• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 7 Discussion Thread

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t say team. I said offense. You would not shut Texas’ offense down and again, it’s clear you did not watch the game. I have no idea whether I’d trade defenses with Wisconsin because I haven’t seen them play an offense that can actually do anything.

I love conversing with people who are as much a homer as I am. I have a predictor model that measures the difference in yardages by your opponent and what they normally do. One of the things that shows up is relative strengths of teams. If your opponent averages 500 yards/ game of offense and you hold them to 300 yards, you are awarded a 60% rating. You can take it from there. I haven't done it this year but will before Oct 26. It os a better predictor with more data points.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t say team. I said offense. You would not shut Texas’ offense down and again, it’s clear you did not watch the game. I have no idea whether I’d trade defenses with Wisconsin because I haven’t seen them play an offense that can actually do anything.
You don't know if the defense that's surrendered three first half points in six games is good? That's quite the hot take. I have Oklahoma above us, but you are insane if you think your defense is as good as ours.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas was "completely and utterly shut down" to the tune of 27 points and 310 yards????

OU played good defense, and at times great defense.

But, lets not pretend 4 touchdowns and 300 yards of offense is somehow being the 1985 Bears.

27 points is 27 points. The job of the defense is to stop teams from scoring points.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love conversing with people who are as much a homer as I am. I have a predictor model that measures the difference in yardages by your opponent and what they normally do. One of the things that shows up is relative strengths of teams. If your opponent averages 500 yards/ game of offense and you hold them to 300 yards, you are awarded a 60% rating. You can take it from there. I haven't done it this year but will before Oct 26. It os a better predictor with more data points.

I’ll be curious to look at it at the end of the season. Oklahoma is very much in transition defensively so believe it or not I expect their numbers to improve as they continue deeper into big 12 play. We’ll see if it actually plays out that way.

That being said, one thing that is hurting their overall numbers is Grinch is rotating a ton of players in trying to build depth. That seems to have resulted in some cheap garbage time yards and points.

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One team had 9 sacks and allowed 27 points. Another team had 2 sacks and allowed zero points.

Great defense? Only in the Big XII can giving up 27 points be considered great defense.

One team played the #11 team with the 35th ranked offense.

The other team played an unranked team with the 91st ranked offense.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know if the defense that's surrendered three first half points in six games is good? That's quite the hot take. I have Oklahoma above us, but you are insane if you think your defense is as good as ours.

That is the most amazing statistic about our defense. The 1st half is when the starters play. With the blowouts we've had, we are into the 3-4 deep in the second half. Northwestern is the only outlier and the defense score 2 of Wisconsin's 3 TDs.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oklahoma hasn’t allowed any points in the first quarter except for one game this season. Only allowed three to Texas in the first half yesterday. Again, I have no idea how good your defense is because you haven’t played an offense with a pulse.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas was "completely and utterly shut down" to the tune of 27 points and 310 yards????

OU played good defense, and at times great defense.

But, lets not pretend 4 touchdowns and 300 yards of offense is somehow being the 1985 Bears.

27 points is 27 points. The job of the defense is to stop teams from scoring points.

Well when the defense has to stop the opposing offense and the refs. Don’t act like you don’t owe 10 points to Mike Defee.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll be curious to look at it at the end of the season. Oklahoma is very much in transition defensively so believe it or not I expect their numbers to improve as they continue deeper into big 12 play. We’ll see if it actually plays out that way.

That being said, one thing that is hurting their overall numbers is Grinch is rotating a ton of players in trying to build depth. That seems to have resulted in some cheap garbage time yards and points.

Do you understand defense and the principles in rotating people in? You need the depth because D is reactionary and tiring, especially on the front 7 after playing for a drive that isn't a 3 and out. You rotate them in to keep them fresh and maintain high energy. Teams have been doing it for years, that's why the backup DLine players usually play about 30% or so of the D snaps. If he's trying to build depth now, he's too late.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you understand defense and the principles in rotating people in? You need the depth because D is reactionary and tiring, especially on the front 7 after playing for a drive that isn't a 3 and out. You rotate them in to keep them fresh and maintain high energy. Teams have been doing it for years, that's why the backup DLine players usually play about 30% or so of the D snaps. If he's trying to build depth now, he's too late.

Yes. I 100% understand that. It’s the previous regime that didn’t and that’s why we’re going through some growing pains trying to develop it now.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One team played the #11 team with the 35th ranked offense.

The other team played an unranked team with the 91st ranked offense.

