• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Finals: Washington Capitals vs. Las Vegas Golden Knights

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, enough of the kidding around.

What have y'all done with the real Washington Capitols:noidea:

And when are they going to come back?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the game on Saturday with my cousin in town from Cali and the crew I went to the Winter Classic with. Got some fam time last night. Heading downtown on Thursday where I'll be joined by fam, my high school bud I snuck off to Caps' games with ("going to the Mall, mom") when I was 16, a workmate who I'd been watching playoff games with and many disappointments since about 2010, and the girlfriend who the Caps have never lost a series since I've been with her (keeper!). This series (and playoffs) has not only been a lot of fun, it's been like a little reunion journey through the eras of my Caps' fanhood.

One... more... boys...

Move those legs, keep that resilience, get it done.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I switched to vodka and grapefruit and they won to even the Tampa series at 3-3. So I kept drinking vodka and grapefruit and they won Game 7. Not realize the power of vodka and grapefruit I drank beer and they lost in the Finals series opener. I switched back to vodka and grapefruit for Game 2 and there I have remained.

Your welcome Caps fans.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is Trotz going to get the credit he deserves?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats are probably slightly off, heard it on the radio, blocked shots in games 3 and 4 were 24-8 and 23-9 (could be off by 1 or 2) in favor of the Caps. That will do it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Caps bring back John Carlson? That dude is gonna get paid on July 1st.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure how they can.
RFA This year:
Wilson, DSP, Boyd, Bowey
RFA Next year:
Burakovsky, Stephenson, Vrana and Djoos

UFA This year:
Carlson, Kempny, Jerabek, Chiasson and Beagle
UFA Next year:
Orpik (have to think retirement) Connolly.

Current cap space 8m with 16 skaters under contract against the 76m cap. They may get 5m room if generous.

Signing DSP, Wilson, Beagle, Kempny and Carlson at their current salaries is as near as makes no difference 8m. And at least three of them are due big raises. With Bura, Djoos and Vrana due next year?

Yikes.

Something's gotta give.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RFA This year:
Wilson, DSP, Boyd, Bowey
RFA Next year:

UFA This year:
UFA Next year:

Current cap space 8m with 16 skaters under contract against the 76m cap. They may get 5m room if generous.

Signing DSP, Wilson, Beagle, Kempny and Carlson at their current salaries is as near as makes no difference 8m. And at least three of them are due big raises. With Bura, Djoos and Vrana due next year?

Yikes.

Something's gotta give.
Send Holtby packing - he's replaceable and a sieve to boot. Blackhawks sent their goalie packing after winning their first Cup and two more followed shortly thereafter. Rinse and repeat.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send Holtby packing - he's replaceable and a sieve to boot. Blackhawks sent their goalie packing after winning their first Cup and two more followed shortly thereafter. Rinse and repeat.

He is one of the biggest reasons they are where they are right now.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Samsonov is as good as advertised, then Holtby is a place to save some money.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game tonight and that was the greatest sporting moment I've ever been to. I hugged strangers and found my way onto the steps. Amazing experience both games 3 and 4 were. View attachment 180386

Congrats, I'm very happy for you.

I've only gotten to attend one SCF game in my life, and that was game 2 of the 1998 finals. It was awful at first, but got better.

That's all I can say, because I'm not allowed to talk about that...

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To all the "Pittsburgh West" fans, let me say what we're all thinking...

Fuck you, you spoiled assholes. You have 5 Cups and because your team got knocked out you all can't just suffer through the pain like so many of us do year in and year out?

There is no Pittsburgh West. Your ex goalie is there that you all were happy to let go of his big salary, James Neal hasn't worn the black and gold since 2014, and Engelland was hardly a fan fave or a strong contributor when he was on your team.

If my goalie or a forward from the Caps ends up elsewhere, I'll wish them well individually. But I'll be damned if I'll ever act like a fan or cheer on another team that doesn't have CAPITALS written across the sweaters.

