• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Nash Told Byron Scott He ‘Didn’t Feel Quite Right’

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea this Nash experiment has outlasted its welcome. They should have used the stretch back in the summer on this guy. He is not going to make it through the season for any substantial length of time.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea this Nash experiment has outlasted its welcome. They should have used the stretch back in the summer on this guy. He is not going to make it through the season for any substantial length of time.

There is zero point in using the stretch provision for Nash. He's in the final year of his deal. It's much better to carry his 10 mil salary for one year than it is to split it up over 3 years.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with you Turkey. If the point is to remove Nash from taking up a roster spot and inserting someone younger who can at least be available for more than 5 minutes a game, than it does make sense. There are a lot of positives and negatives to the stretch provision. If the Lakers use it, we move on from Nash and we get a player that can play and contribute above what we get with Nash hopefully. We also have to eat his salary for three years and we then lose his mentoring skills unless we use him as a coach. I am not sure that can be done with the stretch under the CBA though. So to say there is no point to using it is simply blowing off the possibilities as well as the liabilities which right now with Nash, the liabilities are becoming more blatant. It makes more sense than not using it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with you Turkey. If the point is to remove Nash from taking up a roster spot and inserting someone younger who can at least be available for more than 5 minutes a game, than it does make sense. There are a lot of positives and negatives to the stretch provision. If the Lakers use it, we move on from Nash and we get a player that can play and contribute above what we get with Nash hopefully. We also have to eat his salary for three years and we then lose his mentoring skills unless we use him as a coach. I am not sure that can be done with the stretch under the CBA though. So to say there is no point to using it is simply blowing off the possibilities as well as the liabilities which right now with Nash, the liabilities are becoming more blatant. It makes more sense than not using it.

Actually, I think turkey is right on this. First of all, who are the Lakers going to get now that will make a difference? All stretching Nash would do is enable to the Lakers to keep a player who would otherwise be cut and who is unlikely to make much difference now or in the future.

It will be a minor miracle if the Lakers even make the playoffs this year. Better to eat the full salary this year and have that money available for other FA's beginning next year. Stretching him now just means the Lakers continue to have him count $3million+ per year for the next 3 years. Under the current CBA, that $3million+ could be the difference between getting that "one more guy who can help" or not.

Really, with this being the final year, the only reason to use the stretch would have been if the Lakers had landed Lebron or 'Melo and needed it to add another piece or 2.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Nash experiment aftermath is broad as it is long. I get it that many of us have grown weary of this guy's galant attempt to defy father time but the reality is clear, the man has been done as a player physically for sometime and apparently only he doesn't get it or refuses to give in to what his body is telling all of us.

With that stated, if we keep him, we have to endure the present annoying pattern of Nash stating he's healthy and then 5 minutes or two games with 5 minutes of playing time later he's not feeling "right" just to rid us of his completed contract.

If we stretch him, we vacate his roster spot to substitute in say a Price or somebody that is going to get cut because of numbers and we lose his wealth of expereince unless we make him a coach only to have the annoying result of having his salary around for another three years. This isn't good either I suppose.

This guy has rapidly become like a bad rash or fungus infection that one can't get rid of. No matter what we do, we are stuck with his annoyance factor. I suppose that if you choose for a quick removal like the stretch you prolong his stay or if you choose his contract completion, it's going to feel like a stretch presence. Either way, this has been a bad nightmare that never should have happened which is also stating the obvious. Pick your poison with this guy.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Nash experiment aftermath is broad as it is long. I get it that many of us have grown weary of this guy's galant attempt to defy father time but the reality is clear, the man has been done as a player physically for sometime and apparently only he doesn't get it or refuses to give in to what his body is telling all of us.

With that stated, if we keep him, we have to endure the present annoying pattern of Nash stating he's healthy and then 5 minutes or two games with 5 minutes of playing time later he's not feeling "right" just to rid us of his completed contract.