I understand that. It is why I am working on that system

Mind you, the lower the number the better the rating. In the Texas game, OU had a rating of 55.3. They gave up 55.3% of Texas' yearly average. Against Mich St, Wisconsin had a rating of 38.3. They gave up 38.3% of Michigan st yearly average. This is just a bare bones example. There are quite a few modifiers to be applied.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I 100% understand that. It’s the previous regime that didn’t and that’s why we’re going through some growing pains trying to develop it now.

What the hell did they do when they were romping thru their first 4 or 5 games?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell did they do when they were romping thru their first 4 or 5 games?

That’s what I was referring to in my initial post you quoted.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
01. Ohio State Buckeyes (6-0)
02. Wisconsin Badgers (6-0)
03. L.S.U. Tigers (6-0)
04. Penn State Nittany Lions (6-0)
05. Alabama Crimson Tide (6-0)
06. Clemson Tigers (6-0)
07. Oklahoma Sooners (6-0)
08. Boise State Broncos (6-0)
09. S.M.U. Mustangs (6-0)
10. Baylor Bears (6-0)
11. Minnesota Golden Gophers (6-0)
12. Florida Gators (6-1)
13. Auburn Tigers (5-1)
14. Georgia Bulldogs (5-1)
15. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (5-1)
16. Cincinnati Bearcats (5-1)
17. Oregon Ducks (5-1)
18. Mizzou Tigers (5-1)
19. App. State Mountaineers (5-0)
20. Michigan Wolverines (5-1)
21. Tulane Green Wave (5-1)
22. Ariz. State Sun Devils (5-1)
23. Utah Utes (5-1)
24. Temple Owls (5-1)
25. San Diego State Aztecs (5-1)

Besides the bold and a few switcharoo's at the top, this doesn't even look that bad lol @78Cyclones

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma hasn’t allowed any points in the first quarter except for one game this season. Only allowed three to Texas in the first half yesterday. Again, I have no idea how good your defense is because you haven’t played an offense with a pulse.

You gave up more points against Houston than we have all season. If it was so easy to give up 29 points in six games, someone would have done it since 1993. And even those 29 are a misnomer since all but three were in garbage time. Maybe they struggle against OSU or maybe they don't, but let's not act like what we have done is normal or unimpressive because of the weak competition. It's the most numerically impressive start to a season in any of these player's lifetimes.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a little surprised that people seem to unanimously have LSU ahead of Oklahoma. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining as I think there’s arguments to be had both ways. LSU has definitely played a toughe schedule beating Texas in their own house and Florida who looks like a top 15 team.

However, Oklahoma physically dominated their common opponent in Texas. The differences in defensive performances were glaring. Especially in the ability to beat the OL and get to Elingher. The secondary performances were night and day different too. The game really wasn’t as close as the score indicated.

Again, it’s all semantics and I can see both arguments. Just a bit surprised it seems to be unanimous.

I’d be shocked if anyone outside of maybe a complete homer would ever even halfway consider OU over LSU in the rankings at this point. OU looks good no doubt. The defense has improved and the offense is its typically explosive self. This seems crazy to say but LSU’s offense is even more explosive. OU beat Texas by 7 at a neutral site. LSU beat them by 7 as well but on the road. Then they turned around and beat #7 Florida on the road by 14. Fuckin’ A that is beyond impressive. We’ll see how they close things out as their slate is the usual kick you in the balls SEC West schedule. Still plenty of opportunities for them to stumble but damn they look solid so far with that new look offense.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your defense is giving up 4 point something points per game. I say overrated.

Seriously though I am excited to see the schedule get tougher for Wisky cuz outside of that Northwestern game you guys look lights out. And truthfully it gets tiring to see Ohio State dominate the conference. Let’s get some new blood in there. Would love to see the Badgers win the BIG.

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d be shocked if anyone outside of maybe a complete homer would ever even halfway consider OU over LSU in the rankings at this point. OU looks good no doubt. The defense has improved and the offense is its typically explosive self. This seems crazy to say but LSU’s offense is even more explosive. OU beat Texas by 7 at a neutral site. LSU beat them by 7 as well but on the road. Then they turned around and beat #7 Florida on the road by 14. Fuckin’ A that is beyond impressive. We’ll see how they close things out as their slate is the usual kick you in the balls SEC West schedule. Still plenty of opportunities for them to stumble but damn they look solid so far with that new look offense.

LSU played Florida in Baton Rouge.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They played Florida at home.