• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stoops Presser 10-27-14

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU Sports: Three takeaways from Bob Stoops news conference

NORMAN — Bob Stoops met with the media on Monday afternoon to talk about preparations for Saturday’s 11 a.m. game at Iowa State.

Here are three takeaways from the 21-minute session with reporters:

1. Stoops considered bringing Mark Mangino back to his staff after his Kansas resignation

Former Oklahoma assistant coach Mark Mangino is in his first season as Iowa State’s offensive coordinator. Stoops was asked if he had any thoughts of bringing the former Kansas coach back to Norman after he left that program in 2009.

“Sure. I’m not going to detail that. Between he and I, there was a thought of it,” Stoops said.

Stoops has been impressed with Mangino, who coached at Oklahoma between 1999-2001. He spent his last two seasons as OU’s offensive coordinator.

“Coach Mangino is doing a great job there with the (Iowa State) offense,” Stoops said. “They’re a team, in their last several games, they’ve put up more points and more yards and are much more consistent in how they are playing.”

2. Keith Ford could return this week

The Oklahoma running back could return to the practice field as early as Monday, Stoops said. Ford had been missing since the Tennessee game, when he was diagnosed with a broken fibula.

Stoops said OU would go back to a three-back rotation if Ford is able to return to game form.

Ford has rushed for 194 yards in three games (averaging 5.7 yards per carry). He has five touchdown runs.

Stoops added that defensive end Charles Walker (sprained knee) is expected to return to practice as well this week.

3. The plan remains week-to-week

With two losses, the Sooners have been erased from College Football Playoff discussion. But it hasn’t given up on its chance for a share of the Big 12 championship.

“There’s always hope. Our deal is always with the conference first. Teams have won the conference with two losses,” Stoops said. “Our job is to just win this week, one at a time. Keep trying to get better and improve the situation, improve the season each week if we are able to. Who knows what will happen at the end of it?”

The Sooners are currently in sixth place in the league standings, behind first-place Kansas State and one-loss league teams West Virginia, Baylor and TCU. Oklahoma State is a half-game ahead of OU.

​Eric Bailey 918-581-8391

[email protected]

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it only respectable media outlets that get invited to Bob's press conference? Seems like I only see the same people asking questions week after week. I want to go to the presser as a representative of the Hoop. Wonder if they will let me in to ask questions? Guarantee you it wouldn't be these softballs that are thrown at Bob each week.