• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Week 2 Top 25 DiscussionThread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Across The Field doesn't include ND in his top 25 but has Michigan 12th? Lol. We certainly might not be a top 25 team, but to have a team we handled pretty easily at 12 is somewhat interesting.
That was my bad. Meant to plug them in at 10 at everyone else should be down a slot after. Sorry Sun Devils, better luck next week.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my bad. Meant to plug them in at 10 at everyone else should be down a slot after. Sorry Sun Devils, better luck next week.

Michigan 13th?

Fucking retard.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I moved MSU out not because they lost to ASU but because they lost to ASU AND needed a late TD to beat Utah St at home. Polls are tough this time of year because we dont actially lnow what's a good win or a bad loss. Were just guessing really. Like lots of people moved VT way up based on winning in Tallahassee but that win looks far less impressive now. Things should clear up by week 6 or 7
Utah State ain't bad at all. JMO.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah State ain't bad at all. JMO.
I agree. They're likely a 6-7 win team but ask yourself does beating a decent MWC team at home and losing to a decent P12 team in the road make you deserving of being ranked? The only reason to rank MSU at this point would be based on preseason expectations which is probably still ok for a few more weeks as long as there arent more deserving teams, which I think there are

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are plenty of good teams.

Houston should be in the top 25. They're better than Texas A&M. And no blemishes on their record. Took me like 5 seconds to do that.

<useful smilie wrench thing>

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. They're likely a 6-7 win team but ask yourself does beating a decent MWC team at home and losing to a decent P12 team in the road make you deserving of being ranked? The only reason to rank MSU at this point would be based on preseason expectations which is probably still ok for a few more weeks as long as there arent more deserving teams, which I think there are
I agree with you. MSU probably doesn't deserve much of a ranking right now based off those.

But neither do a lot of other ranked teams that have played two games against teams that aren't near as good as Utah State and Arizona State. Hell, some of those ranked teams have played games against opponents that don't even have a pulse.

Early rankings = stupid.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. MSU probably doesn't deserve much of a ranking right now based off those.

But neither do a lot of other ranked teams that have played two games against teams that aren't near as good as Utah State and Arizona State. Hell, some of those ranked teams have played games against opponents that don't even have a pulse.

Early rankings = stupid.
Sure. I think preseason rankings are dumb and moving teams up or down based on games played vs teams who we doht even know are good or bad is also dumb .

That said they're going nowhere si I think you just need to be as consistent as you can when implementing how you rank them

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from you these days, that insult means nothing.
Well he's the self-appointed SportsHoopla Poll Potentate so, yeah....

In Michigan's defense, they DID lose to a top ten team ON THE ROAD by a touchdown.

Washington lost to Aub by 5 at a "neutral site" and can still pull down an average ranking of 11th or so...
giphy.gif

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he's the self-appointed SportsHoopla Poll Potentate so, yeah....

In Michigan's defense, they DID lose to a top ten team ON THE ROAD by a touchdown.

Washington lost to Aub by 5 at a neutral site and can still pull down an average ranking of 11th or so...
giphy.gif

:rolleyes2:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from you these days, that insult means nothing.

Ok guy who was trying to claim the Big10 was the best conference in college football and still probably can't figure out the Big10 had bowl games stacked in their favor.

And still your so called #13 team lost in them.

And what have they don't this year that says #13? Not a damn thing.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok guy who was trying to claim the Big10 was the best conference in college football and still probably can't figure out the Big10 had bowl games stacked in their favor.

And you didn’t care when the bowls were stacked in the SEC’s favor. And with the exception of Kentucky and Northwestern, they were all playing teams that finished similarly in their respective conferences.

That said, Michigan at 13 is way too high.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you didn’t care when the bowls were stacked in the SEC’s favor. And with the exception of Kentucky and Northwestern, they were all playing teams that finished similarly in their respective conferences.

That said, Michigan at 13 is way too high.

When were the bowl games stacked in the SEC's favor? The SEC has sent a team to the playoffs every year so far, and then before that to the BCSNCG for basically all the later years.

It's when you have teams that don't make the NCG and playoffs that the bowl pecking order gets stacked.

