• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stanley Cup Final: Los Angeles Kings vs New Jersey Devils: Game of Thrones

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on the Kings game threads mostly. Been busy with life and Kings games!

I hear ya mostly work and devils for me.Just trying to enjoy the moment before this starts.Really not to sure what to expect two underdogs that fought hard and earned the trip.IMO it could go either way should be interesting

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the SCF.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils in 6. Rep the Atlantic division...

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By definition, a team that wins in the playoffs is better than a team that doesn’t.

Teams that lose games do not get to say they’re the better team because they were leading after two periods. The point of the game is not to win the first 40 minutes. The point of the game is to win the game. Does that make the first 40 minutes meaningless? I mean, why not just play the third period? Why not just start every game in OT? If you’re the most dominant team in creation, it’s fine to win the game 40-0, but you earn the same two points as you would have had you gone into the third period behind 1-2 and finished the game winning 3-2. At the very least, the job of a good team is to still be in the game in the third period, with a chance to win.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are the same way. It’s fine to go 82-0-0 and win the Presidents Trophy. But if you go out in the first round, you’re not the best team in the league anymore. Because the Stanley Cup goes to the winner of the Stanley Cup playoffs. It does not go to the team that earned the most points in the regular season, any more than it goes to the team with the highest payroll, or the team that scores the most goals, or the team with the biggest media market, or the team who has won the most cups in the past.

If you get 98 points (and maybe two or three less) you are allowed to continue. If not, not. The reason it’s better, in theory, to have 120 points than 98 points is that you get to play, in theory, a lesser opponent in the opening round. And you get to start at home. Those are the benefits you’re playing for.

But if you can’t finish — if you can’t win in the playoffs — then you haven’t proven anything. Otherwise, they would have given the gold medal to that skier who fell during her premature celebration and lost the race.

Worst Stanley Cup in 20 years? | Hockey | Sports | Winnipeg Sun

Congratulations, everybody! We have the worst Stanley Cup final in more than 20 years!

That’s only technically speaking, of course, as New Jersey and Los Angeles should be solid entertainment.

But when the Devils beat the New York Rangers 3-2 in overtime on Friday night to set up a date with the Kings, it meant the ninth and 13th overall teams from the regular season will battle it out for the right to hoist Lord Stanley’s mug.

New Jersey was ninth overall and the sixth seed in the Eastern Conference, while the Kings were 13th overall and eighth in the Western Conference. Their regular-season placings total 22. The only higher sum was in 1991, when the No. 7 Pittsburgh Penguins beat the No. 16 Minnesota North Stars.

Yes, and — oh my god — prior to 1967, the highest sum was SEVEN! There are more teams now, you fucking idiot. The Kings were two points out of 3rd. The Devils had more than 100 points. One of those two teams will get to say they were the best this year, and the other 29 can make up whatever excuses they want.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for Wednesday. This is going to be intense.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By definition, a team that wins in the playoffs is better than a team that doesn’t.

Teams that lose games do not get to say they’re the better team because they were leading after two periods. The point of the game is not to win the first 40 minutes. The point of the game is to win the game. Does that make the first 40 minutes meaningless? I mean, why not just play the third period? Why not just start every game in OT? If you’re the most dominant team in creation, it’s fine to win the game 40-0, but you earn the same two points as you would have had you gone into the third period behind 1-2 and finished the game winning 3-2. At the very least, the job of a good team is to still be in the game in the third period, with a chance to win.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are the same way. It’s fine to go 82-0-0 and win the Presidents Trophy. But if you go out in the first round, you’re not the best team in the league anymore. Because the Stanley Cup goes to the winner of the Stanley Cup playoffs. It does not go to the team that earned the most points in the regular season, any more than it goes to the team with the highest payroll, or the team that scores the most goals, or the team with the biggest media market, or the team who has won the most cups in the past.

If you get 98 points (and maybe two or three less) you are allowed to continue. If not, not. The reason it’s better, in theory, to have 120 points than 98 points is that you get to play, in theory, a lesser opponent in the opening round. And you get to start at home. Those are the benefits you’re playing for.

But if you can’t finish — if you can’t win in the playoffs — then you haven’t proven anything. Otherwise, they would have given the gold medal to that skier who fell during her premature celebration and lost the race.

Congratulations, everybody! We have the worst Stanley Cup final in more than 20 years!

That’s only technically speaking, of course, as New Jersey and Los Angeles should be solid entertainment.