If we stretch him, we vacate his roster spot to substitute in say a Price or somebody that is going to get cut because of numbers and we lose his wealth of expereince unless we make him a coach only to have the annoying result of having his salary around for another three years. This isn't good either I suppose.

This guy has rapidly become like a bad rash or fungus infection that one can't get rid of. No matter what we do, we are stuck with his annoyance factor. I suppose that if you choose for a quick removal like the stretch you prolong his stay or if you choose his contract completion, it's going to feel like a stretch presence. Either way, this has been a bad nightmare that never should have happened which is also stating the obvious. Pick your poison with this guy.

The Lakers don't give a crap about fan annoyance. For basketball business, it makes way more sense to keep Nash on the roster. You're not getting anyone that will make a grain of sand of a difference this year. With the way the CBA works, the sunk cost is way more valuable than a D-League player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers don't give a crap about fan annoyance. For basketball business, it makes way more sense to keep Nash on the roster. You're not getting anyone that will make a grain of sand of a difference this year. With the way the CBA works, the sunk cost is way more valuable than a D-League player.

Exactly. If the Lakers were going to be contenders and stretching him meant adding or keeping a player that could help with that, I'd agree with retro. However, that's not the case. Better to just keep him. If it turns out he just can't play, then he can be valuable in mentoring guys like Lin and Clarkson.

If he can play, then the Lakers get whatever he might have left plus the value of him mentoring the young guys.

Either way, the smart move is to keep him.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way his career is ending is pretty sad, I don't think anyone expected this type of breakdown from Nash just a few years ago.

It's better to save the stretch provision at this point, there's not much out there left. Worst case scenario we have to sit through another shitty year and get another good draft pick at the end of the year, young talent is capable of attracting free agents just as much as veteran talent.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way his career is ending is pretty sad, I don't think anyone expected this type of breakdown from Nash just a few years ago.

It's better to save the stretch provision at this point, there's not much out there left. Worst case scenario we have to sit through another shitty year and get another good draft pick at the end of the year, young talent is capable of attracting free agents just as much as veteran talent.

Fuck it, another high draft pick would be nice, to go along with Randle next season. Just the wait of all this sucks balls. :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no point tanking it again or aiming for a draft pick. Next years draft is projected to be extremely weak.

Keep Nash this year to mentor the younger guys and next year we have an extra $9m to lure a FA in.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no point tanking it again or aiming for a draft pick. Next years draft is projected to be extremely weak.

Keep Nash this year to mentor the younger guys and next year we have an extra $9m to lure a FA in.

Exactly. Nash is scheduled to make $9.7 million this season. That $9.7 million can land 2-3 very good/solid young role players or be coupled with other cap space for a top level FA going in to next season. Then, the following season, Kobe's $24.8 million comes off the books, just about the time the salary cap is expected to increase. Pretty sure that, to at least some extent, that's what the plan is and why Mitch has been preaching patience.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Nash is scheduled to make $9.7 million this season. That $9.7 million can land 2-3 very good/solid young role players or be coupled with other cap space for a top level FA going in to next season. Then, the following season, Kobe's $24.8 million comes off the books, just about the time the salary cap is expected to increase. Pretty sure that, to at least some extent, that's what the plan is and why Mitch has been preaching patience.

Yeah, plans had to be adjusted after the CP3/D12 reload plan did not come to fruition. The front office still feels that the Lakers are a popular high-level FA destination. They've set things up where they can have significant available cap space each summer. By the summer of 2016 when the new TV deal kicks in and the cap is estimated to be pushing $80mil, the Lakers will have practically all their cap space if they don't make a splash next summer. That may be when we finally see the Lakers reload. Patience.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree keep Nash this year, and he off the books for next season. No Tank talk. Win as much as you can.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree keep Nash this year, and he off the books for next season. No Tank talk. Win as much as you can.

I never mentioned tanking, I was saying that the worst case scenario is young talent to add to Randle.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nash hurt his back moving luggage. He did not practice today.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never buy "used tires" only new ones. Something about them makes me feel safer. That and when the new ones become used you can sell em off to another "unsuspecting" driver.