• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Spagnuolo new DC

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least we don't have to worry about anyone stealing this coordinator after a season or two. I think its fair to say at this point that Spags is probably just going to be a yes-man subordinate to Reid.

So whats this mean?

Spags generally likes freak athletes at the DE spot to pin their ears back and rush the passer. On obvious passing downs, we'll sub in an extra DE (guys like Speaks or Kpassagnon) to go with Chris Jones you'll likely see the whole Dline being pass rushers. I'd imagine this would mean that we never have to hear the words 'why is Justin Houston in coverage?' anymore.

This obviously doesn't sound like it fixes the run defense woes. This applies doubly if the Chiefs keep Dee Ford. I think he is generally too small for this type of defense without some stud linebackers behind him.

I also think that this means that interior defenders are less of a priority in the draft.

My general opinion of Spags is that he shows you what you are. If you have bad talent, you'll have one of the worst defenses in the league. If you have good talent then you'll have one of the best defenses in the league. Sutton's scheme obfuscated some things. The Chiefs will know what they have at this point next year. The success of next season will likely come down to the evaluation of the talent on the roster and figuring out who to draft and who to bring in during FA to make the defense at least average.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The average for Steve Spagnuolo during his career as a DC is he finishes around 25th in yards allowed including worst or second worst 4X during that stretch and 24th in points allowed with 3 times being 30th or worse.

Going to be interesting to see how they transition to a more 4-3 base defense when most of the players they have drafted have been for the 3-4 Sutton has run. Some will transition fine as Chris Jones being a 3-tech just sounds unfair. Others like you said in Dee Ford will not be great fits if they bring him back now.

I'm not sure this will be the upgrade a lot of Chief fans were hoping for.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The average for Steve Spagnuolo during his career as a DC is he finishes around 25th in yards allowed including worst or second worst 4X during that stretch and 24th in points allowed with 3 times being 30th or worse.

Going to be interesting to see how they transition to a more 4-3 base defense when most of the players they have drafted have been for the 3-4 Sutton has run. Some will transition fine as Chris Jones being a 3-tech just sounds unfair. Others like you said in Dee Ford will not be great fits if they bring him back now.

I like the idea of the Chiefs in a 4-3 but I'm pretty skeptical about Spags in general. His stint as a head coach is one of the best examples of Peter Principle you'll ever find. Spags does have a reputation for being a good communicator and a good teacher. Considering the Chiefs spent the whole draft last year on run defense and will probably spend most of the draft this year on pass defense this seems like a timely hire.

Chiefs D right now is Chris Jones and then everyone else. When I think of Spags, the player who the Chiefs need the most after Jones is Justin Houston even with his age, injury history and contract. Berry could still be a factor when he gets surgery but I don't think he is a long-term factor in the NFL being the same age as Houston. Steven Nelson is #39 on the PFF Free Agents list and out of the top 50 in many other lists. I could see the Chiefs keeping him. He probably has more value to the Chiefs than to other teams if I had to guess. I think Breeland Speaks and Tanoh Kpassagnon along with the scheme change and the huge price tag make Dee Ford expendable. A lot of Chiefs fans think this isn't the case, though, but just as someone who looks at roster of teams who win, they don't go all-in on signing guys like Dee Ford.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of feels like a different flavor of Bob Sutton; as in more Andy Reid friendly. Know it has been successful under certain scenarios, but a lot of less than savory on a deeper dive. Kinda hope I am wrong, would be completely unacceptable to piss away MVP level QB play and this offense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of feels like a different flavor of Bob Sutton; as in more Andy Reid friendly. Know it has been successful under certain scenarios, but a lot of less than savory on a deeper dive. Kinda hope I am wrong, would be completely unacceptable to piss away MVP level QB play and this offense.

That is my thought as well other than I hope I am right. I'm interested to see what the Chiefs do this offseason to add talent to this defense. A lot of holes that need fixed and could be losing a couple of big names.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+ Honey Badger
- Justin Houston

Seems like maybe a push or a slight upgrade. Both players have a tendency to get dinged up so Matheiu staying healthy would be pretty big for the Chiefs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought the idea was that Justin Houston and Dee Ford were in competition with each other. Getting rid of both seems like madness.

