• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Update:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some updates on some players and how they are doing.

Zaire- playing like a leader and looking great in practice. Looks like he is more comfortable with this offense. Playing well when offense is up tempo.

Golson- Footwork is well improved. last year it was his foot work and lower body that put him in bad position with turnovers. This spring he hasn't been turning the ball over and overall looking good.

Kizer- Starting to look like a college QB. Still needs to be more consistent.

Brent- He is starting to give it his all in practice and looking awesome this spring. Everyone knows how talented he is but he just didn't practice well so Kelly never played him. He is starting to listen and you can see the improvements. Guy is catching everything.

Hunter Jr.- Great on one on One plays but needs to learn to be a better route runner.

Carlisle- Needs to be more aggressive.

Oline- Oline is playing great and giving RB great running lanes. ND Is going to have a very big OL and running the ball should be a big part of this offense.

RB- Folston and Bryant look awesome. Should be fun watching them this year.

Tillery- One Word "Beast" People are saying he looks like the best player on the Dline. that is impressive because ND has some good DL players.

Day- Is looking good. Him and Tillery will be fun to watch.

Redfield- Biggest improvement his footwork an hip movement. DC has mention that he now looks like a player that might be able to play at the next level. Coaches are saying he has had the biggest improvement on the Defense.

J. Smith- Just so talented and would shock coaches if he isn't an All American. He just keeps getting better and that is scary for other teams offense.

Trumbetti- another talented young player for ND. Coaches are so excited about this Defense and he is one of the main reasons. He has great Speed and Power.

Bars/Nelson- 2 young talented Olmen fighting for a starting spot. Kelly will use both because both are really talented. Who will win the battle. Bars is slight ahead of Nelson.

Morgan- Starting to play with confidence. He didn't have much last year and looked lost at times. He is starting to play with Confidence.

Smythe- Might be the next great TE and TE U. Kid is looking good and ran away with the starting spot.

Overall: Kelly and some other coaches are excited about this team. This might be the most talented team ND has had in a long time. As a ND fan I am very excited. Only Negative is this team is still very young. ND has a lot of Young talent on this team.

Strength: Depth at a lot of positions and High talent at a lot of important positions.

Weakness: Youth and Special teams.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning big might be a year away but many of the young guys got playing time last year because of injury so they do have some experience.

PhightinIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as long as the Quarterback position cuts down on to's we will make some noise. That defense at the end of the year is not what they should be. I think Zaire will be the better option but part of me thinks Golson can bring it to new levels just is riskier.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think we make a nice run this year if we stay healthy.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great stuff Pur! The biggest thing that stuck with me, was about Redfield. I hope this kid can turn it around and improve. He is such a big hitter, add that to improved footwork, and watch out. Be nice to have are S set for the season. Damn......I can't wait!

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as long as the Quarterback position cuts down on to's we will make some noise. That defense at the end of the year is not what they should be. I think Zaire will be the better option but part of me thinks Golson can bring it to new levels just is riskier.

That will be a huge key to the season Golson had 22 Turnovers last year and it was the 8 fumbles that were really frustrating. As a QB losing a fumble or two isn't a big deal but 8 is too many and his INT to TD ratio wasn't too bad. If he could limit the fumbles to one or two and only have 10 INT's with similar TD and yardage numbers this team would be winning a lot of games.

Last edited:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ is looking really good at RB and that Harvin type player. Kelly is loving it right now. He should be fun to watch and just adds another weapon for us on offense.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching some practice film on the internet. It was mostly showing the QB and WR. Not sure if it is me, but MZ looks so much smoother and fluid that EG right now? He seems to get the ball out more. Not sure if anyone else has seen anything, but if so, what are your thoughts?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching some practice film on the internet. It was mostly showing the QB and WR. Not sure if it is me, but MZ looks so much smoother and fluid that EG right now? He seems to get the ball out more. Not sure if anyone else has seen anything, but if so, what are your thoughts?
Word is MZ has more Fire power or been more impressive on plays but EG has been way more consistent. He hasn't turned the ball as much as MZ. MZ has hit more home runs and has had more impressive plays. Kelly still doesn't know what to do.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is MZ has more Fire power or been more impressive on plays but EG has been way more consistent. He hasn't turned the ball as much as MZ. MZ has hit more home runs and has had more impressive plays. Kelly still doesn't know what to do.

