles, no rust, everything works but the heated seats ... I think I’ll keep one more winter ... damn

I love seeing well kept older cars. Good job.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you looked at Highlanders ?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just bought the Hyunsai Palisade. It made the most sense to me.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the 2020 Ford Baby Bronco?

Leaked photo of Baby Bronco:
2020 Baby Bronco.JPG

Seems to jive with the photos seen under camo:
Baby Bronco Camo.JPG

And looks just like a 2010 Ford Escape:
ford_escape_2010.jpg

This what we've been waiting all these years for?

source.gif