• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Staley Extended

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have tried to get a new contract without holding out. If he did that and they said no then I understand. But he was told he has to go to camp to get a new deal. I am sure they will work with him when he goes, to camp. I am with Sickness. Don't reward people for pouting like babies.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have tried to get a new contract without holding out. If he did that and they said no then I understand. But he was told he has to go to camp to get a new deal. I am sure they will work with him when he goes, to camp. I am with Sickness. Don't reward people for pouting like babies.

I am sure that with Stayley contract done the FO tells Boone's agents that if Boone reports they will work out a deal. Who cares about him missing OTAs I don't. Now if he still doesn't report fuck him and move on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree but he is grossly underpaid. Fair is fair

don't disagree with "fair is fair", but there are other players watching. how many more are thinking hey Baalke, "fair is fair?

not opposed to giving Boone an extension, but Baalke has to be careful on how its done.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am sure that with Stayley contract done the FO tells Boone's agents that if Boone reports they will work out a deal. Who cares about him missing OTAs I don't. Now if he still doesn't report fuck him and move on.

Yeah, I don't care all that much about OTAs for a guy like Boone who has been starting for awhile and is pretty reliable to keep on top of things. And Boone is grossly underpaid for his performance. If he keeps holding out, though, let's see what Looney can do.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We can't re-sign everyone, and Boone could easily be the odd man out. It's a tricky situation, cause he's clearly worth more than we're paying him, but he probably wants more than we're willing to pay. Can they (mostly Boone and his representation) meet somewhere in the middle? If not, it could get ugly. I can't see them making him one of the top-5 or even top-10 highest paid guards in the league at this point.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but he is grossly underpaid. Fair is fair

Right now it has nothing to do with being fair. By Boone holding out he pushed the team into saying to hell with him. If Baalke sets the precedent of someone holding out from all offseason activities and rewarding them with a new contract, every guy who feels underpaid will feel they can do the same thing. They'd basically be saying the way Willis, Bowman, Staley, Kap, etc handled their contract situations was nice, but if you make demands on us we'll cave in.

Boone misplayed his hand and Vernon was just dumb. I agree Boone is underpaid, but if he had handled things like Staley or held discussions quietly I think the team could have worked something out. Its possible they tried and the team said no, but when you go down this route you need to be fully prepared for the team to let you go and I would rather let Boone go then give in.

Training camp will be the decider, if Boone comes back in time for training camp I think all ends well. If he decides to go all in and hold out until he gets a contract I think the team lets him sit out the year. The only way I can see the team caving is if they have a bunch of injuries to the line this summer.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wonder if the sole reason for this extension was just to piss off Boone. :D

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it has nothing to do with being fair. By Boone holding out he pushed the team into saying to hell with him. If Baalke sets the precedent of someone holding out from all offseason activities and rewarding them with a new contract, every guy who feels underpaid will feel they can do the same thing. They'd basically be saying the way Willis, Bowman, Staley, Kap, etc handled their contract situations was nice, but if you make demands on us we'll cave in.

Boone misplayed his hand and Vernon was just dumb. I agree Boone is underpaid, but if he had handled things like Staley or held discussions quietly I think the team could have worked something out. Its possible they tried and the team said no, but when you go down this route you need to be fully prepared for the team to let you go and I would rather let Boone go then give in.

Training camp will be the decider, if Boone comes back in time for training camp I think all ends well. If he decides to go all in and hold out until he gets a contract I think the team lets him sit out the year. The only way I can see the team caving is if they have a bunch of injuries to the line this summer.

The 1st bold: For Boone a 3 year starter OTA's are meaningless IMO it is better for him to not be there to give the younger guys reps that the would not have likely gotten if Boone was there.

The 2nd bold. I agree with. If Boone shows up at the start of TC in good shape and ready to go give the man an extension.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Front office was sending a message that if you show up and not make an issue of it is when/if they'll take care of you.

I don't think holding out will get the front office to cave for Boone or Davis. I can see Boone getting taken care of if he shows up for TC and puts his work in and for Davis they might sweeten his deal a bit but I think their attitude with Davis is that he's been well taken care of for the course of his career.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Barrows brings up something I hadn't really considered.

Staley’s relatively inexpensive previous contract had made it difficult for the 49ers to reach deals with their other offensive linemen. After all, Staley played the marquee position on the line, has been its best player and deserved to be paid the most.

Read more here: 49ers sign Staley to two-year contract extension - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of being paid is the team taking a risk (albeit minimumly). So when they sign them to the underpaid contract, they were taking a (small) risk that he could be nothing for them and giving him an opportunity others don't have and wasting a roster spot (if didn't pan out). So that contract fits. The next one is where he'll gets and deserves his (more) money, more potential to be costly but more known to alleviate those fears).

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait to find out the par-tic-a-lers (details) of the deal. Wheeeeeeeeeeew, Staley-boy! :yahoo:

Now if the Niners can just get Boone back to camp somehow. I know Boone's been reliable, but I want him to have time to get in sync with whoever the Niners throw in at center because who knows, he might not have to worry about covering for the center's screw ups like in 2013 with Jonathan No-Goodwin.