But when the Devils beat the New York Rangers 3-2 in overtime on Friday night to set up a date with the Kings, it meant the ninth and 13th overall teams from the regular season will battle it out for the right to hoist Lord Stanley’s mug.

New Jersey was ninth overall and the sixth seed in the Eastern Conference, while the Kings were 13th overall and eighth in the Western Conference. Their regular-season placings total 22. The only higher sum was in 1991, when the No. 7 Pittsburgh Penguins beat the No. 16 Minnesota North Stars.

Yes, and — oh my god — prior to 1967, the highest sum was SEVEN! There are more teams now, you fucking idiot. The Kings were two points out of 3rd. The Devils had more than 100 points. One of those two teams will get to say they were the best this year, and the other 29 can make up whatever excuses they want.

The Kings are probably one of the top 3 fun teams to watch this year, all year. Fuck what the critics say, they're just sad their team isn't in it. There is nothing better than a big market team (LA) on fire with a shit ton of talent and an amazing netminder, going up against almost an identical counterpart in the East (NJ). This series is going to be the shit.

oh, and GO KINGS!

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings are probably one of the top 3 fun teams to watch this year, all year. Fuck what the critics say, they're just sad their team isn't in it. There is nothing better than a big market team (LA) on fire with a shit ton of talent and an amazing netminder, going up against almost an identical counterpart in the East (NJ). This series is going to be the shit.

oh, and GO KINGS!
It's true. The storylines are better than the last couple of years (to me) as well. Marty's last run? Quick becoming a superstar? Richards/Carter succeed outside of Philly? Parise vs Brown? They're all good.

Prediction - Kings in 6 or 7... unless the Devils win.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's true. The storylines are better than the last couple of years (to me) as well. Marty's last run? Quick becoming a superstar? Richards/Carter succeed outside of Philly? Parise vs Brown? They're all good.

:lol:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he didn't watch carolina vs edmonton or calgary vs tampa bay. or even New Jersey vs Detroit in 1995.....

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forgot that Kovy's other option besides NJ was LA....

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a couple things I'm really interested in seeing this series.

1. Will Marty take his game to another level in the Finals? He hasn't played bad at all, but this might be his last shot. Will adrenaline and will overcome age? Does he have another gear yet to kick it into?

2. Will the Devils defense be able to move the puck out of the zone against LA's attack? They looked good against NY and Philly, but LA seems to be on another level right now.

3. Will Scuderi remind us why he got that huge contract? He basically earned that money in the Finals as a defensive hero. I'd like to see if he has any big memorable plays.

3. How will the first timers react to the big stage? Lots of young guns, Doughty, Henrique, Voynov are playing at a very high level. They will be seeing an intensity unlike no other, do they step up or fold?

4. Travel. I know it's always downplayed by the teams, but this is a lot of travel. It's got to favor LA, they have blown through their opponents are are probably more rested.

5. Kovalchuk. This is why he signed in NJ, right? How does he react to finally making it to the big stage?

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a couple things I'm really interested in seeing this series.

1. Will Marty take his game to another level in the Finals? He hasn't played bad at all, but this might be his last shot. Will adrenaline and will overcome age? Does he have another gear yet to kick it into?

2. Will the Devils defense be able to move the puck out of the zone against LA's attack? They looked good against NY and Philly, but LA seems to be on another level right now.

3. Will Scuderi remind us why he got that huge contract? He basically earned that money in the Finals as a defensive hero. I'd like to see if he has any big memorable plays.

3. How will the first timers react to the big stage? Lots of young guns, Doughty, Henrique, Voynov are playing at a very high level. They will be seeing an intensity unlike no other, do they step up or fold?

4. Travel. I know it's always downplayed by the teams, but this is a lot of travel. It's got to favor LA, they have blown through their opponents are are probably more rested.

5. Kovalchuk. This is why he signed in NJ, right? How does he react to finally making it to the big stage?

1-Yes
2-Most of the time, yes
3-To be determined
3?-That could be a determining factor
4-The Devils "traveled" less than 40 miles for road games vs NY, lol. And they open at home.
5-I think the Devils win because his game has stepped up

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-Yes
2-Most of the time, yes
3-To be determined
3?-That could be a determining factor

4-The Devils "traveled" less than 40 miles for road games vs NY, lol. And they open at home.
5-I think the Devils win because his game has stepped up

Me not know count number.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oh, and GO KINGS!

Taking nothing away from the Kings run and deserved success... I would not say the Kings are a top 3 "fun" team this year. They are fun to watch during these playoffs, but during the regular season there were some pretty dull games. I live in LA so I watch more of them than any team but the Sharks.