• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 2 2015

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn y'all. Give the kid a break. He's entitled to his opinion. Let him post his poll.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those guesses are better than the crap you posted. Because it's not just a random guess that people are making. They are educated guesses.

And if you think otherwise, let's see you put your money where your mouth is. Your poll vs mine, all offseason AVI bet, the person who has the most teams in their original top25 that are ranked at the end of the year wins.

We can also count the number of spots missed by for a better measure.

They will undoubtedly end up being better guesses by seasons end but rankings are meant to correlate to what a team has accomplished thus far

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will undoubtedly end up being better guesses by seasons end but rankings are meant to correlate to what a team has accomplished thus far

No, they are better guesses NOW, and it would be proven at the end of the year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn y'all. Give the kid a break. He's entitled to his opinion. Let him post his poll.

His poll counted, he's welcome to it. Some people didn't like my poll either.

It's all averages so his individual poll is not a big deal overall.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they are better guesses NOW, and it would be proven at the end of the year.

We dont need to guess now, we have results to base rankings off of. Limited results of course but still results. Sorry if you dont think a road win over Nebraska is a better result than giving up 42 to Eastern Washington but I actually do think it is. Rankings are supposed to be based on what a team has accomplished. A lot of people think you are just supposed to rank teams based off who you think is better ( that is how we ended up with Bama in the title game over OK State ) but to me I see no reason to do that. Ill just go by who youve beat, where you beat them and how close the game really was. Thats easier and far more fair. As stated in my OP the rankings will change HUGE over the first few weeks ( why I said BYU wasnt long for their spot ) because as more results come in and conference play starts we will have a better result base to go off of. Why is that disturbing to you?? Its just another way to rank team, probably the way it should actually be done in fact

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its cool B4L, Im happy to answer questions on it. Most people are going to disagree because thats not how its done traditionally and that is fine ( not even the way I myself normally do it ), just thought itd be cool to see how it changes as the year goes on. Evidently it has caused a commotion. LOL

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont need to guess now, we have results to base rankings off of. Limited results of course but still results. Sorry if you dont think a road win over Nebraska is a better result than giving up 42 to Eastern Washington but I actually do think it is. Rankings are supposed to be based on what a team has accomplished. A lot of people think you are just supposed to rank teams based off who you think is better ( that is how we ended up with Bama in the title game over OK State ) but to me I see no reason to do that. Ill just go by who youve beat, where you beat them and how close the game really was. Thats easier and far more fair. As stated in my OP the rankings will change HUGE over the first few weeks ( why I said BYU wasnt long for their spot ) because as more results come in and conference play starts we will have a better result base to go off of. Why is that disturbing to you?? Its just another way to rank team, probably the way it should actually be done in fact

Do you understand what an educated guess is?

And btw, that is not how we end up with Bama in the title game over OK State, since at 1 point Ok St was ranked ahead of Alabama - until they lost to a crappy Iowa St team.

And as I already said - the problem isn't that you are doing it - I did close to the exact same thing. The problem is you are absolutely clueless when it comes to being able to accurate judge anything.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you understand what an educated guess is?

And btw, that is not how we end up with Bama in the title game over OK State, since at 1 point Ok St was ranked ahead of Alabama - until they lost to a crappy Iowa St team.

And as I already said - the problem isn't that you are doing it - I did close to the exact same thing. The problem is you are absolutely clueless when it comes to being able to accurate judge anything.

You dont need an educated guess 4d... you have data now. A guess is whats done preseason. Any way you dont like it, cool. Im 100% OK with that. As I said itll change a ton over the next few weeks as more data comes in

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont need an educated guess 4d... you have data now. A guess is whats done preseason. Any way you dont like it, cool. Im 100% OK with that. As I said itll change a ton over the next few weeks as more data comes in

No, you don't have data.

Look, I ran a computer rankings system and you never use only 1 weeks of data because the results are the most worthless rankings you could ever produce.

I used the previous seasons data to make up the difference until a team has a minimum of 4 games of data on the current season. Even at 4 games the data only is somewhat screwy at times, just barely enough data overall to get a somewhat decent picture.

And I had to put effort into writing all the code that went back into previous seasons to get data - because it's that damn important. And while things change from year to year, it's actually only a small amount of change overall, and the good teams generally stay good teams.

The hardest part of using actual data for a formula is that there aren't enough games in the season, much less using just a single week of data.

An educated guess has a high chance of being right. A single week of data has almost no chance of being right towards anything. In fact, no matter if you admit or not, the only good parts of your rankings was the parts where you did exactly what you are saying you didn't and applied that bias to those teams. Otherwise, there is no way in hell you could have put TCU #1. It would have been some team like Ole Miss #1 because they blew out some scrub.

In short, bullshit.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@24seven has done this in the past, some people complained and I always stuck up for him and enjoyed his polls.

And I even did the same thing to some degree this year, but not 100%.

But your problem is - you don't even know what the quality wins are, when a team struggled and when they didn't and your overall assessment of the teams is just terrible.

So damn ironic...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you don't have data.

Look, I ran a computer rankings system and you never use only 1 weeks of data because the results are the most worthless rankings you could ever produce.

I used the previous seasons data to make up the difference until a team has a minimum of 4 games of data on the current season. Even at 4 games the data only is somewhat screwy at times, just barely enough data overall to get a somewhat decent picture.

And I had to put effort into writing all the code that went back into previous seasons to get data - because it's that damn important. And while things change from year to year, it's actually only a small amount of change overall, and the good teams generally stay good teams.

The hardest part of using actual data for a formula is that there aren't enough games in the season, much less using just a single week of data.

An educated guess has a high chance of being right. A single week of data has almost no chance of being right towards anything. In fact, no matter if you admit or not, the only good parts of your rankings was the parts where you did exactly what you are saying you didn't and applied that bias to those teams. Otherwise, there is no way in hell you could have put TCU #1. It would have been some team like Ole Miss #1 because they blew out some scrub.

In short, bullshit.

I agree, thats why I said that preseason polls and frankly any poll before week 6 or 7 is worthless. That said IF there are going to be polls then I will use limited data as opposed to nasing it off last year or hyputhesis because both of those are just guesswork too ( even if it is an educated guess ). Just trying it a different way 4D. Itll all work out in the end where mine looks about the same as yours so its really no big deal

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a 7 point home win over a Michigan team that is well outside the top 25, in a game where the MI QB missed like six open deep TD passes and threw a pick six, is worthy of a jump to 20?

People bitch about weak OOC scheduling but then they reward shitty wins while punishing losses against great teams. There is simply no way in hell Utah played better than we did last week, nor is there any way in hell they played like a top 20 team.

I did not rank Utah but Wisconsin did get pummeled so at least until it becomes obvious that Alabama is still the same team they always are Wisconsin drops

I personally didn't rank a single team with a loss since it's week one

eventually both teams will get their dues

I will defend Utah by saying they too made a ton of dumb errors to keep Michigan in the same, and played a very conservative offense to help keep them in the game as well

Utah better open up the play book in Pac-12 play or they're going to struggle

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exactly did Notre Dame get up to 3rd?

I didn't think they were ranked that highly in everyones polls

Though for now no real reason to disagree with it

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exactly did Notre Dame get up to 3rd?

I didn't think they were ranked that highly in everyones polls

Though for now no real reason to disagree with it
17 of 31 people had them in the top 5 compared to just 13 for TCU. Also, ND's lowest ranking was 12th....TCU's was 17th.