• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stanley Cup Final: Los Angeles Kings vs New Jersey Devils: Game of Thrones

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sharks need to acquire Dustin Penner so he can complete a California Stanley Cup hat trick...

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
after all of the congrats have died down, I will say that is an absolute shame that the final game to win the Stanley Cup was basically decided by a referee's decision*.

the better team won for sure, but the game was over inside of 10 minutes, and that completely sucks.
I think the call was a mistake. It was a big hit, but I think Scuderi turned at the last minute.
if you want to give a penalty in a deciding game of the finals, make it a minor unless the guy pulls a knife or something.

*yes, I know that the Devils could have killed it off, or just allowed one goal. but they didn't. and it was game over.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what happened to calling it a 2 minute penalty and letting Shanaban suspend after the fact ? lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after all of the congrats have died down, I will say that is an absolute shame that the final game to win the Stanley Cup was basically decided by a referee's decision*.

the better team won for sure, but the game was over inside of 10 minutes, and that completely sucks.
I think the call was a mistake. It was a big hit, but I think Scuderi turned at the last minute.
if you want to give a penalty in a deciding game of the finals, make it a minor unless the guy pulls a knife or something.

*yes, I know that the Devils could have killed it off, or just allowed one goal. but they didn't. and it was game over.

If Raffi Torres makes that same hit last night, should it only be a minor? I agree with the ref's decision on that play, it was a bad decision by Bernier and he nailed Scuderi from behind and the impact cause blood to be spilled.

Now, did the refs miss the boarding on Gionta just prior to the Bernier hit? I think so, but that's where discipline has to come in, especially when you're the team that's facing elimination.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dont blame the ref blame the rule. it was explained that if a hit from behind (boarding call) causes an injury to the head (blood) the player will automatically get a 5 min and a game.

ref HAD to make that call it would have been worse for the game had he not.

what SHOULD Have happened was Stoll getting 2 mins 12 seconds before for hitting PArise from behind in a dangerous area. that would have negated that play 100%.

that is where the Refs were incompetent.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much agree with Puck. The Kings were the better team, but the refs decided that game by ignoring somethings but calling that. Congrats Kings fans, but I'm still fucking bitter.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
If Raffi Torres makes that same hit last night, should it only be a minor? I agree with the ref's decision on that play, it was a bad decision by Bernier and he nailed Scuderi from behind and the impact cause blood to be spilled.

Now, did the refs miss the boarding on Gionta just prior to the Bernier hit? I think so, but that's where discipline has to come in, especially when you're the team that's facing elimination.

a) It wasn't Torres, it was Bernier.
b) That shouldn't matter for an on-ice call anyways.
c) Scuderi still turned at the last second to put himself in that vulnerable spot

It was going to be a thunderous shoulder to shoulder check when Bernier was like, four feet away. He had no chance to alter course.
just my opinion.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a) It wasn't Torres, it was Rome.
b) That shouldn't matter for an on-ice call anyways.
c) Horton still admire his pass at the last second to put himself in that vulnerable spot

It was going to be a thunderous shoulder to shoulder check when Rome was like, four feet away. He had no chance to alter course.
just my opinion.

I fixed that

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Scuderi knew somebody was hot on his heels looking to make a big hit, doesn't he have the right to avoid contact if possible? Maybe he should just bail out and say "Here Steve, take the puck". Yeah, the five minute major is a harsh call, but I think it was justified in this case.

/just my opinion

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bailing out would have been getting the fuck out of there. He turned his back to take one for the team. Not mad at HIM, just the refs for ignoring call before that.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll never know for sure, but in my opinion, Scuderi tried to fake Bernier out by looking like he was going to continue around the back of the net and quickly tried to reverse course. Bernier caught him in the back and the rest is history.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kudos for Bernier being the first one at the door when the reporters came in

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou probably made him if he wants to remain a Devil

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kudos for Bernier being the first one at the door when the reporters came in

Yeah, he really took accountability and answered all the questions thrown his way. That must have been very difficult.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I'm pretty sure Scuderi knew somebody was hot on his heels looking to make a big hit, doesn't he have the right to avoid contact if possible? Maybe he should just bail out and say "Here Steve, take the puck". Yeah, the five minute major is a harsh call, but I think it was justified in this case.

/just my opinion

"presenting the numbers" isn't a legitimate way to avoid contact (though it is unfortunately becoming more prevalent).
If he wants to avoid the hit, then yes get rid of the puck early on. Otherwise, brace yourself for the hit. Compress against the boards to absorb, or push back if you think you are strong enough.

it all may be moot if what Mattola wrote is true - that the refs don't have any discretion on the call.
hey, at least the game wasn't decided on an over-the-glass call.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it all may be moot if what Mattola wrote is true - that the refs don't have any discretion on the call.

That's pretty much what Bobby Mac was saying post-game. Hit from behind, player injured, blood was drawn dictates a major plus a game misconduct.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
146194658_medium.jpg