• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steven Stamkos

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright guys we sit just under 2 weeks till Free Agency begins and Steven Stamkos remains unsigned. I'm not surprised that he's unsigned at this point but all seems very quiet regarding the whole Stamkos situation, is that a good thing? Is that a bad thing? Or is that something not to pay any notice too? I know negations are purposely kept quiet but you might see the odd report saying talks are progressing or something like that but there's absolutely nothing. I always thought Stamkos would re-sign here but as time goes by i'm starting to get more increasingly concerned that we may have seen Stamkos for the last time in a Lightning uniform. Being from across the pond I was just wondering what is the opinion/perspective from the national/local media, community (other fans) etc. regarding the Stamkos situation, is he staying or is he going?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will stay if he cares about his legacy, he will leave if he cares more about money. Chances are that he'll leave because most people care about money more than anything else. If he stays, he'll certainly gain a lot of respect points from me. Either way, Lightning will be fine, they got a lot of youth, depth, & speed (not to mention a lot of playoff experience).

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect him to end up in Toronto.

As far as Tampa goes without him. It would suck to lose your best player, but the Ligntning just made the ECF without Stamkos. They have proven that they can win without Stamkos. So spend the money elsewhere in FA nd bring in some more depth.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect him to end up in Toronto.

As far as Tampa goes without him. It would suck to lose your best player, but the Ligntning just made the ECF without Stamkos. They have proven that they can win without Stamkos. So spend the money elsewhere in FA nd bring in some more depth.
Toronto would be a terrible place to go, obxy, ask Phil Kessel, Dave Andreychuk, Lanny MacDonald, etc.. If the Red Wings could dump Datsyuk's contract for next season, I expect Stamkos to go there, if he leaves Tampa that is.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto would be a terrible place to go, obxy, ask Phil Kessel, Dave Andreychuk, Lanny MacDonald, etc.. If the Red Wings could dump Datsyuk's contract for next season, I expect Stamkos to go there, if he leaves Tampa that is.

Toronto was dumping contracts last year. I expect that they were doing it to have however much money they need for Stamkos this off season. They will overpay him and outbid everyone else on his contract.

Detroit, I never thought about. Illitch has won in hockey and is still trying to win in baseball, but if his GM can bring Stamkos to Detroit Illitch would have no problem paying him.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto was dumping contracts last year. I expect that they were doing it to have however much money they need for Stamkos this off season. They will overpay him and outbid everyone else on his contract.

Detroit, I never thought about. Illitch has won in hockey and is still trying to win in baseball, but if his GM can bring Stamkos to Detroit Illitch would have no problem paying him.
Yeah, I didn't think about Detroit until I read this on Puck Daddy...
Pavel Datsyuk out, Steven Stamkos in for Red Wings?
They say the other team that's in position to make a move for Stamkos is Buffalo, so the top 3 teams in the bidding war are...
-Toronto Maple Leafs
-Detroit Red Wings
-Buffalo Sabres
If I had to play for any of those 3 teams, I would for sure play for the Red Wings.

That being said, it would be best for his legacy if he stays put in Tampa IMO.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what have read on the internet the sense is that both sides want to get a deal done. The opinion I get is that Stamkos wants to remain a bolt more so than Yzerman wanting him to remain a bolt and therefore although Yzerman wants to get a deal done he's also hardballing Stamkos. Yzerman has the leverage in my opinion based off the Lightning playoff success without Stamkos and although he'd like to sign Stammer, he'd also be content with moving on without Stamkos knowing he has a core group of players that are going to be successful going forward. I do believe Stamkos wants to be here, he wants to win and here is his best chance to do so. I remember his exit interview after game 7 and he harped on about how much he wanted to be here and that this group has unfinished business. Despite the fact he wants to remain I do think he's being hardballed which is understandably because of the cap and I do think he's intrigued to see what other offers he gets which is also understandably because that's nature of the business. Stamkos has never struck me as a selfish individual, from the way he carries himself and to his style of play, he puts the team first rather than himself despite his superstar status. With Stamkos not being a selfish individual I just can't see him leaving for the big bucks although he might be forced too. Again Yzerman has the leverage in the situation based off what I explained before and therefore it comes to down to how much desire Stamkos has to want to stay here and if he's willing to accept less to win. The issue is that Free Agency is just under 2 weeks away but teams negotiating with Free Agents begin this weekend. Surely Yzerman has made it clear he would like an answer regarding extension sooner rather than later because Yzerman has got to look out for his organization and the decision of Stamkos is one massive domino to how he goes about the rest of the offseason whether Stamkos stays or goes.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like that Yzerman has tabled his best offer in regards to the term on the contract which is $8.5 mill per year. Darren Dreger has been told by sources who believe that they’re in the know where this case is concerned that Yzerman can't go above $8.5 mill per when it comes to the Stamkos deal. The only when Yzerman can improve his offer is by offering more years. Originally the deal offered in January to Stamkos was $8.5 mill per for 5 years. Who knows what Yzerman is willing to offer in terms of years? You would think he would offer the max 8 years as when it comes to cap, if the term fits then you would figure to sign a player of Stamkos ability to a deal as long as possible.

