• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 week 6 voting

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rank Team
1 LSU
2 Oklahoma
3 Alabama
4 Boise State
5 Wisconsin
6 Oklahoma State
7 Standford
8 Clemson
9 Georgia Tech
10 Houston
11 Illinois
12 Kansas State
13 Michigan
14 Oregon
15 Arkansas
16 Virginia Tech
17 South Carolina
18 Nebraska
19 Texas
20 Michigan State
21 West Virginia
22 Penn State
23 North Carolina
24 Baylor
25 Arizona State

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. LSU (1)
2. Alabama (3)
3. Oklahoma (4)
4. Wisconsin (2)
5. Stanford (5)

6. Oklahoma State (8)
7. Clemson (6)
8. Kansas State (15)
9. Boise State (7)
10. Georgia Tech (11)

11. Michigan (10)
12. Arkansas (14)
13. Illinois (12)
14. West Virginia (16)
15. Oregon (13)

16. Arizona State (18)
17. South Carolina (20)
18. Virginia Tech (22)
19. Houston (25)
20. Nebraska (17)

21. Texas (10)
22. Baylor (24)
23. Penn State (ur)
24. North Carolina (ur)
25. Notre Dame (ur)

dropped from rankings: Texas Tech, Florida, Auburn

Some explanations:

-#2-4 are all toss ups to me and could all easily be in that spot
-West Virginia (when going back and looking over it was underranked by me last week
-Oregon has put up numbers but is just not as impressive as people seem to think they are, this week will be a big test
-Tajh Boyd looks like he is not injured as bad as once thought
- It is a crap shoot from 23 on, but the three teams that I ranked have been trending upwards. Georgia and Wake Forest are also on the brink,

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not talking about any person in general but I have to ask

why is everyone so high on West Virginia??????

they have only played one good opponent all year and got destroyed by them, they also struggled with a pretty bad Maryland team.

West Virginia also has the deadly problem that has caused TCU to have two losses so far, they can't play a complete 4 quarters. only reason why TCU has more losses is because TCU has played two teams that are at least decent while West Virginia has only played one.

edit: LOL!!! I just realized I'm criticizing a teams high ranking right after 46and2 posted his ballot again :L , sorry 46, you must feel like I hate you or something.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they have only played one good opponent all year and got destroyed by them, they also struggled with a pretty bad Maryland team.

West Virginia also has the deadly problem that has caused TCU to have two losses so far, they can't play a complete 4 quarters. only reason why TCU has more losses is because TCU has played two teams that are at least decent while West Virginia has only played one.

edit: LOL!!! I just realized I'm criticizing a teams high ranking right after 46and2 posted his ballot again :L , sorry 46, you must feel like I hate you or something.

If you think that West Virginia got destroyed by LSU, but Oregon played them close, you are either not paying attention or completely blinded by some kind of hatred.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think that West Virginia got destroyed by LSU, but Oregon played them close, you are either not paying attention or completely blinded by some kind of hatred.

Oregon got dominated but not destroyed, Oregon at least hung around for a half, West Virginia was dominated since the game started.

BTW, when did I ever say Oregon played them close??? only OregonDucks would say something like that.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon got dominated but not destroyed, Oregon at least hung around for a half, West Virginia was dominated since the game started.

BTW, when did I ever say Oregon played them close??? only OregonDucks would say something like that.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree. You see things one way, and I see things the right way. No worries.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are just going to have to agree to disagree. You see things one way, and I see things the right way. No worries.

I guess so, sir

feels like we disagree on almost every topic now.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess so, sir

feels like we disagree on almost every topic now.

I have a feeling that our ballots will look much more similar toward the end of the season but things are very fluid right now and need to shake out. West Virginia was very impressive this past weekend against UConn. They were within a touchdown of LSU at the end of the third quarter. They put up 533 yards of offense against THAT LSU defense. That is not getting destoryed in my book.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

West Virginia has only played 1 good team and they are 1 of the top 3 teams in the country right now. So, being destroyed isn't a bad thing, but to base everything off of that one game isn't fair. Also, there has to be someone from the BE, doesn't there?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that our ballots will look much more similar toward the end of the season but things are very fluid right now and need to shake out. West Virginia was very impressive this past weekend against UConn. They were within a touchdown of LSU at the end of the third quarter. They put up 533 yards of offense against THAT LSU defense. That is not getting destoryed in my book.

yeah you're right, sir, right now our opinions can vary long and wide, but I have a feeling we may disagree on West Virginia all year because that really is the only game we can base them on because they don't play any other good teams. Uconn game doesn't impress me for two reasons, one it was 10-9 at the half which again shows that West Virginia can't play a full game, two UConn has lost to Western Michigan and some other joke team. The only thing that has impressed me with West Virginia is their ability to score in packs. They may have put up 533 yards, but if they can't score it doesn't mean all that much, if they turn it over or can't convert in the redzone it shows they aren't very good, perfect example is Utah, they have redzone and turnover issues so while they're talented those problems don't go away and causes them to have times where they play great then collapse.

