• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

sox vs cubs!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely in one of his zones he gets into.

We'll see. Ride it while we can, I suppose. He'll be back to sticking his ass out and swinging with no legs before we know it.

For a week, he's made me eat my words. Small sample size is a small sample size, though. Didn't see me claiming I was right all along when he was shitty the first week or two.

All time Sox record for HRs in 2 games (5)

Sox have 27 HRs in last 7 games, a new all time major league record

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Incredible.

It's like it is normal for us to just constantly be hitting home runs. lol

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incredible.

It's like it is normal for us to just constantly be hitting home runs. lol

There's some credible rumors they juiced the balls up even more, for obvious reasons.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abreu has more often than not in his career with the Sox gotten off to slow starts, so you were wise not to say "I told you so" early on. Sure, he'll have his hot-n-cold streaks thruout this shortened season, but as usual, when it's all over, you can count on him leading the Good Guys in ribbies, in 1st or 2nd with dingers, and top three in doubles and runs scored. Money.

I don't know about that. His March/April are pretty much right in the middle of his other monthly splits. Not the best, not the worst. This is still the "start" of the season as well and he has possibly never been hotter.

José Abreu Career Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

I mean, we've been terrible during Jose's tenure here. Your first baseman should be contending to do that for your team every season. With these horrible losing teams he has been on? He damn well better be.

He is what he is. A middling to above average MLB first baseman - who becomes "okay to decent" due to his ability to almost always be healthy and ALWAYS be that. Heck, only really ever failing to be that guy in one season. I give credit there - it's valuable. I'll gladly admit, I thought he was destined for superstardom during that amazing rookie season. It didn't happen, though. There have been small bursts (2017 was damn good), but... otherwise? Eh.

Nothing more, nothing less. "Solid"

The end of the day does tell the story. We can agree there. His past two seasons he's been a 1.2 and 1.9 WAR first baseman (fangraphs). That is by definition "okay" (1.2 is borderline ugly, but it was his worst year, so I will look past it and digress). His 5.0 WAR season is drifting further and further away from us. He's descending into a landing.

And we just gave him 50 mil over 3 years (emphasis on 3 years, is my concern). A guy entering his mid-30's who is 15th in WAR among first baseman over the past two seasons?

A guy whose production has been surpassed by half of the first baseman in baseball over the past two seasons?

And we're all thrilled? Because of one good week? Okay...

Look, I don't think it will really hurt us. I'm sure he'll hold his own and not be total dead weight in years 2 and 3. But we could have done better. We could have given him a one year deal while we wait on Vaughn.

FWIW, I hate this debate, because I like Abreu. But I'm a hard data/facts guy and you all know this by now.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's some credible rumors they juiced the balls up even more, for obvious reasons.

Have HR's been up on the whole? I haven't heard anything on that.

And I mean, most of HR's are freakin no doubters. lol. Only a few would have been helped by a juiced ball.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about a great White Sox with tremendous Hot and Cold streaks I'm looking at Paulie Konerko. Abreu is a model of consistancy compared to Paulie.

The key for Jose Abreu is he is in great shape this season - fielding at the top level of his career - running the bases like he is a young man - and hitting like a Biaatch.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Morning Amigos - I'm looking forward to another week of the White Sox winning and the continued assault on empty outfield seats.

When you win a bunch in a row - players begin to play with confidence and that allows them to be more instinctive. Playing with confidence is always an edge.

One measure of that is as I sit here - I feel confident the White Sox will win this afternoon, but I couldn't tell you if it will be because of Robert, Moncada, Jimenez, Anderson, the catcher, or Cease just growing up before our eyes. Yet - you get the sense it will come from somewhere. I love good baseball. The Sox are even fielding well (except for Eloy swinging into the netting or losing out to a wall).

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Morning Amigos - I'm looking forward to another week of the White Sox winning and the continued assault on empty outfield seats.

When you win a bunch in a row - players begin to play with confidence and that allows them to be more instinctive. Playing with confidence is always an edge.

interesting ... and yet this theory breaks down at some point. otherwise they'd end up never losing again. :)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

An interesting stat pointed out on MLB channel's Quick Pitch. The Sox have belted more HRs in these last 7 games than 6 other teams have each hit all season. File that one under 'Holy Shit!!!'.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. His March/April are pretty much right in the middle of his other monthly splits. Not the best, not the worst. This is still the "start" of the season as well and he has possibly never been hotter.

José Abreu Career Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

I mean, we've been terrible during Jose's tenure here. Your first baseman should be contending to do that for your team every season. With these horrible losing teams he has been on? He damn well better be.

He is what he is. A middling to above average MLB first baseman - who becomes "okay to decent" due to his ability to almost always be healthy and ALWAYS be that. Heck, only really ever failing to be that guy in one season. I give credit there - it's valuable. I'll gladly admit, I thought he was destined for superstardom during that amazing rookie season. It didn't happen, though. There have been small bursts (2017 was damn good), but... otherwise? Eh.

Nothing more, nothing less. "Solid"

The end of the day does tell the story. We can agree there. His past two seasons he's been a 1.2 and 1.9 WAR first baseman (fangraphs). That is by definition "okay" (1.2 is borderline ugly, but it was his worst year, so I will look past it and digress). His 5.0 WAR season is drifting further and further away from us. He's descending into a landing.

And we just gave him 50 mil over 3 years (emphasis on 3 years, is my concern). A guy entering his mid-30's who is 15th in WAR among first baseman over the past two seasons?

A guy whose production has been surpassed by half of the first baseman in baseball over the past two seasons?

And we're all thrilled? Because of one good week? Okay...

Look, I don't think it will really hurt us. I'm sure he'll hold his own and not be total dead weight in years 2 and 3. But we could have done better. We could have given him a one year deal while we wait on Vaughn.

FWIW, I hate this debate, because I like Abreu. But I'm a hard data/facts guy and you all know this by now.

4cfo2z.jpg

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope these guys do end up winning it all...They're a really likeable group, that's for sure. Seeing them win it all would be enjoyable moreso than your typical "I want my team to win" deal.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win or lose today(and believe me I want the sweep so fucking bad) hope this isn't just a hot streak, hope this is closer to the new normal for a few years.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win or lose today(and believe me I want the sweep so fucking bad) hope this isn't just a hot streak, hope this is closer to the new normal for a few years.
Hahn went thru the painful teardown and rebuild for this very purpose - not just to be a one time wonder catching lightning in a bottle, but a ballclub that could and should be a perennial playoff threat for years to come. It's the primary reason he's locked up the three key cogs in this hit machine, Robert, Moncada, and Jimenez, to help carry this possibility thru the next half decade. And we still have TA for the next few years, plus the likes of Madrigal and Vaughn waiting in the wings.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahn went thru the painful teardown and rebuild for this very purpose - not just to be a one time wonder catching lightning in a bottle, but a ballclub that could and should be a perennial playoff threat for years to come. It's the primary reason he's locked up the three key cogs in this hit machine, Robert, Moncada, and Jimenez, to help carry this possibility thru the next half decade. And we still have TA for the next few years, plus the likes of Madrigal and Vaughn waiting in the wings.
[useful]

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep
Lotta young talent now, the window should be the next 4-5 years

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Captain Lou Abreu!

What a pimp.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the fake Wrigley crowd noise makes me angry.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF