• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting WR's for Friday

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There can be no question that we put together this offense to balance our defense this year - not next. I've said several times now, stay healthy and execute and we will be the most frightening teams in the NFL - this year.

18.5 hours until kickoff (but still a damn month away from real action) - eh, I'll take what I can get.

Sometimes I feel I'm being greedy or a bandwagoner to be a 49er fan. But I've been it all my life. I was trying to temper my excitement saying it would maybe take until next year for offense/defense balance (though I felt this year could be a SB either way) - but man, if this year is it, this is going to be one hell of a year.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18.5 hours until kickoff (but still a damn month away from real action) - eh, I'll take what I can get.

Sometimes I feel I'm being greedy or a bandwagoner to be a 49er fan. But I've been it all my life. I was trying to temper my excitement saying it would maybe take until next year for offense/defense balance (though I felt this year could be a SB either way) - but man, if this year is it, this is going to be one hell of a year.

It may take until next year, hell it could never happen; but it is designed to happen this year - Baalke & Co., are not playing liars poker

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else think that Crabtree & Ginn are starting BECAUSE they'll be pulled quickly?

I think Crabtree is going to be coddled and protected because of his glass-like nature during the off season/preseason, and Ginn will be at the bottom of the depth chart come the start of the season regardless, so the 3 receivers - Moss, Manningham, Williams - with the biggest questions of where they fall and how they will be used, will play decent minutes with Kaepernick & Johnson.

Harbaugh obviously won't play it like this all preseason, but my prior comments were what came to mind when I saw the starters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope harbaugh doesn't end up starting Ginn this season and leaving Moss to come off the bench bc everything I have read and seen is that Moss has been great in camp

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else think that Crabtree & Ginn are starting BECAUSE they'll be pulled quickly?

I think Crabtree is going to be coddled and protected because of his glass-like nature during the off season/preseason, and Ginn will be at the bottom of the depth chart come the start of the season regardless, so the 3 receivers - Moss, Manningham, Williams - with the biggest questions of where they fall and how they will be used, will play decent minutes with Kaepernick & Johnson.

Harbaugh obviously won't play it like this all preseason, but my prior comments were what came to mind when I saw the starters.

Starting a pre-season game as a WR is about as meaningful as sperm on a bed-post.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting a pre-season game as a WR is about as meaningful as sperm on a bed-post.

Yeah, if I can see it in a hotel, I'm changing rooms. What I see there is pretty meaningful in my decision where to stay. ;)

Oh, and the first preseason game is the bottom two importance of all pre-season games (the other being the fourth game) and least important as far as who's starting. At least the fourth game will have likely starters for very short or it's clear on which starters are resting. Heck, right now I'm pretty sure on the WR starters for the regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill wait until week 3 preseason before i judge anything. Hell with harbs you gotta wait until week 1 to know what he will really do.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if I can see it in a hotel, I'm changing rooms. What I see there is pretty meaningful in my decision where to stay. ;)

Oh, and the first preseason game is the bottom two importance of all pre-season games (the other being the fourth game) and least important as far as who's starting. At least the fourth game will have likely starters for very short or it's clear on which starters are resting. Heck, right now I'm pretty sure on the WR starters for the regular season.

And change hotels or rooms to what, a different hotel and a different room that has sperm on the bed sheets instead of the bed post? If you travel and you want to be absolutely certain you are not sleeping in the pro-creation concoctions of others then you might as well sleep in your car.

Pre-season is about executing fundamentals and exhibiting instincts not who starts and what their stats are. To use a timely analogy, pre-season is like the qualifying rounds before the final - it doesn't matter what qualifying round you're in or in what lane you start the race - you still have to qualify.

Ginn could very well be on the bubble and that is why Harbaugh wants to see him early, who knows.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill wait until week 3 preseason before i judge anything. Hell with harbs you gotta wait until week 1 to know what he will really do.

Ding! And somewhere in Heaven an angel has been winged!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And change hotels or rooms to what, a different hotel and a different room that has sperm on the bed sheets instead of the bed post? If you travel and you want to be absolutely certain you are not sleeping in the pro-creation concoctions of others then you might as well sleep in your car.

Pre-season is about executing fundamentals and exhibiting instincts not who starts and what their stats are. To use a timely analogy, pre-season is like the qualifying rounds before the final - it doesn't matter what qualifying round you're in or in what lane you start the race - you still have to qualify.

Ginn could very well be on the bubble and that is why Harbaugh wants to see him early, who knows.

Yes, I know it's there, I just don't want to see it (since I can't get rid of it). I mean, if it's on the bed post, it's definitely on the bed, too. Come to think of it, the rental car may have some, too. :frusty:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I know it's there, I just don't want to see it (since I can't get rid of it). I mean, if it's on the bed post, it's definitely on the bed, too. Come to think of it, the rental car may have some, too. :frusty:

All true

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or.... maybe this?

This time around, Ginn Jr. is showing teammates he can do even more on offense.

"I just think he looks really sharp," said quarterback Alex Smith, who's already completed several passes to the 5-foot-11, 180-pound speedy wide receiver in camp. "He's got the speed, everybody knows that, but I really feel like he continues to work on the little things, the little things of being a receiver."

Perhaps those little things Smith mentioned were most evident when the duo hooked up on a 40-yard passing play earlier this week. Ginn Jr. showed excellent body control down the sideline to remain in bounds while coming down with Smith's perfectly thrown deep ball.

"Really precise route running so far in camp," Smith added. "He's making a lot of plays out there. He's made a lot of tough catches coming back to the football. Those are things that I see and obviously when you combine that with his speed, I think he's had a great camp so far."

Jim Harbaugh agrees and that's why Ginn Jr. will be with the starting 11.

"He's had a great camp," Harbaugh said. "He's catching the ball, blocking, playing all the positions – X, Z, the slot. He's running good – getting in and out of his cuts – performing at a high level."

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Or.... maybe this?

Ok I buy this theory. It all fits together actually.

Try Ginn as a #1 WR and see how he does.

Also we are trying Williams out as our PR/KR let's see how he does (although after the Giants loss I don't know how you completely trust the guy back there).

Could be a battle between Ginn and Williams for the last roster spot.

Although I think I would keep Ginn, just because we are so close we need a solid return guy. Ginn is a top 10 PR/KR and he did a good job at that position and he did not fumble much.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring any of the buuble guys showing really strong in preseason. I see us keeping all 6 of Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Ginn, Williams and Jenkins.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If keep keep 6 WRs then we'll have to sacrifice somewhere else, like an RB (Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs, Dixon, Cartwright).

Williams should be the first WR to get cut.

Jacobs, Dixon, Cartwright should also all be on the bubble.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Barring any of the buuble guys showing really strong in preseason. I see us keeping all 6 of Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Ginn, Williams and Jenkins.

it might be six and thats ok, but can't help wonder where you give up a spot?

the other group that may become a tough decision........is RB?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If keep keep 6 WRs then we'll have to sacrifice somewhere else, like an RB (Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs, Dixon, Cartwright).

Williams? Okay, here is a valid question - What if Williams and/or Ginn prove to be as good or better than Crabtree as a WR? (Which, if we are bing honest in our evaluation is not that tall an order) What action do you take with Crabtree? Keeping in mind as you consider the question that both Ginn & Williams are multi-dimensional players and Crabtree is one-dimensional.

Personally, I'm dumping Dixon long before I let go of any of our top six WR's

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I buy this theory. It all fits together actually.

Try Ginn as a #1 WR and see how he does.

Also we are trying Williams out as our PR/KR let's see how he does (although after the Giants loss I don't know how you completely trust the guy back there).

Could be a battle between Ginn and Williams for the last roster spot.

Although I think I would keep Ginn, just because we are so close we need a solid return guy. Ginn is a top 10 PR/KR and he did a good job at that position and he did not fumble much.

We separate our WR's by those who are short-medium possession and those capable of stretching the field and right now we have a good mix of both. And, if Ginn can start hauling in (and Smith can start connecting on) some of those deeps then we will have one of the more dangerous WR corps in the league - not because they are superstars but because they will be able to execute the real superstar of our offense - our game plan.

In the end we have only one bonafide #1 WR, and he is on the downside of his career. After Moss, we have five WR's that are all bunched up in terms of skill and value. I am still thinking we keep six and suit-up five on game day.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I said in the spring and I will say again Jacobs isn't going anywhere