• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Cishek is the new Mariner closer, Smith

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-year deal. $4 million next season and $6 million in 2017. He can earn an additional $3.5 million in performance bonuses which are easily attainable if he does not suffer a closer-ish type melt down which we saw Rodney, Smith and Wilhelmsen all experience last year.

This is a good move. it's a good signing.

The bullpen now, the way I see it:

Cishek, closer
Benoit, set up/8th inning
Scribner, 7th inning
Furbush, primary situational lefty
Nuno, long relief
De Fratus, middle relief
Zych, middle relief

Zych had a cup-of-coffee with the team last year that was nothing short of Carson Smith-like. 24 strikeouts in 18 innings/13 games. He could move into a more prominent role as the season progresses.

AAA depth chart:
1. Bass
2. Aro

Bass and Aro will compete with Zych for the 7th spot in the Mariners bullpen. Aro is long in the tooth for a rookie and his short stint with Boston sucked last year. But he had good AAA stats. He could be ready to make the permanent leap to the majors. Bass, at this point in his career, is what he is.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price is right, but no guarantee he is any better than Rodney. Had good years with Marlins until last year where he couldn't get anyone out. Pitched better with Cardinals, but who doesn't?...LOL!

I would still love to have an established closer, but we know they won't spend that kind of money so he will have to do.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good signing, but man I'm really gonna miss Smith. He's gonna be something special for a while. I really hope I'm incredibly wrong though.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty clear Dipotos main plan was to buy low on guys who had sub 2014s and hope they bounce back. We will see if that pays off or not. Still think one more decent arm is needed in the pen.

I'll miss Smith to but I had my doubts about his longevity. Was never crazy about his throwing motion and think it's an arm injury waiting to happen. Still not crazy about the deal tho.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll miss Smith to but I had my doubts about his longevity. Was never crazy about his throwing motion and think it's an arm injury waiting to happen. Still not crazy about the deal tho.

Have you seen Cishek pitch? That is painful when you see the still pictures of him.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really view Cishek as a closer. Ideally I would want him in a setup role but same goes for Benoit. It is nice to add a arm to the bullpen though, much needed add. I like the move I think it makes the M's better than they were without him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really view Cishek as a closer. Ideally I would want him in a setup role but same goes for Benoit. It is nice to add a arm to the bullpen though, much needed add. I like the move I think it makes the M's better than they were without him.

That's what I said elsewhere. He is Rodney 2.0. Which version we get is anyone's guess. Enjoy the ride once again and have those barf bags handy.