• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suns sign Isaiah Thomas

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we have three PGs that all avg over 16 ppg... Wtf

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called "we wanna score, try to keep up with us". Hopefully this contract is front loaded like PJ's & the 4th year money is non guaranteed as well. That will keep his cost low after this season.

This should keep DragonBlade from playing too many minutes like last season while also having the ability to keep their foot on the petal when Dragic and/or Bledsoe are off the floor.

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get it to work. It's just a sentenced quote about it. He doesn't elaborate on his quote.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get it to work. It's just a sentenced quote about it. He doesn't elaborate on his quote.

Oh, that explains why I couldn't find an article on it when I tried to search for that headline.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good value. He put up 20-6 with better shooting numbers than Kyrie Irving and gets 3x less per year.... just remember how mediocre we were when Bledsoe was out. This is a simple insurance signing because there weren't many options at positions of need so we're stacking up the assets.

I wouldn't be surprised if a trade is made soon.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that Thomas can score & get to the rim. Options at a good aav price is what this is.

UA_Stapler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad signing.....as long as a trade to bring another wing or talented big-guy who can run the floor is in the offing.

There has to be a trade coming, why would Thomas want to sign here and play behind Dragic and Bledsoe from the bench. If there isn't a trade, I will be super pissed off...then root for us to win 48 games again!

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns need a dynamic point guard on the floor at all times if they want to be successful using their system. This move allows them to do that. I like it, lets see if it leads to a big trade.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns got great value for a player that averaged 20 points and over 6 assists per game last year. They only end up giving Alex Oriaki and a trade exception in the sign and trade. McDonough loves picking up undervalued assets.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Phoenix keeps all three, we could see a three-guard rotation (and some three-guard lineups) reminiscent of Detroit's Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, and Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson when the Pistons won consecutive championships in 1989 and 1990 (and reached three straight NBA Finals from 1988-1990 and five straight Eastern Conference Finals from 1987-1991). Obviously, Dragic, Bledsoe, and Isaiah Thomas do not figure to be on the same level as those guys, but the game (with the rules and spacing these days) is made for these types of players and lineups in a way that was not the case back then. In both cases, we're talking about three interchangeable ball-handlers who can attack the defense, shoot off the dribble, and run off down-screens.

And the presence of Thomas also frees Phoenix up to be more flexible in terms of the futures of Bledsoe and Dragic. The Suns now enjoy greater leverage and more options. The roster is overloaded with point guards, shooting guards, combo guards, small forwards, swingmen, whatever, meaning that another shoe could certainly drop, now or a year from now. Either Bledsoe or Dragic could be more expendable, or youngsters such as Ennis and Goodwin could be more expendable.

Last edited by a moderator: