• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Studs & Duds

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From BearsWire:

Studs and duds from Bears' Week 2 win over Broncos

I agree with each assessment. One question tho on Kyle Fuller's INT...did anyone else think that he never went completely down after grabbing the INT? I didn't keep the recording, so I can't go back to check it out again. But at that point they showed his stab several times with at least a couple of angles. I don't think he ever fully went down nor did he step out of bounds. Of course it never mattered being the refs blew the whistle. If anyone still has the game on his DVR, perhaps you can check that out and confirm this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His knee touched for sure. He slipped.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense only allowed 13 points but they let the Broncos move the ball pretty well all day long. We might put Pagano down as a dud. If Fuller doesn't come up with that pick, we're losers of that game.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense only allowed 13 points but they let the Broncos move the ball pretty well all day long. We might put Pagano down as a dud. If Fuller doesn't come up with that pick, we're losers of that game.
It was a great gameplan by Fangio. The ONLY way to beat a great pass-rush that also happens to be great against the run, is quick passes.

Our D needs to adjust. Front 4 needs to get their hands up, and our DBs need to jump a few routes to temper that shit.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be fair to say that our receiving talent isn't as good as it's been made out to be. We made such a huge jump last year because how can you not when your offensive talent was THAT bad?

Allen Robinson is playing like a true #1, but outside of him, what do you really have?
  • Anthony Miller. A second round pick who showed flashes but has been invisible the first two games and has been battling injuries. He might be/turn into just a guy.
  • Taylor Gabriel. Speed demon but the Falcons weren't all that said to see him go, and now they have Calvin Ridley who's drastically outperformed what Gabriel did in Atlanta.
  • Trey Burton. Was a backup to a really good TE in Philly but has battled injuries as well and doesn't appear to be anything more than a solid receiving tight end but nothing in the league of a George Kittle (for example).
  • Cordarrelle Patterson. Is basically a failed wide receiver who we brought in to be a special teams ace first and foremost but he's not going to scare you running routes.
  • Javon Wims. Might be pretty good, we just don't know.
Not that this is making excuses for Trubisky but this is certainly going to be a limiting factor for us. We know what Gabriel is, so IMO, we need Miller or Burton to step up in a big way if this offense is going to be anything more than barely good enough to win games on the back of a stellar defense.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great gameplan by Fangio. The ONLY way to beat a great pass-rush that also happens to be great against the run, is quick passes.

Our D needs to adjust. Front 4 needs to get their hands up, and our DBs need to jump a few routes to temper that shit.
I think the D played admirably. For much of the game they clearly dominated Denver's offense. But that thin mountain air finally got to them and it wasn't helped by the fact that our offense could barely sustain any drives, save the one that led to our only TD. It was obvious by the 4th quarter they were gassed. That's why I stated in another thread that it turned out to be our good fortune Denver converted the 2 pt conversion. I honestly don't think the D would have held out in OT. The Broncos would have marched down the field for an easy score.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I was expecting more, but I'm disappointed in Pagano.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why. His defense held Aaron Rodgers, who almost always torches us, to just 10 points in week one. And in yesterday's game, Denver totaled 372 yards, and while I don't have a breakdown of the numbers, I'm willing to bet that half of those, if not more, came in the 4th quarter alone, when it was painfully obvious to all those watching that the elevation had gotten to his defense - even the announcers were noting this. If our offense had done its job, the D wouldn't have been so gassed at the end. No, under the circumstances yesterday and in general to date, I think Pagano has done a fine job so far.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why.
Seem to remember at his hiring he said he was going to be aggressive. Could be wrong, but it looked like he was letting the front 4 do all the work. Not much aggressiveness until he started sending Skrine. By then Broncos were back in it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From BearsWire:

Studs and duds from Bears' Week 2 win over Broncos

I agree with each assessment. One question tho on Kyle Fuller's INT...did anyone else think that he never went completely down after grabbing the INT? I didn't keep the recording, so I can't go back to check it out again. But at that point they showed his stab several times with at least a couple of angles. I don't think he ever fully went down nor did he step out of bounds. Of course it never mattered being the refs blew the whistle. If anyone still has the game on his DVR, perhaps you can check that out and confirm this.

I can see where people would miss the knee going down, but it's pretty clear that it did. Not the first slip initially after the catch, but rather the 2nd time he goes towards the ground around the 10. His knee definitely touches for a brief moment.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seem to remember at his hiring he said he was going to be aggressive. Could be wrong, but it looked like he was letting the front 4 do all the work. Not much aggressiveness until he started sending Skrine. By then Broncos were back in it.
That might be a fair assessment, altho being aggressive just for the sake of such shouldn't be a high priority. Like I said, if you take away that 4th quarter when the D was sucking in air big time, those other 7 quarters of football so far have been as successful as any similar period of play when Fangio was our DC. Don't get me wrong, I like aggressiveness too, but I like results even more.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see where people would miss the knee going down, but it's pretty clear that it did. Not the first slip initially after the catch, but rather the 2nd time he goes towards the ground around the 10. His knee definitely touches for a brief moment.
No problem, I kinda figured it was me. I should have kept the recording to keep looking at it.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D sucking wind in the 4th is reason enough he should have mixed it up earlier IMO. Plus only 1 take-away so far. Results are good, I agree, but if the offense is gonna struggle, the D should be prepared for the long haul (more time of possession).

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D sucking wind in the 4th is reason enough he should have mixed it up earlier IMO. Plus only 1 take-away so far. Results are good, I agree, but if the offense is gonna struggle, the D should be prepared for the long haul (more time of possession).

I said it earlier and stick to it. If we can't get vertical against the Skins after seeing what the Eagles and Cowboys were able to do to them...We're in for a long low-scoring season. Monday Night I hope very,very much for some fireworks to get some kind of spark in this offense's ass.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see if he makes any adjustments for such in next Monday's game against the Skins. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? Hmm. I thought we blitzed a lot Sunday, but I don't have any numbers.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be fair to say that our receiving talent isn't as good as it's been made out to be. We made such a huge jump last year because how can you not when your offensive talent was THAT bad?

Allen Robinson is playing like a true #1, but outside of him, what do you really have?
  • Anthony Miller. A second round pick who showed flashes but has been invisible the first two games and has been battling injuries. He might be/turn into just a guy.
  • Taylor Gabriel. Speed demon but the Falcons weren't all that said to see him go, and now they have Calvin Ridley who's drastically outperformed what Gabriel did in Atlanta.
  • Trey Burton. Was a backup to a really good TE in Philly but has battled injuries as well and doesn't appear to be anything more than a solid receiving tight end but nothing in the league of a George Kittle (for example).
  • Cordarrelle Patterson. Is basically a failed wide receiver who we brought in to be a special teams ace first and foremost but he's not going to scare you running routes.
  • Javon Wims. Might be pretty good, we just don't know.
Not that this is making excuses for Trubisky but this is certainly going to be a limiting factor for us. We know what Gabriel is, so IMO, we need Miller or Burton to step up in a big way if this offense is going to be anything more than barely good enough to win games on the back of a stellar defense.

I mean, Gabriel has been pretty great in his role. Miller was really reliable last year, I thought. Proved a lot through his injury. You're also forgetting Cohen.

The weapons aren't the issue. We have more than the vast majority of teams in football.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting, considering how utterly dominant the unit has been.

I think the Bears lead the league in sacks too and pressure is Pagano's thing.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our online looked pretty awful in this game too. I’d say we should run early and often to open up the pass, but I’m not sure it would be effective. It took us 5 tries to break it into the end zone from within 5 yards and every time it looked like the online just got dominated.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our online looked pretty awful in this game too. I’d say we should run early and often to open up the pass, but I’m not sure it would be effective. It took us 5 tries to break it into the end zone from within 5 yards and every time it looked like the online just got dominated.

We did run early and often. We ran 29 times for 153 yards (5.3 YPC) and a TD. We threw the ball 27 times for 120 yards.

On top of averaging 5.3 YPC. The line did not surrender a single sack against a pass rush featuring Chubb and Miller.