• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stay at #10 take Barr or trade up for Watkins or Mack

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of our current dilemma's on this board. I have wavered on many possibilities just like others have for a 1st rd selection. We still have needs for a DE, OLB and (1) more quality safety and WR. I would NOT want to see Barr dropping into coverage as an OLB, only as an OLB pass rusher in a 3-4 alignment . Make him strictly a DE (minus the occasional 3-4 alignment) and put 12-15 lbs. on him. He has a very high ceiling but he also has a potential to bust if not used right, IMO. He is not ready to read/diagnose plays as a 3 down LB. Teams that look at Barr as a OLB only, might end up being disappointed unless they can be patient for 2-3 years. He only has 2 years of experience on the defensive side of the ball. There's not a lot of 4-3 DE's this year that could contribute immediately and provide an impact. Hoping that Jason Jones comes back with absolutely no issues from rehabbing his torn patellar tendon, it's a tough injury to come back from, leaves me questioning the quality of DE play this. I would absolutely hate to give up a draft pick this year just because of so many needs to be filled. Selecting Barr in the 1st round and an absolute must have VanNoy in the 2nd round makes a huge impact for our front seven, IMO. For those of you who like Attaochu, he's so similar to Barr in that he provides so little in coverage it would apper to me like a duplicate pick. VanNoy has proven for 4 years now that he has the tools to come in immediately and provide an impact as that 3 down LB. He's very very good dropping into coverage. Think of the alignment possibilities with Barr and VanNoy.
.....................................................4-3 alignment..............................................................
...........................................Barr.............Suh........Fairley............Ansah.............................

...................................................VanNoy........Tulloch..........Levy......................................

......Slay ...................................................................................................... Houston......
.............................Quin.......................................................... Ihedigbo...........................

.....................................................3-4 alignment..............................................................
..........................................Taylor...............Suh.............Ansah..........................................

.................................Barr..............Tulloch............Levy.....................VanNoy......................

......Slay........................................................................................................ Houston......
.............................Quin............................................................ Ihedigbo..........................

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add to this scenario, I'm totally on board with Gandydancer's selection of Hybrid player Telvin Smith being used as a Safety and in some cases an OLB. Smith is 6'3 218 lbs,. played safety for 2yrs (unless I'm misinformed prior to Joyner taking over that position). With all the talk of Austin coaching up the secondary I'd think this move becomes highly relevant. Smith isn't great in coverage but he sure as hell could play up in the box as gandydancer noted. Another player who has multiple uses, IMO. That could be a rock solid defense.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add to this scenario, I'm totally on board with Gandydancer's selection of Hybrid player Telvin Smith being used as a Safety and in some cases an OLB. Smith is 6'3 218 lbs,. played safety for 2yrs (unless I'm misinformed prior to Joyner taking over that position). With all the talk of Austin coaching up the secondary I'd think this move becomes highly relevant. Smith isn't great in coverage but he sure as hell could play up in the box as gandydancer noted. Another player who has multiple uses, IMO. That could be a rock solid defense.

We could already do that with Ashlee Palmer. He was a safety in college. Although Palmer would be better used as an inside LB in the 3-4 alignment. Levy should stay outside with Barr even in the 3-4. The only change would be Fat ass would come out from DT and Palmer goes in at LB.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Van Noy is gone before the Lions pick.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Van Noy is gone before the Lions pick.

Hope not.

My ideal draft right now is Donald @ #10, Van Noy in the 2nd, a WR in the 3rd, and a safety, center, and another WR in the 4th...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to get him and hope I'm wrong.

I'd prefer a top Safety in the first.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to get him and hope I'm wrong.

I'd prefer a top Safety in the first.

I think taking a safety would be a waste of our draft position. We have a top-10 pick and there's no safety talent commesurate with our draft slot. Rather than trading back 5 to 10 spots and grabbing Clinton-Dix or Pryor we should stand pat and get a top-10 talent. Ideally, we won't be drafting in the top-10 again any time soon, so we should make good use of this opportunity to get the best player we can, instead of trying to use it to fill the biggest needs, imo.