My guess is that Kelly does not want to say something that will result in Golson transferring out. He wants to know that he has two good quarterbacks in case of an injury. I doubt he announces anything until August.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's already stated that it won't be sorted out until fall camp so Golson knows that. I would say that if Zaire clearly out plays Golson in the spring game he might consider transferring.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that Kelly does not want to say something that will result in Golson transferring out. He wants to know that he has two good quarterbacks in case of an injury. I doubt he announces anything until August.
I agree, I think he wants both QBs and wants Golson to say as insurance. Some what selfish but I agree with it.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think they can play them both, sort of like vs LSU? At least to start the season. I fear that if you start EG and he struggles, then you pull him, he is done (mentally) for the yr. The thing for me is, I expect ND to actually run the ball this yr. The OL has been getting some good praise for their job, and we seem to have the RB to make this happen. If we can run, the deep passing game with the speed on the outside is going to be unstoppable!! Ahh man, good thing we are back to talking some football...Can't wait for the B&G Game!!

GO IRISH!!!

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think they can play them both, sort of like vs LSU? At least to start the season. I fear that if you start EG and he struggles, then you pull him, he is done (mentally) for the yr. The thing for me is, I expect ND to actually run the ball this yr. The OL has been getting some good praise for their job, and we seem to have the RB to make this happen. If we can run, the deep passing game with the speed on the outside is going to be unstoppable!! Ahh man, good thing we are back to talking some football...Can't wait for the B&G Game!!

GO IRISH!!!
I expect ND to be able to run the ball every year with the talent we've been getting under BK.

Problem is we have a pass-happy coach who totally abandons the running game way too early in every stinkin game ... especially those games ND starts falling behind early. Kelly goes into a pseudo-panic mode and calls crazy plays. This is his last year here IMO if he doesn't have his team ready to play at kickoff time.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I think he wants both QBs and wants Golson to say as insurance. Some what selfish but I agree with it.
I don't view it as selfish at all. I view the player who wants to transfer because they might not get exactly what they want when they want it as selfish. Kelly and his staff have been more than fair to Golson. A starter shouldn't be named until fall, that's just the wise thing to do.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly has stated that this is the most physical Oline he has had and the talent at RB is high so we better run the ball. MZ would also give us a running threat . Should be fun. Kelly has to go 10-2 or better this year. No reason we can have a great season.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect ND to be able to run the ball every year with the talent we've been getting under BK.

Problem is we have a pass-happy coach who totally abandons the running game way too early in every stinkin game ... especially those games ND starts falling behind early. Kelly goes into a pseudo-panic mode and calls crazy plays. This is his last year here IMO if he doesn't have his team ready to play at kickoff time.

Could not agree more! But, is BK calling the shots this yr, or is the new guy (I can't remember his name)? The new OC likes to run the ball. BK can have his input, but you need to let new guy run the show.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not what I've seen and read, with all due respect. EG has by far been the most polished QB in the off season practices...and it isn't close. Not surprising though.

But with that said, it's apples and oranges. One has a skill set the other doesn't, and vise versa. I love MZ because of the fast first, down hill style he'll bring to the offense. EG slings it much better, but what I've seen from actual games doesn't see or throw over the middle well.

It'll be interesting and nice to have both options. BK and staff will figure it out. Just don't turn the ball over plus keep the D off the field...all will be good in '15. Establish the run then control the ball.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring game is tomorrow at 12:30. Will be live on NBCSN. I'm looking forward to seeing what these QBs are looking like right now. Also excited to see Tillery's first live action.