I'm started to think for the 1st time that we might have seen the last of Stamkos in a bolt uniform. It sounds like he can get more term for more years and also have a chance of competing with teams like Detroit & Buffalo being interested and a chance to play for his hometown Leafs is also something to strongly considered.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like that Yzerman has tabled his best offer in regards to the term on the contract which is $8.5 mill per year. Darren Dreger has been told by sources who believe that they’re in the know where this case is concerned that Yzerman can't go above $8.5 mill per when it comes to the Stamkos deal. The only when Yzerman can improve his offer is by offering more years. Originally the deal offered in January to Stamkos was $8.5 mill per for 5 years. Who knows what Yzerman is willing to offer in terms of years? You would think he would offer the max 8 years as when it comes to cap, if the term fits then you would figure to sign a player of Stamkos ability to a deal as long as possible.

I'm started to think for the 1st time that we might have seen the last of Stamkos in a bolt uniform. It sounds like he can get more term for more years and also have a chance of competing with teams like Detroit & Buffalo being interested and a chance to play for his hometown Leafs is also something to strongly considered.
Is a chance he is gone but I've always heard yzerman can go to 9.5 per year and that's it. I don't really trust dreger until Bobby Mac says that I don't believe dreger.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is a chance he is gone but I've always heard yzerman can go to 9.5 per year and that's it. I don't really trust dreger until Bobby Mac says that I don't believe dreger.
But Tampa does not want to do 10 or 11 that's always been the last straw

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also keep in mind Stamkos worst fear leaving for Toronto and watching the Lightning win the cup next year.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright guys we sit just under 2 weeks till Free Agency begins and Steven Stamkos remains unsigned. I'm not surprised that he's unsigned at this point but all seems very quiet regarding the whole Stamkos situation, is that a good thing? Is that a bad thing? Or is that something not to pay any notice too? I know negations are purposely kept quiet but you might see the odd report saying talks are progressing or something like that but there's absolutely nothing. I always thought Stamkos would re-sign here but as time goes by i'm starting to get more increasingly concerned that we may have seen Stamkos for the last time in a Lightning uniform. Being from across the pond I was just wondering what is the opinion/perspective from the national/local media, community (other fans) etc. regarding the Stamkos situation, is he staying or is he going?
Does it surprise me yzerman and the Stamkos camp have leaked nothing out the whole year. It will stay quiet till its done or not.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Yzerman could go up to $9.5 if he really wanted to sign him but as much as he wants to keep Stamkos, he also understands that he wants to keep most of the core possible and therefore he's being very strict at setting the bar at $8.5.

The NHL have announced that the salary cap has increased to $73 million so that gives Yzerman a bit more room to work with than originally anticipated so he may now be able to improve his offer in regards to the term and push it towards $9 mill per.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last ditch effort

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like a last ditch offer has been made and if that is true about he wanting to win rather than getting the payday, this is a positive as you would think he would want resign. Hopefully we can get this done!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck, fellas, hope Stamkos stays. I think it would be best for both Stamkos's legacy as well as the future of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally i think Yzerman has made his best offer to Stamkos very recently maybe as late as yesterday. Yzerman wants a decision made from Stamkos sooner rather than later and i think will Stamkos will abide by that. Stamkos can start negotiating with teams on Saturday so i think he will see what he's being offered over the weekend and then make his decision on Monday if he's resigning or testing the waters in free agency.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So other than staying put with the Tampa Bay Lightning (which I said would be the best situation)

Toronto Maple Leafs: some good young players but horrible reputation.

Detroit Red Wings: good reputation but will have to give up a lot of draft picks for someone to take Datsyuk's contract, and this is a team that prides itself on their late round draft picks.

Buffalo Sabres: a lot like the Maple Leafs, but they could offer Stamkos the most money.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So other than staying put with the Tampa Bay Lightning (which I said would be the best situation)

Toronto Maple Leafs: some good young players but horrible reputation.

Detroit Red Wings: good reputation but will have to give up a lot of draft picks for someone to take Datsyuk's contract, and this is a team that prides itself on their late round draft picks.

Buffalo Sabres: a lot like the Maple Leafs, but they could offer Stamkos the most money.

I agree that these are the only 3 teams in contention for Stamkos.

With Toronto i don't think you can rule them out but they are years away, they are in a very similar situation to Tampa when Stamkos was drafted number 1 overall back in 2008 and look how long it's taken for the bolts to become a contender. Can't see Stamkos wanting to wait the long to be apart of a contender.

I think Detroit will be able to move Datsyuk and possibly Jimmy Howard as well before July 1 to make a run at Stamkos. Detroit are the closest team to competing and they really could use a player like Stamkos based off their recent struggles to score goals. They have the tradition, the reputation, the money and the chance to compete to attract a player of Stamkos caliber. I think he's a good fit system wise as well as Detroit play a fast north-south game like the bolts.

In regards to Buffalo they are very attractive option as well. To start with they have a very good ownership and in my opinion they have one of the best coaches in the business with coach Bylsma. They also have a very good group of up and coming players and with the addition of Stamkos i think could possible push for a playoff berth next year. Buffalo can also offer the most money to Stamkos which is another reason to attract a free agent.