We can take a safety next year when we go 8-8 and pick 14th... :clap:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just depends on what the Lions would have to give up. If they can somehow hold on to that second round pick, they should trade up for Watkins instead of drafting Barr at 10.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see any scenario where it would make sense for the Lions to trade up and trade away picks to draft an offensive player.

It may get them to the playoffs, but it will get them a first round exit, as they wouldn't be able to stop any teams with a real QB. This defense right now is no better than the year the Lions went to the playoffs and the defense was embarrassed by the Saints.

If it is to trade up for Mack or Clowney -- I hope they make it happen.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't happen, but Clowney and Suh would be fun as shit to watch.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally would like to see the Leo's use their first 3 picks on defense. Taking a WR with #10 or trading up for a WR is a complete waste and quite frankly the wrong attitude ...stop "building" for the future. How about play for 2014 ....how about win now. Over the last few weeks I've seen threads talking about how the Lions are heading for cap hell in the not so distant future what with Staff, CJ, whether or not Suh resigns or not. You know what will really make those future decisions easier ....... A goddamned SB trophy. Saw a post last week something about the Lions have to get ready for 2017 and the possibility of no more CJ and that's why they "need" to get Watkins. Ya know what FUCK 2017! I'm worried about 2014 as far as the "future" ..... burn that bridge when we get there.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally would like to see the Leo's use their first 3 picks on defense. Taking a WR with #10 or trading up for a WR is a complete waste and quite frankly the wrong attitude ...stop "building" for the future. How about play for 2014 ....how about win now. Over the last few weeks I've seen threads talking about how the Lions are heading for cap hell in the not so distant future what with Staff, CJ, whether or not Suh resigns or not. You know what will really make those future decisions easier ....... A goddamned SB trophy. Saw a post last week something about the Lions have to get ready for 2017 and the possibility of no more CJ and that's why they "need" to get Watkins. Ya know what FUCK 2017! I'm worried about 2014 as far as the "future" ..... burn that bridge when we get there.

After what happened to the Broncos (probably the best offense ever) in the SB......Offense won't get you there and they had freaking Peyton Manning.....Defense is the way to go all day everday and every year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't happen, but Clowney and Suh would be fun as shit to watch.

AMEN -- Don't forget Ansah too. He was the #1 rookie DE against the run and also finished the year with 8 sacks. Team Clowney up with Suh/Fairley and Ansah -- Detroit would have a sick DL that could do some damage.

Hell -- I'd be just as happy if we traded up for Khalil Mack, as the Lions don't have a 3rd linebacker right now that is worth a damn.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense won't get you there and they had freaking Peyton Manning

It could get you there, if you have a Peyton Manning at QB, but elite defenses will beat elite offenses more times than not.

We got to see what Denver did this offseason -- And they are actually in "win now mode", not just saying it to appease the fans. They only have Manning for another year or two. They let Decker walk and signed a cheaper option and the rest of FA was spent upgrading the defense with TJ Ward, Aqib Talib and DeMarcus Ware.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could get you there, if you have a Peyton Manning at QB, but elite defenses will beat elite offenses more times than not.

We got to see what Denver did this offseason -- And they are actually in "win now mode", not just saying it to appease the fans. They only have Manning for another year or two. They let Decker walk and signed a cheaper option and the rest of FA was spent upgrading the defense with TJ Ward, Aqib Talib and DeMarcus Ware.

I like your posts Mike, but if your going to quote me quote the whole post and not just a snipit.

rd27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb question: Why do you think OLB is a need when the Lions primarily wind up playing with Nickel sets? Would you take Levy's coverage skills out on 3rd down and use a rookie instead?

Barr was an absolute monster at UCLA. Sure he may be a little raw, but remember how much NFL coaching experience is actually there at the program for UCLA. I think I trust Jim Mora Jr's football game than my own.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is more of a safety/lb I believe. Suited for the role Don Carey played more than an actual linebacker. (Palmer played 565 snaps, Carey 469) Has virtually the same speed as Carey and outweighs him by nearly 30lbs. Of course, with a new staff I don't know what type of sets we'll be seeing.