I get that with Mahomes a GM has to be thinking with a 10 year window but 2019 took a huge blow.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought the idea was that Justin Houston and Dee Ford were in competition with each other. Getting rid of both seems like madness.

I get that with Mahomes a GM has to be thinking with a 10 year window but 2019 took a huge blow.

Definitely hard to see any idea of this defense being better at this moment. Still time to make moves but with both of those guys gone and even still the possibility of Berry being gone that is a lot leaving the building. And while the draft has some nice defensive pieces for sure not sure the Chiefs can count on them being day 1 impact players.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely hard to see any idea of this defense being better at this moment. Still time to make moves but with both of those guys gone and even still the possibility of Berry being gone that is a lot leaving the building. And while the draft has some nice defensive pieces for sure not sure the Chiefs can count on them being day 1 impact players.
Maybe we'll see some sort of weird Ogbah for Berry trade here in the next day or two.

Chiefs need a veteran pass rusher from somewhere. Even if its not a top tier guy.

Improvement next year does seem unlikely. The Chiefs just need to make sure that they're building something long-term to justify getting rid of both pass rushers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we'll see some sort of weird Ogbah for Berry trade here in the next day or two.

Chiefs need a veteran pass rusher from somewhere. Even if its not a top tier guy.

Improvement next year does seem unlikely. The Chiefs just need to make sure that they're building something long-term to justify getting rid of both pass rushers.

Agreed. I guess I would just think with Mahomes on his rookie deal for another 3 seasons the Chiefs would be viewing things as very urgent to build the best team possible around him like the Browns and Jets are doing for their young guys. Super Bowl window obviously doesn't close once Mahomes gets the big deal but it definitely becomes a lot more difficult.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I guess I would just think with Mahomes on his rookie deal for another 3 seasons the Chiefs would be viewing things as very urgent to build the best team possible around him like the Browns and Jets are doing for their young guys. Super Bowl window obviously doesn't close once Mahomes gets the big deal but it definitely becomes a lot more difficult.
Chiefs in 2019 have to deal with the Sammy Watkins contract (eh...) and the Anthony Hitchens contract (f'ing terrible) to contend with.

2020 you're going to have Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones both getting top money.

This is good as it gets with the Mahomes rookie deal window.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs in 2019 have to deal with the Sammy Watkins contract (eh...) and the Anthony Hitchens contract (f'ing terrible) to contend with.

2020 you're going to have Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones both getting top money.

This is good as it gets with the Mahomes rookie deal window.

Good point. Chiefs have always struggled with cap space. Always seem to have to backload deals because of limitations early in the contract which then forces them to continue that pattern with other players.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Chiefs have always struggled with cap space. Always seem to have to backload deals because of limitations early in the contract which then forces them to continue that pattern with other players.
Giving big contracts to guys who get injured a lot is a recent theme I'm noticing.

Hitchens is a special kind of stupid contract, though. GM fell in love with him and he was one of the worst starters in the league. He is paid like a cornerstone piece of the defense so if he isnt playing at an above average level next year then I think he gone, too.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving big contracts to guys who get injured a lot is a recent theme I'm noticing.

Hitchens is a special kind of stupid contract, though. GM fell in love with him and he was one of the worst starters in the league. He is paid like a cornerstone piece of the defense so if he isnt playing at an above average level next year then I think he gone, too.

That was definitely one of those head scratching deals. Probably why the Off-Ball guys have seen such big deals this offseason. Can point to that contract and say "I've outplayed him by quite a bit so better pony up the money."

Chiefs have done a lot right as an organization but contract structure is the one area they need some help. Either that or they need to take a year to get everything right on the books but with it being the window they are in I don't see that happening and they just keep trying to kick the can down the road a bit.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Peterson would make a lot of sense.

Problem is the Chiefs would be on the hook for $11 million in that trade. They would have to re-work his deal to make it work.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darby visiting.

Jason Varrett will also visit.

A replacement for Nelson appears to be a priority of some kind.