West Virginia has only played 1 good team and they are 1 of the top 3 teams in the country right now. So, being destroyed isn't a bad thing, but to base everything off of that one game isn't fair. Also, there has to be someone from the BE, doesn't there?

but blowing a big lead to only win by 3 against Maryland doesn't help their cause. Only the BCS thinks there has to be, plus I'm sure West Virginia fans will be happy I'm not ranking West Virginia at the moment, because when I did finally rank a Big East team they got blown out 44-17 by a mediocre Pitt team.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still tough to tell at this point; WVU hasn't played a heck of a lot of good competition. The LSU game was a lot closer than the final score, but IMO the teams from Stanford back are still a little unknown.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will learn a lot as the season progresses, but as BSU27 mentioned, some teams have no tests left. WVU may be one of those teams, though Rutgers and Pitt have potential. With the drop off at TCU, Boise's season is likely done and they will have to wait and see. Clemson, GT, Stanford and WiscOnsin all have work left that can impress people. In the end, our ballots will all look similar, most likely but as I have said before at this point we rank things differently.

I put a lot of emphasis on what has been done, whereas BSU27 projects a lot more than me. I see a 6-0 Michigan and I see a 6-0 Michigan. He sees a 6-0 Michigan, thinks of last season and the year before and sees an eventual 7-5 Michigan. Neither is right or wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will learn a lot as the season progresses, but as BSU27 mentioned, some teams have no tests left. WVU may be one of those teams, though Rutgers and Pitt have potential. With the drop off at TCU, Boise's season is likely done and they will have to wait and see. Clemson, GT, Stanford and WiscOnsin all have work left that can impress people. In the end, our ballots will all look similar, most likely but as I have said before at this point we rank things differently.

I put a lot of emphasis on what has been done, whereas BSU27 projects a lot more than me. I see a 6-0 Michigan and I see a 6-0 Michigan. He sees a 6-0 Michigan, thinks of last season and the year before and sees an eventual 7-5 Michigan. Neither is right or wrong.

Good points all around; from my personal stand point, I tend to adopt more of a "power ranking" method than projections. That being said, I do somewhat prognosticate as to where I think the team will end up, but I place a lot more emphasis on what the team has done up to that point against the competition on the schedule. IMO, the transitive property is only valid as a tie-breaker (teams share a common opponent, have similar records, stats, etc etc.), but the beauty of rankings is that in a poll like ours, everyone has their own system with its inherent flaws and strengths.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

very good points sir

but like I mentioned in the poll on the first page, I watched Michigan play and I definitely did not see a top 15 team playing, they were absolutely horrible, the only reason Northwestern was ever in that game was because Michigan kept them in the game, their box score legend Denard Robinson was horrible his recievers were as open as they could get all game yet he still over threw and overthrew most of them, and even threw 3 picks doing so, but he somehow showed up in the player of the week category because his stats looked good in the box score. Michigan is the anti-Georgia, while Georgia looks bad in the box score yet plays good, Michigan looks great in the box score yet actually sucks when they play. If you saw Michigan play Saturday you would agree with me.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I is putting together my program right now. Poll will take offense, defense, strength of schedule, and record into account.

I'm about half way through, and looking at the statistics.........I believe this is going to be quite the twist!

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that took a lot of dadburned time, and this is how it ended up. Don't get pissed at me if you don't like where your team is..........I didn't rank it, the computer did!

Again, this weighs offensive production, defensive production, who those teams were able to do that against, and finally wins and losses. Absolutely no human bias in this poll...........

1. LSU
2. Oklahoma
3. Boise State
4. Alabama
5. Clemson
6. Stanford
7. Michigan
8. Wisconsin
9. Arizona State
10. Oregon
11. Oklahoma State
12. South Carolina
13. Illinois
14. Florida
15. Texas
16. Arkansas
17. Georgia Tech
18. West Virginia
19. Kansas State
20. Georgia
21. Rutgers
22. Virginia Tech
23. Texas A&M
24. Notre Dame
25. Nebraska

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that took a lot of dadburned time, and this is how it ended up. Don't get pissed at me if you don't like where your team is..........I didn't rank it, the computer did!

Again, this weighs offensive production, defensive production, who those teams were able to do that against, and finally wins and losses. Absolutely no human bias in this poll.

Every computer ranking carries bias. Not toward certain teams based on name and preconceived opinions, maybe... but you decided which stats you felt were most important and how they should be weighted.

I do like it better than rankings where team bias is so prevalent... but bias is impossible to avoid.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I can see what you mean. But I can't see what other statistical category I could use besides defensive and offensive production.

If you're a team that is winning without producing on offense or defense, then you are probably a very lucky team. And this program is going to figure that out. If you're a team that is winning because of offense, then you're gonna be ranked well because you have a top-tier offense, and this program will figure that out. Vice versa with defense.

Idk, it's the best I can possibly do with determining which statistics should be used. As you can see, my team is ranked #25, so I wasn't biased with which categories I should base it on.

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I can see what you mean. But I can't see what other statistical category I could use besides defensive and offensive production.

If you're a team that is winning without producing on offense or defense, then you are probably a very lucky team. And this program is going to figure that out. If you're a team that is winning because of offense, then you're gonna be ranked well because you have a top-tier offense, and this program will figure that out. Vice versa with defense.

Idk, it's the best I can possibly do with determining which statistics should be used. As you can see, my team is ranked #25, so I wasn't biased with which categories I should base it on.

Did special teams factor in? Those aren't really luck. If your team starts from the 40 every drive, and someone else starts from the 15..... you don't need as much offense. Likewise, if your opponents are starting at the 15 and someone else's opponents are starting at the 40, you don't need to hold teams to as few yards.

Turnovers? Those are sometimes about luck, but not usually. And they make a bigger difference than almost anything else.