There are individual games and such, but as a whole when a conference puts a team into the playoffs, then it doesn't put their top teams in their top bowls etc. Take Auburn for example - on the one hand I would say they had what should have been an easier matchup. But at the same time, that was still the #3 SEC team playing in the SEC's #1 bowl. Meanwhile you had Ohio St in the Rose Bowl, but then that lined up because the Pac12 also put the #1 team in against them etc.

Of course, the Big12 and ACC both started 1 down. And then the Big10 the prior year when Ohio St went - 1 down, etc.

Still with the SEC down 2, Michigan lost to South Carolina. Which was last year and all that - but what have they done this year that warrants a top15 spot is my point.

And yes, people should recognize the match up differences and adjust accordingly. The Big10 also played a bunch of Pac12 teams(which were even matchups, except they are Pac12 teams). I personally don't think it's a coincidence I said the Big10 was over-hyped because of this stuff, everyone talking about the Big10's bowl records to hype, and then they come out looking over-hyped.

:noidea:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Calm the fuck down. After last season, every single person who said the B1G was the best conference was justified in doing so. Bowl games stacked in their favor? Fuck off. For years the B1G had games stacked against them, both in location and conference seeding, so if anything, last year might have been an effort to level the field. Man, you used to be smart and not such a fag. Did your wife take over your account and only posts when she's deep in her monthly or something?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When were the bowl games stacked in the SEC's favor? The SEC has sent a team to the playoffs every year so far, and then before that to the BCSNCG for basically all the later years.

It's when you have teams that don't make the NCG and playoffs that the bowl pecking order gets stacked.

There are individual games and such, but as a whole when a conference puts a team into the playoffs, then it doesn't put their top teams in their top bowls etc. Take Auburn for example - on the one hand I would say they had what should have been an easier matchup. But at the same time, that was still the #3 SEC team playing in the SEC's #1 bowl. Meanwhile you had Ohio St in the Rose Bowl, but then that lined up because the Pac12 also put the #1 team in against them etc.

Of course, the Big12 and ACC both started 1 down. And then the Big10 the prior year when Ohio St went - 1 down, etc.

Still with the SEC down 2, Michigan lost to South Carolina. Which was last year and all that - but what have they done this year that warrants a top15 spot is my point.

And yes, people should recognize the match up differences and adjust accordingly. The Big10 also played a bunch of Pac12 teams(which were even matchups, except they are Pac12 teams). I personally don't think it's a coincidence I said the Big10 was over-hyped because of this stuff, everyone talking about the Big10's bowl records to hype, and then they come out looking over-hyped.

:noidea:

I've chronicled it for the last 5 years or so, and more times than not the SEC is at a disadvantage in terms of pecking order in conference.

For example in 2013 Iowa finished 4th in the B1G, were unranked heading into their bowl game against the 5th place finisher of the SEC, but 14th ranked nationally, LSU. SEC has the advantage, but only because the B1G wasn't any good. If all things were created equal, the B1G had the favorable matchup.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm the fuck down. After last season, every single person who said the B1G was the best conference was justified in doing so. Bowl games stacked in their favor? Fuck off. For years the B1G had games stacked against them, both in location and conference seeding, so if anything, last year might have been an effort to level the field. Man, you used to be smart and not such a fag. Did your wife take over your account and only posts when she's deep in her monthly or something?

Location is a lame excuse when even your own conference doesn't want to play geographically within it's own footprint. And your other statement about seeding isn't correct either.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've chronicled it for the last 5 years or so, and more times than not the SEC is at a disadvantage in terms of pecking order in conference.

For example in 2013 Iowa finished 4th in the B1G, were unranked heading into their bowl game against the 5th place finisher of the SEC, but 14th ranked nationally, LSU. SEC has the advantage, but only because the B1G wasn't any good. If all things were created equal, the B1G had the favorable matchup.
Oh have you, Dr. Jones?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Location is a lame excuse when even your own conference doesn't want to play geographically within it's own footprint. And your other statement about seeding isn't correct either.
Not talking about cold weather/warm weather. Talking about playing Pac 12 teams in 1-2x in CA and 2-3x SEC teams in Florida/other SEC states every year. Our teams are traveling across the country while our opponents are, oftentimes, playing in their own back yard.