Because I'm a true fan. Props to you Pittsburgh fans who are the same. You know who you are. Many of you have a Pirates logo sitting in those squares.
1 more win Elo!! 1 more FUCKING win and you and your Dad will have a moment together you will NEVER forget!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man, the series isn't even over yet. Can a mod please move this goofball's comment to another thread. He's being a real bozo!

(Ps - sorry for my harsh language)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, the series isn't even over yet. Can a mod please move this goofball's comment to another thread. He's being a real bozo!

(Ps - sorry for my harsh language)

giphy.gif

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

8 X 8 would get it done.

RFA This year:
Wilson, DSP, Boyd, Bowey
RFA Next year:

UFA This year:
UFA Next year:

Yikes.

Something's gotta give.

Next year's cap is supposed to be around 80M, so they'll have ~13.5M in cap space. Chaisson, Beagle and Jerabek aren't likely back, although Jerabek could be back on a ~1M deal. Wilson gets a raise, but I can't see him getting more than 4M per year. DSP had 7 goals and 9 assists in the regular season. He's been great these playoffs but caps shouldn't overpay him, 2M per year or let him walk. Boyd and Bowey are ~1M each. That's ~8M leaving 5.5M with 20 skaters signed and Kempny and Carlson remaining (although there are players I don't think make the Caps next year out of training camp.Carlson will likely cost 8M and Kempny will get a raise, somewhere between 2-4M I think.

The elephant in the room is Brooks Orpik's contract. I could honestly see Orpik sit out all of next year with a mysterious injury ala Hossa (Read: payed retirement). Caps LTIR with him and his 5.5M cap hit. If they do that, I think they can sign Carlson. Even if they can't shed Orpik's cap hit, They'll sign Kempny and be in the market for another D-man.

I could also see Connolly get shopped this summer. Doesn't offer the most cap relief, but his value is the highest it'll ever be and they can't afford to keep him next summer. Pair him with Grubauer who is an RFA this offseason and they could fetch a pretty decent return.

My complete mess of trying to get everything to work Keeping the Team together - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 X 8 would get it done.

Next year's cap is supposed to be around 80M, so they'll have ~13.5M in cap space. Chaisson, Beagle and Jerabek aren't likely back, although Jerabek could be back on a ~1M deal. Wilson gets a raise, but I can't see him getting more than 4M per year. DSP had 7 goals and 9 assists in the regular season. He's been great these playoffs but caps shouldn't overpay him, 2M per year or let him walk. Boyd and Bowey are ~1M each. That's ~8M leaving 5.5M with 20 skaters signed and Kempny and Carlson remaining (although there are players I don't think make the Caps next year out of training camp.Carlson will likely cost 8M and Kempny will get a raise, somewhere between 2-4M I think.

The elephant in the room is Brooks Orpik's contract. I could honestly see Orpik sit out all of next year with a mysterious injury ala Hossa (Read: payed retirement). Caps LTIR with him and his 5.5M cap hit. If they do that, I think they can sign Carlson. Even if they can't shed Orpik's cap hit, They'll sign Kempny and be in the market for another D-man.

I could also see Connolly get shopped this summer. Doesn't offer the most cap relief, but his value is the highest it'll ever be and they can't afford to keep him next summer. Pair him with Grubauer who is an RFA this offseason and they could fetch a pretty decent return.

My complete mess of trying to get everything to work Keeping the Team together - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It's possible, but how much would they need the cap to go up the year after to keep Bura, Vrana and Djoos? Would they really want to let go of either of those three? Because if they are, I'd take all three.

And, the big issue with LTIR, as the Jackets found out (costing us Karlsson essentially) is that you have to be under the cap day 1 before you can LTIR a guy for relief. Spending close to 80m and expecting to sit Orpik is risky if they are close. We were gonna get close with Clarkson, and needed to drop that contract fast (buyouts were killing us). Of course, who the F knows what the punishment would be if they weren't compliant?

They should let Carlson go and sign Jack Johnson :thumb: